The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills

99 South Service Road, North Hills, NY, 11040

Reviews of The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills

Ethan S, Burger May 06, 2015

Hi:

My mother lived in the Bristal for approximately 4 years. I would highly recommend the Bristal at North Hills.

The residents seem to get along and are respectful of one another. They have programs for exercise and some more intellectual events.

The staff are seems to really care about the residents and treat then with dignity. They return phone calls if one calls about various things ! ! ! !.

They try to be accommodating, for example, I was always able to stay overnight when I visited from out of town.

I lived in Australia for 3 years. The Resident Relation Director Luz Jaramillo made a real effort to keep me informed about my mother's situation. She would even call me when my mom was having health issues on her day off.

They do a good job monitoring the patients. It is close to North Shore Hospital and if they have some concerns about a resident that react promptly.

The Bristal is not inexpensive but is better than most of the places my friends' parents are living at only sightly greater cost,

They operate a beauty shop about every other week.

If I had to identify a drawback, it has more to do with the facility's location and not teaching residents more about computers.

There is NO shopping nearby and walking there is quite difficult. They have a bus that takes the residents to shopping once or twice a week

Thank God for Amazon.com.

ShesAlmost91 March 06, 2015

The Bristal at North Hills has been home to my mother for more than 4 years now. The staff has been exceptional- caring and professional. They have guided us through many changes as Mom moved from Assisted Living to Reflections. They have shared advice and resolved many questions with their experience and knowledge. Mom is truly treated with dignity and respect. We sleep well knowing she is safe and happy. She is in a stimulating group environment. It's a beautiful home for us all.

Thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review. The staff will be thrilled to hear that you and your mom consider The Bristal North Hills your home. We really appreciate that you took the time to let us know.

Caring99303750 December 26, 2014

My mother moved into The Bristal North Hills. It's magnificent. It's wonderful. The facility doesn't smell like old people. It's beautiful, friendly, welcoming, immaculate, and well-maintained. It's lovely. They have a nice closet space, too. The staff is lovely, caring, and knowledgeable. They care as homelike as possible. Mom is 86, and she's really happy. I'm having a good experience, because my mom is. My husband, my mother, and I went together and investigated. It's the best out of all the places we looked.

Linda86272750 July 22, 2014

The Bristal seemed very quiet, and has not much activity going on. It was clean, modern and updated. The atmosphere was not as warm and friendly. I did like their friendship suite because they have their own bathroom. ItÕs like two little studios in one area but they have individual bathrooms. However, it was also pricier.

meredith11 May 05, 2014

My mom lived there for a while for assisted living, and it wasn't a positive experience. The one star was because she seemed to enjoy mealtimes but the food seems pretty bland so it could have been the company. There is a gatekeeper at the door who was not warm or friendly, kind of seemed like a security guard... I have met nicer doormen in the city. The people who run the facility did not seem compassionate to mom's needs. Seemed to be more run like a business rather than a home. A good clue is that one of the women who run the "show", her parents used to live there and they moved because they weren't happy there. I wouldn't recommend to anyone I cared about. However, I cannot review the area there where they care for alzheimer patients because that is a whole different experience.

The Bristal is proud to provide top-notch quality care. That being said, food is always one of the biggest challenges in Assisted Living for various reasons including individual tastes. In general, seniors due to a waning of sensitivity in their taste buds as they age can occasionally perceive food as bland. The meals are prepared without the addition of salt and concentrated sugars. Also, imagine eating in your favorite restaurant every night, 7 days a week 3 times per day.

In addition to the exceptional food at The Bristal we have professional, caring staff including our doorman Paul, at our North Hills residence. Everyone in our community loves him. He helps our residents and their guests to and from the building with any personal items, assists them in and out of their cars, and shields them from inclement weather. He is very sweet and is always smiling. We consider him a wonderful asset to our community.

Mom's Son February 01, 2014

The building is well maintained and the apartments are fairly spacious. The staff really seems to care and take pride in their work. They greet, schmooze, and engage the residents, and there are always activities and excursions for those who want to participate. Food services are probably their weakest "asset", but then again, I find it hard to believe any single place can always satisfy everyone day in and out. Mom has been there for a few years and management and staff have always been responsive to any issues or concerns we've had, and I know she is well cared for.

Ann39 January 31, 2014

Dad is at The Bristal. It’s a wonderful place and he loves it there. The place is actually terrific, but right now he needs 24/hour care. They have different types of rooms with different sizes. They have apartments with one bedroom, a living room, a kitchenette area, large bathroom, walk-in shower. He is now in a studio apartment which is very large one room that has a bed, a couch, a separate bathroom, a large bathroom, and kitchenette. Overall, it's wonderful. It's like being in a hotel. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and really nice. I couldn’t say a negative word about them.

Helaine1 August 30, 2013

Highest praise and gratitude for the Bristal North Hills team. Each person who works with my uncle has show the utmost compassion for him and for us. They are responsible for assuring all residents the most dignified life at all stages from independent living to supported care we could not do it without them!

Rachel 1 April 09, 2013

Bristal at North Hills is a beautiful place The people were very nice and accommodating. My father just thought it was too big for him. But I thought they were good.

scrivado13 October 18, 2012

My wife and I are extremely pleased with The Bristal community home, as is my mother in law. She praises the three gourmet meals that she gets per day. She has made many friends and is very social. I am particularly fond of the various activities they have throughout the week for her. But I believe what makes it over the top is the 24-hour emergency response. This ensures a sense of safety in my wife and I.

Val2 October 13, 2012

The staff was very hospitable and the conditions of the facility were exceedingly above those of the others facilities I visited. I would recommend facility and the location. The rooms were very nice and allowed for a comfortable, yet slow and endearing, end to one's life. I was very glad to have visited as I entertained the elderly. I loved the social aspect of it. They had weekly trips to theaters and other various events. They had scheduled card games, bingo, and parties. The community areas were beautiful and large enough to fit many residents at the same time. From my few visits, it seemed that the staff members were not only capable, but that they genuinely cared about doing the best job they could. They went out of their way to make sure not only that every resident was getting the best physical care that they required but also that their emotional needs were being met. The communal breakfast area allows both friends and new acquaintances to feel comfortable in their own environment, while the vast size of the room also allows for privacy for those who desire it.

nurseman007 June 25, 2012

I have been volunteering at the The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills for several months now. My volunteering experience has given me much insight into compassionate care, fear, vulnerability and suffering. On my first visit, I was impressed by the warm, comfortable furnishings of the nursing home. Even in the short time I spent at Bristal, I noticed how the residents were all treated with respect and compassion. I looked forward to my first "hands-on" visit.I did not realize how difficult that visit was going to be. I went into Bristal thinking I would be able to relate to the residents the same way I do with other people. I brought a deck of cards with me and even thought of some conversation starters.I was immediately assigned to help out with the Sewing Circle. As I have always been interested in sewing, crocheting and knitting, I was looking forward to this activity. When I walked into the room, six or seven wheelchairs were pulled up to the tables. About half of the women sat hunched over, staring vacantly into space. The other ladies were talking to one of the staff members, Sharon, about sewing in general. I joined in the conversation with enthusiasm and started working on a tote bag pattern.I soon realized that these ladies were not cognizant in the same sense one generally assumes people to be. Our conversations were circular. The women talked about the past as if it were the present; however, recent events such as lunch and today's activities were lost memories. Most of the women were physically incapable of tracing the tote-bag pattern. I found it difficult to find something to talk about with the residents for an extended period of time. We often ran out of things to say; I often could not understand what they were trying to tell me. Their daily life experiences were so different than mine. As the days went by I just felt we were family and everything went better than expected.

Every community of The Bristal is comprised of a diversity of residents, and each individual demonstrates different interests, strengths, capabilities, outlooks, needs and energy levels across a range of ages. The Bristal at North Hills is no different. Every resident is unique. Upon visiting a community of The Bristal, one might encounter residents with lots of vigor and get-up-and-go — playing bridge or canasta, lunching and socializing with friends, enjoying recreation and fitness — while others prefer taking it slow and enjoying a more laid back pace. And, quite frankly, there are others who are content to simply sit and nap and while the time away. We create activities and programs to keep our residents involved and engaged as much as possible, such as sewing groups and other social activities that might even involve the help of outside volunteers. But we must always remember that at this advanced age, some residents will be frailer than others and don’t engage as readily. The important thing to know is that all care and attention administered at The Bristal is highly personalized to fit the needs and interests of each individual, and everyone receives the high caliber of assistance that has come to distinguish our communities.

Thebest1090 November 16, 2011

This was a nice facility. The staff was very hospitable and the conditions of the facility were exceedingly above those of the others facilities we visited during our time france two years ago. I would recommend both the facility and the location. The rooms were very nice and allowed for a comfortable, yet slow and endearing, end to one's life. I was very glad to have visited as I entertained the elderly. I loved the social aspect of it. They had weekly trips to theaters and other various events. They had scheduled card games, bingo, and parties. The community areas were beautiful and large enough to fit many residents at the same time. From my few visits, it seemed that the staff members were not only capable, but that they genuinely cared about doing the best job they could. They went out of their way to make sure not only that every resident was getting the best physical care that they required but also that their emotional needs were being met. The communal breakfast area allows both friends and new acquaintances to feel comfortable in their own environment, while the vast size of the room also allows for privacy for those who desire it.

From The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills

The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills is dedicated to enhancing the lives of seniors by encouraging them to enjoy and express their independence in a luxurious setting. We boast gourmet dining, beautiful surroundings, weekly laundry and housekeeping services, cablevision and scheduled transportation to shopping, community activities and group outings.

At The Bristal, individuals will find that help is available, if needed, for personal care, medication management, meals, housekeeping, laundry, recreation and 24-hour per day supervision with our high staff-to-resident ratio, compassionate, and expertly-trained staff. Residents have a choice of studios, one and 2 bedroom apartments, replete with roomy kitchens and generous bathrooms. In addition, each Bristal houses a special area call Reflections for those adults who have early to mid-stage Alzheimer's and other memory related cognitive disorders.

The Bristal at North Hills lies in the heart of Long Island's Gold Coast, near Great Neck, Roslyn, Port Washington and Manhasset. High-end shopping and genteel lunching at the Americana are just five minutes away. As well as golf courses, libraries, churches and temples. Reach major thoroughfares like New Hyde Park Road, Shelter Rock Road and the Northern State Parkway and the Long Island Expressway in seconds. The Bristal at North Hills is situated between the very best hospitals on the Island...North Shore LIJ Heath System and St. Francis Hospitals. Not to mention that North Hills has its own outdoor swimming pool with sundeck for lazy afternoon lounging or more energetic lap swimming or water aerobics.

Features of The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills