Atria West 86 Assisted Living

Overview of Ratings

3.8

August 09, 2015

By ljoandob

This is a substandard facility. There is no service elevator so garbage and dirty laundry are packed into four small elevators along with service people. The elevators always break down and can barely hold a few people. The housekeeping is minimal, largely making beds and emptying trash; dust and dirt accumulate everywhere and bathrooms always smell like urine even after being "cleaned." Transportation is always booked and it is hard to get a cab on 86th west of West End. The lobby is filled with caregivers sitting around talking. It is a dark, depressing, exorbitantly expensive place. My parents were there for three months and boy am I glad that I moved them out.

Your frustrations are concerning to me and I've shared these comments with our leadership. I'd like to help and invite you to share anything else with me directly by sending me an email at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

August 01, 2015

By Wiz

Atria West 86 (senior assisted living facility) located at 333 West 86th St., NYC is an overpriced and overcrowded dump. Expect to be greatly overcharged on the monthly rent and all other services. The food is sub-standard and institutional grade. There is no cooking done on the premises, only the reheating of frozen foods. The building is infested with mice and water bugs. There are frequent breaks of water pipes and flooding of the residents apartments. The small elevators cannot handle the amount of residents with wheelchairs and walkers. It is typical to wait for an elevator over 30 minutes during meal times. The place is a fire trap. There has been several past fires in the building. The small stairwells are not sufficient to handle the amount of people living there in the event of an emergency. I don't know why the NYC Fire Department and Building department hasn't closed the place down.

I’m sorry to learn about you and your mom’s frustrations. We strive to provide a quality living experience for all of our residents and their families. I’m sorry that you didn’t meet your expectations. If you have anything else to share about your experience, I invite you to send me an email at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

February 11, 2015

Atria West 86 is beautiful. They had a coffee room that was open all the time. They served some coffee like a little café. I couldn't go there anyway because they said you have to be ambulatory. It is also extremely expensive. I liked their rooms. These were old hotels, so it was entirely different. It was very nice as well. They brought me up to the roof. They have a roof deck that has a beautiful view. They showed me everything like the hair salon. I went in a Sunday afternoon so there wasn't much going on, but they did show me their room where they show movies.

November 29, 2014

By Carrie15

My father is in the Atria. The location is good. It’s not too large. I like that it’s very well maintained. They have a lot of services for my dad and activities to keep him busy and stimulated. The rooms are really nice. The staff are very personable, reaching out, very engaging with my father, and professional but very nice. They’re very accessible by phone. Anytime I call them, there’s always somebody who answers the phone, and they’re very prompt to meet his needs.

November 01, 2014

I thought Atria West was the most comprehensive in terms of food choices and amenities, but it was very busy. It could have been busy at that time because we went there at lunch time and also the one or two of their elevators were under repair. Again, they had great menus and food choices. However, their studio apartments weren't spacious enough. Also I think it is the most expensive place I visited, but they did offer a lot in terms of amenities. And it was extremely clean. At that time, I liked the presentation. The staff showed me a lot, and she answered my questions. In terms of the tour, it was one of the better tours.

August 26, 2014

Atria West 86 was very nice. Yes, they had activities and there was a recreational area. I think their rooms were nicer. It was newer and fresher. They have nice staff who are very accommodating. The place was very clean.

May 30, 2014

By Caring20931650

My mother-in-law is at Atria West 86. They maintain the place very nicely, and it's very clean. The rooms were nice. She loves the food, and she is happy with that. I think the staff are friendly and respectful, although I don’t know much about them. Some things they are good at, and there are things that they are not good at. At the time when we were moving in, there was a lot of miscommunication going on with the staff.

We appreciate and value your feedback of our community. It is lovely to hear that your mother-in-law is happy with the food and our wonderful staff. I apologize for any miscommunication during her move-in and sincerely hope those concerns have been resolved. If we can be of further help to your family, please feel free to reach out via customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and if you include "Atria West 86" in your subject line, we will quickly be able to include the right people in the correspondence. Thank you again for reaching out!

April 30, 2014

Atria West 86 is in a very nice area. The building itself is a nice building, but the rooms are very small. For a one-bedroom apartment with two people occupying it, it's $11,000 a month, which is kind of high. They offer activities, but they don’t have outdoor activities, which is expected in the area. Although the nice part of that is they are very close to Riverside Park, which is a lovely park.

March 31, 2014

By Lora4

The rooms are tiny, and the elevators were small and inadequate. Those are two things I didn't like about Atria, and you have to walk to your table at meals. The sanitation is good.

Thank you for visiting our community. I am sorry that we did not end up being the right fit for you but if you would like information on our other communities in the area that might be more to your liking, we’d love to speak with you. Please feel free to reach out via customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and be sure to include “Atria West 86” in your subject line.

March 28, 2014

By Ros1

Expensive, but worth the money Long Term Care Insurance accepted

December 30, 2013

I had a very interesting visit at Atria West 86. It's a first class facility and very attractive. The place was nice and the staff were fine. The rooms are very nice. I haven’t tasted the food but it looked good. The menu looked good too. What I like best is that they have a sophisticated program and the facility is located in Manhattan.

October 26, 2013

I liked Atria West 86 a lot. It's really a very nice facility. It's probably the most expensive of all the places I've seen, but I liked it a great deal. The place seems very well appointed. I was only in there for about an hour, but I saw that the staff were perfectly nice.

August 10, 2013

By caring0801132

I visited Atrial West 86 and liked it because they go to Broadway shows and it seems they take full advantage of all the entertainment in the place, but I found them too expensive.

June 13, 2013

By eroshevsky

I went there for dinner and I saw that Atria West was very nice. The staff were also nice although I didn't like the residents too much. I sat down to play the piano after dinner and some people that were watching television asked me to stop playing and I didn't like that.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff at our community, and I do apologize for the confusion about the piano. Our residents are certainly provided opportunities to explore their musical side, and it was unfortunate that you were not able to experience that during your visit. I encourage you to visit us again soon and email us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com if you have any further concerns.

April 15, 2013

By Grannys best

Ask staff how many residents they have lost ...travelling the streets of nyc ...one ended up drowning in the river

Atria West 86 is a senior living community that provides independent and supportive living options. While our residents have the freedom to come and go as they please, we take great care and concern in providing the safest possible home for those who choose to live here. We encourage prospective residents and their families to ask us about our protocols and evaluate for themselves whether our community is appropriate for their needs.

August 27, 2012

By nycityboy

The staff there is very courteous and professional. They are very patient, even though grandma told the same stories over and over. They also have a respiratory therapist on staff which is great since most of the residents have breathing problems. He took the time to teach everyone how to use herbreathing machine. We first discovered Atria Senior Living a few years ago when Grandma had hip surgery and needed help while recovering. She is very independent minded and didn't want to be a burden on anyone. It was nice for her to have someone cook and clean for her for a change ! Speaking of clean the facilities are absolute spotless. We shopped around quite a bit, and I CAN TELL you most of the assisted living facilities in the area were filthy.Its hard to trust strangers to help take care of a loved one. Choosing Atria Senior Living was a great decision for grandma's live in care provider. The staff really put us at ease, and even scheduled an in home consultation interview. It was an opportunity for everyone to ask any questions they have,and they were able to access what level of care Grandma required. Grandma's caregivers have been excellent. They are very well trained, and very even tempered and relaxed. They also were very accommodating to grandmas changing needs. Even though 24 hour Homecare is very expensive, I know they are very competitively priced. My grandma spent her last days at a nice facility, staffed by caring professionals. I would highly recommend Atria Senior Living to everyone.

Photos of Atria West 86

About Atria West 86

Ideally situated and all-inclusive, this luxury residence is tailored exclusively to older New Yorkers – and makes it easier to live in the artistic and cultural heart of the City, just one block from scenic Riverside Park. Featuring handsome pre-war architecture, art deco-inspired finishes and 360-degree rooftop views – plus amenities that reach beyond the front doors and into the neighborhood – Atria West 86 offers all the qualities you prefer in the place you choose to call home.

Each day brings meaningful opportunities to motivate, inspire and delight. The social calendar includes on-site Jazz Foundation performances, tai chi classes, civic and volunteer efforts, New York Mandolin Orchestra rehearsals, renowned guest speakers from NYU and the Israeli Consulate, writers’ workshops and group outings to Broadway shows.

Amenities include 24/7 doorman, concierge and chauffeured town car service, scheduled bus transportation to appointments anywhere in Manhattan seven days a week, three on-site dining venues, and a penthouse fitness center and salon. Apartments feature modern fixtures and finishes, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.

Atria West 86 also offers:

• A choice of studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments
  • A full-time events director
  • Housekeeping and linen services
  • Maintenance of apartment, community and grounds
  • An emergency alert system in every apartment
  • A pet-friendly environment

Atria West 86 offers independent living and is licensed to provide supportive living services. Residents can benefit from many care services, several of which are not available at other private-pay senior living communities in the area. A full list is available upon request.

• Care staff and a licensed practical nurse on-site 24/7
  • Assistance with activities of daily living, including bathing, grooming, getting dressed and safety checks
  • Escorts to and from meals and events
  • Monitoring or assistance at mealtime
  • Insulin injections and sliding scale therapy
  • Medication assistance, including consultations with primary physicians and pharmacies and scheduled reviews by a licensed nurse
  • Incontinence management
  • Licensed physical, occupational and massage therapists available on-site

Atria Senior Living is a leading operator of independent living, assisted living, supportive living and memory care communities in nearly 200 locations in 27 states and seven Canadian provinces. Atria communities are home to more than 21,000 seniors and employ more than 14,800 people.

Featured Amenities: