Brookdale Northridge

17650 Devonshire Street, Northridge, CA, 91325

Reviews of Brookdale Northridge

Caring112402450 August 31, 2015

I visited Brookdale Northridge. Because the appointment was very last minute, they were not prepared to answer my questions. They told me they didn’t provide housing for Medi-Cal/Medicare. The facility itself was very nice. I would have liked to have used them, but I couldn’t because of the payment type. It’s very clean; the staff is very nice, too.

Nancy110583350 July 04, 2015

Brookdale Northridge (Formerly Emeritus at Northridge) was beautiful but way too expensive for my uncle's budget. I like everything about it -- it was friendly, it had activities and real nice food, the staff is very nice, and it has more of a homey feeling.

Diane105775250 June 18, 2015

We did go to Brookdale Northridge (Emeritus at Northridge) which was very pleasant. Very nice apartment, very nice dining area. Their entryway was more like a counter which made it look more medical. The staff that took us around was very friendly and very professional. They did not assign caregivers to the person; it was whatever caregivers were on call. I guess this has its pros and cons in one way; there are plenty of people there to answer your call if you need it.

Anna21 February 10, 2015

I like Brookdale Northridge a lot -- specifically the environment. They had veterans there. It is a big complex. They were also adding more suites to it. The place was clean, and the staff was very friendly, but they did not have memory care which my husband needs. The apartments were very nice, very clean, and very organized. The facility did not smell bad. They had a nice library, and people were doing different things like arts and crafts. It was nice.

Kathy100523350 January 17, 2015

My mother was in Emeritus, and it was very nice. I found them very caring. I thought the staff was excellent, and that's what impressed me.

Diane97510450 December 09, 2014

My aunt was in the skilled nursing facility in Emeritus. They did very good. Her room was good. Her skilled nursing situation was great. They had activities like exercise classes, bingo, and things like that.

Terri24 November 27, 2014

Emeritus at Northridge was fine, and the community itself and the environment seem fine. It didn’t seem like there were a lot of activities going on, but they did have a lot of services; the beauty salon seemed really nice which was important to my mother-in-law. The activities compared to the couple of other places we went where you saw a lot more mingling and socializing, at this place, we didn’t necessarily see it as much. The restaurant was very clean, and the building was a nice environment as far as all that, I just think that for the price comparison compared to the one that we like, we had decided we would chose the other facility.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your thoughts about our community. Please be assured that we are always trying to engage our residents through scheduled programs and outings designed with their interests and capabilities in mind. From fitness and education programs to cultural and social events, there is something for everyone!

Paige1 October 31, 2014

Emeritus at Northridge is a really nice facility. It’s got a restaurant-type dinner room where you can order off a menu. It’s clean and no smell. You find people everywhere from wheelchairs to people that go out and work every day. The price is right, and they worked with Veterans. It’s a nice room; mom shared her room with somebody else, but it’s a nice big room. They have a living area and a bedroom, and then they share a bathroom. There are other rooms where it’s just one big room and you can have your whole apartment in there depending on how you pay with, a restroom, and there’s enough room for microwave and fridge.

The staff is really kind and helpful, and they really tried to include the residents and daily life. It seems like they have relationships with the residents. They have all kinds of activities: they have art classes, scarf painting classes, and exercise classes. They have monthly fieldtrips where they take a bus out and go to some place, and weekly they have smaller things that they do throughout the week. All of the crafts and everything within the facility that you do there is paid for.

They usually get cheaper tickets to go and paid for lunch. The food is very good; there are lots of choices. They have a set menu, so if you have somebody that would like to eat the same thing every. They have a set menu for people like that or a set menu for like if they don’t like the other sources, they can go back to the regular stay in that day. They have two or three choices that they can choose from. There is a salad bar, and there is always desserts offered for people that are really cautious of their sugar and regular diets so the people have a choice. I think the cost is so much lower than most of the communities. For everything that you get in the community, I just think it’s a really good price, plus it’s for Veterans. They really work well with the Veterans and elder care, but its bridge between the cost of the community and the Veterans taking over the price.

Karen88328950 June 30, 2014

Emeritus is a very nice facility. We liked the fact that they have skilled nursing on-site. But the price was very high. We happened to be there during a meal. There were a lot of people there. Everybody was engaged, everyone was talking, and the staff was very in tune with their residents. We also liked the fact that they allow people to have pets, so they don't have to give up their pets if they decide to live there, which was nice. We were able to look at more rooms there and check out the facility more closely. The rooms were nice.

Amy21 March 29, 2014

Emeritus was very nice, I really liked the place. It was very homey and the location was very nice. It was off a main street. It still is far enough away, but they give you more of a feeling of countryside, which is lovely. The lady who showed me around who was in charge was extremely nice. I just liked her very, very much.

I would recommend them most definitely. It would seem like a good place for family, should they come and visit, because it's a comfortable environment and I think that they would enjoy being there. I was very impressed by it. I thought that was a really lovely place.

Michael40 January 31, 2014

I would give Emeritus at Northridge a high rating for upkeep and cleanliness. The staff was nice too. For activities though, I didn't see anything happening right then but they did have things listed on the wall. Also the price range was just too expensive for us.

Daniel6 August 28, 2013

We looked at Emeritus. I thought it was a very nice facility. I like everything about it other than the size of their apartments. They were just a little bit smaller than the other ones we saw.

cadburryflake February 20, 2013

My mom is currently staying at the nursing facility to recover from back surgery. The room and bathroom are clean and the staff is very caring. I moved her from another nursing home which was dirty and 4 people had to share a bathroom and no seat covers. The atmosphere is nice since it is also an assisted living home. It took a couple days for her to get settled. She didn't like eating in the dining room with the nursing patients so they let her go to the assisted living dining room which is much fancier. They are very eager to please.

Jay Bee October 30, 2012

I visited this facility to help my mother find a home for her aunt who is no longer able to live on her own but refused to live with us. There was a very pleasant atmosphere in the building and everyone seemed genuinely happy. We were greeted right away by staff who asked us the purpose of our visit and immediately assigned someone to give us a tour. The building was very clean. But not sterile and looked well cared for as did the residents we saw on our tour. Everyone we met/saw was engaged in activities such as cards. Games, reading or just chit chatting with other residents. There seemed to be a great community network there. The room we saw looked very homey and had plenty of room to move around and not feel claustrophobic. None of the residents seemed upset or on edge, it seemed like everyone was included in the activities.

visitor30 August 21, 2012

I visited this facility to help my grandparents choose where they wanted to live. They found that this place was very warm and welcoming. I noticed that the staff was amazing and greeted everyone with warm smiles and a warm personality. The facility is well equipped with necessary tools for elderly people to live in and the living conditions are very cozy. When I asked my grandparents if this was one of their candidates they agreed. The occupants are well occupied with games to play and the staff makes sure everyone is busy. There is a well situated fireplace for people to talk to each other and enjoy each other's company. The rooms are spacious and the overall area is decorated to make people feel like they are at home. It is also well maintained and is a very clean environment. This place is a great facility and seems to keep everyone busy and not bored.

bum_bero August 20, 2012

This facility is one of the best in san fernando valley. I give this 5 stars because i heard a lot of good feedbacks from my patients i pick up from this facility. Appearance wise, this facility is very clean and presentable. There is always a staff to walking around in case somebody needs help. The food for the resident looks really good. The staff always smiles which i think is very important in this kind of environment. There is always activities for the residents, like bingo, movie watching, or a small concert. Most of the staff here i think cares for the residents of this facility. They always try to make their residents happy and active. There is an ample parking space for the visitors and a nice recieving area. The rooms and bathrooms are always clean. The dining hall is very nice and well cleaned. Whenever i pick up a patient here i dont have to wait that long for them to get ready, actually they are mostly ready by the time we get there which helps ambulance companies a lot..

ant0mi July 11, 2012

Emeritus at Northridge is a perfect location for my grandpa. Not only does he get the care he needs there, but he is also close to his doctors in case of any emergencies. In terms of the amenities there, everything is new from the furniture, to the entertainment rooms, and the beautiful garden outside for my grandpa to take a walk around. Every time I go visit my grandpa, he always tells me there is something to do and he never gets bored compared to when he was living with us. In terms of the staff, they seem like very intelligent and caring professionals. They always tell me how my grandpa is doing every time I walk in and make sure I am up to date with his medicine since I am a pharmacist myself. One experience that I remember the most and still brings a smile to my face was last summer when I came to surprise him with a visit. When I got there, he was busy with a game him and his friends were having. I had never seen him that happy in years. He was socializing not only with the other elders but the nurses as well. I remember just standing at the door watching him just laugh to his hearts content. That's when I knew that this was the perfect place for him.

Matthew C. April 18, 2012

Brighton Gardens in Northridge, California seemed like a peaceful and content place for assisted living. I visited my grandfather there several times in the year and a half he lived there before he passed away. The staff was excellent: they were very helpful and seemed to run the place exceedingly well. My grandfather seemed to enjoy his living situation there as much as possible. He had many friends there, more than I think either he or I would have guessed. There were regular exercise classes and many events, and these appealed to my grandfather to a surprising degree. The food was good, given all the diet restrictions, but the silverware and glasses were not as clean as I would have liked; on more than one occasion it appeared that the utensils given to my grandfather were insufficiently clean. Overall, the establishment seemed first rate. I was reassured about my the assistance my grandfather was receiving each time I visited.

StephinSylmar February 17, 2012

Emeritus at Northridge is a clean, spacious and well-kept facility in the San Fernando Valley. My grandfather stayed here before transferring to another facility in the Sylmar area and he said he preferred this location out of the two because the furnishings were newer. Emeritus has apartment style and studio housing and plenty of common rooms to mingle in. I liked how there were many activities to join and a garden area to walk around. The staff was friendly, well trained and pretty personable. They always gave me updates whenever I visited and you could tell they really cared. This is a great facility if you can afford it, but we regrettably had to move my grandfather closer to home due to our inability to pay the $4,000 a month bill. Another positive to staying here is that it is very close to some of the Valley's best medical centers and was a quick 10 minute drive to my grandfather's doctor and dialysis appointments.

Caring53 July 30, 2011

Immaculate facility.Friendly staff. Sparky the dog helps guide the tour.

From Brookdale Northridge

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale Northridge