Brookdale White Chapel

200 East Village Rd., Newark, DE, 19713

Reviews of Brookdale White Chapel

Caring103921650 May 13, 2015

Brookdale White Chapel is a beautiful place, and our tour went well there. I like the fact that it is right on the grounds of Newark Senior Center where she goes four days a week. Overall, this is a really great facility.

Caring106230950 February 17, 2015

I went to the one in Newark in the senior center area. The name is Brookdale White Chapel. I like the size of the room. I also like that the bedroom was off from the living room area. They have a nice looking dining facility, and they have a little exercise room. It is right next to the senior center so you can always walk over to it. They have a pool over there and a larger exercise room. This is the facility that I really liked.

Ken38 January 25, 2015

I visited Brookdale White Chapel. It was a nice place. The room was fine. It was surprisingly large and comfortable. They have the standard bingo and arts and crafts activities. They also have a shuttle service. The main thing I remembered about this place is that they have on-site physical therapy. Aside from that, in addition to physical therapy prescribed by a doctor, you can go to a Zumba class or whatever for those folks. I was expecting a nursing type of atmosphere, and Brookdale didn't have that. It looked like an active apartment building.

Caring96210550 January 19, 2015

We chose Brookdale at White Chapel for my parents-in-law because it's close to home. They have only been there a couple of weeks, and we haven't had any problems. The staff seems to be very helpful. Their room is nice sized, spacious, comfortable, and clean. The food has been good.

Lorraine29 December 12, 2014

Mom is at Brookdale White Chapel. So far they are very caring, sweet, and kind. I can go there any time of the day. I feel comfortable that mom is there as it feels like they are family, and I don’t think I would let her go anywhere else now. The grounds are very nice and well kept. The meals are excellent. They don’t offer too much commercial food, and that is very nice. There is always a holiday going on, and they invite families to come and join them. They have activities listed for them; if they chose to do them it's OK, and if they don’t then it's OK.

John88972650 November 22, 2014

My mother-in-law is at Brookdale White Chapel. I found that this one met the needs that we were looking for. The staff was very supportive. My father-in-law is a World War II Veteran, so at some point in the future, my mother-in-law may be eligible for some Veteran's benefit. When the resources get pretty well completed, we had the opportunity to get some Veterans benefit, and I wouldn't have known that without the staff at Brookdale telling me about it. My mother-in-law is in a single room, and it is very clean. Inside the room is the living area, and she has her own bathroom and her own kitchen. It is not very big, but her needs are small. She has some furniture, TV, and a sewing machine, so she is very comfortable. I went over for lunch two or three times to get a feel for the quality of the food, and it was excellent. I hope I get to live in a place like this someday. They have a lot of social activities. You can do as little or as much as you want to get involved. They do a lot of things that require social involvement. They do bingo, scrabble, and ice cream socials. They take them to the grocery store. My mother-in-law really got more independent now than she was living alone. They have an in-house physician who comes once a week. They also have an in-house podiatrist who comes every couple of weeks. The need to leave there for medical services is really quite minimal. Security is perfect at Brookdale. My mother-in-law wears a wrist band that shows where she is. The only suggestion that I have for them is to remind the residents specifically of when social activities are taking place by knocking on their door, because my mother-in-law has dementia, and she doesn't remember anything.

KJ2 March 28, 2014

Emeritus was very beautiful and has nice grounds. The people were friendly. It was one of the most beautiful places. The actual apartments were very small. I thought they were very tiny. But the rest of it was beautiful and updated. It seemed like there was a lot to do. The dining room was beautiful and very inviting. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It would be a very pleasant and beautiful place to live. The restaurant looked like you were in a beautiful fine dining place. It was an inviting and lovely place. The actual apartments to live in were very small.

Caring55834150 March 27, 2014

I liked Emeritus very much, but my mother thought it was a little overwhelming. The dining facility was quite large and she didn't feel as comfortable. She kept saying she felt like it was bigger than what she expected and had more people. I think the problem was we went close to Christmas time, and there were a lot of people in and out. I think it just seemed like there was too much activity. It made her uncomfortable.

We were treated very well during the visit. The man who showed me around was the head of the dining facility and he was very nice. They even knew from information we've given them that she liked to do bead work for necklaces. They gave us a little bead kit to give her just like a little gift. They went the extra mile to impress and make you feel comfortable. They sent a van down, picked us up, took us up for the visit and returned us home. I thought that was fabulous because I said to them that she was in a wheelchair and was not walking a lot. I was really shocked at that. They were so nice and so accommodating.

If I was choosing a facility for myself, I would have chosen that one because it was just kept up beautifully. The rooms were very nice, but my mother liked something that didn't feel like she was in such a big facility. The residents seemed to be pretty active. They were doing a bingo game when we were there.

Caring65434050 March 26, 2014

I absolutely liked White Chapel. They were absolutely wonderful and I would have chosen them first, had they had a room. I didn’t see a lot of activities, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have them. They had dining where they could order off a menu. They encouraged them to come down for a fine dining experience. The tables were always set, and they come around and waited on you.

Caring73556850 November 20, 2013

Emeritus had an active and very nice living environment. They had a couple that was Ukrainian so their people were staying ahead of the game and always keeping me engaged in trying to find somebody that could communicate with my mom. There was a lot of action. People were always in motion and that was a good thing. The marketing person was great. The nurses came by and were very nice. The place was wonderful.

kaykar July 11, 2012

This facility was very warm and welcoming. The staff was cheerful and the people living there were also very pleasant. Decor in the building was very classy and bright. The facility is also very clean and organized. I was there around dinner time and I felt that the residents were treated with respect by the staff, they were not treated as children, they were aloud to eat dinner if they chose and they also we able to pick what they wanted. Overall I think this was a great place the staff and residents as well as visitors all seemed to be pleased with the place. One of the residents had a cat that ran around the building and was very friendly. I think having an animal in that atmosphere is a great idea to lift spirits.

delaware April 14, 2012

This place is amazing they are always clean and the seniors are always happy. I have never gone in there and seen any one including staff unhappy. Since my grandfather did some of the recreational activities I would come and participate and it was a blast some seniors kicked my butt. They have tons of things for the seniors to do there besides sports they have bingo, card games, and they even go on trips. It makes me excited to be a senior if this is what I get to enjoy. They are right next to the senior center so all seniors in Delaware can go there and they have some of the sports in that center. Both centers are amazing and the seniors who want to that live in the assisted facility can just walk over to the senior center its really nice that way. They are very helpful my wifes grandparents lived there and loved it. When you drive threw newark it seems like it is in a bad area, but its nestled right in there and I haven't heard of any complaints. The landscaping is impeccable you have to see it the flowers are gorgeous. Lets see what else well if you go there to visit your family members get three meals a day and you can even bring food and they have a nice area to eat which actually reminds me of a restaurant. Anything else just ask.

From Brookdale White Chapel

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale White Chapel

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• General store
  • Hiking trails
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• Staff patient ratio: 11:1, mem care 8:1
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 67

• Licenses: Yes dual certification

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Brookdale White Chapel