Waterman Village Retirement Community

255 Waterman Avenue, Mount Dora, FL, 32757

Contact Now

Reviews of Waterman Village Retirement Community

Lynn S K June 21, 2015

We have lived here for 4 years and are very pleased, the activities provided are varied and meet our needs. We feel secure and know that help is available if and when we have health problems.

mudmarine May 28, 2015

Waterman Village is a beautiful place and well-landscaped. Staff is running around all over the place and very friendly. They have a fancy library, games, and restaurants, but the food was not that spectacular. It’s beautiful, but we wouldn’t be comfortable living there. It is not our style of living. They’ve got a bar, beauticians, and manicures. The apartments were beautiful, and a lot of people will probably love it.

Thanks for the review mumarine! Yes . . . . Waterman Village is very blessed to have celebrated our 25th year of service and ministry last year. As a not-for-profit organization, our Board of Directors continually strive to make Waterman Village the best senior living, and senior service provider, that we can be. Having worked for 25+ years in the senior living industry, I've experienced many different communities. I'd say what makes Waterman Village extra special, compared to other senior living communities that I worked at, is the staff. They are VERY friendly and compassionate. Jeff (Public Relations)

Caring106336350 May 06, 2015

Waterman Village looked excellent. It’s a nice, clean facility, and the hospitality was very good. They walked me around and showed their physical fitness facilities and medical facilities, and it’s rated very well here locally.

Caring87011750 June 28, 2014

Waterman Village at Mount Dora had lots of activities for the seniors to do. The main thing was that they had a swimming pool. They said that they were going to match my mother with people who might like to do quilting and knitting with her. So, they were willing to find her a match or work with people who also like to do the things that she likes to do. I liked their dining area, too. It seemed to be very nice. The place was very clean.

Caring87012750 June 19, 2014

I have friends that live in Waterman Village, and they all like it. Everybody is satisfied and comfortable. I checked out the manors, the duplex houses, and the independent living, and I think they are wonderful. I tried the food, and it is wonderful. The staff is fine and good. They have all kinds of activities, and they are good. They have buses that will take you out to different places.

I like it because I want independent living, and you have your own separate manor or a duplex, which I is an attached house, and you don't live in a high rise. Their location is near where I live now. It is in the same city, and it is close by. The whole place is good, but there's a waiting list to be in there.

Grizzly1 June 09, 2014

Very friendly atmosphere in the entire place. I've visited dozens of retirement homes. Some look so so, but the care is great. Some look like a five star hotel, but the care it poor. It's the people that make a difference.

green mansions March 21, 2013

Bridgewater is very attractive, clean, with nice apartments and public areas. However the care or supervision of patients is inadequate. There is no assistance or control of dietary needs...patients order from same menu as the sister independant facility uses, with no specific healthy choice menu to choose from. A second problem is the somewhat lax security. I entered the building at 7 PM and there was NO ONE at the reception or anywhere in the 1st floor public rooms. Anyone could enter and wander around.
It seems there is a more "hotel" atmosphere, with only superficial assistance.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the Bridgewater assisted living apartment complex at Waterman Village Retirement Community is not a locked/secured unit, like some assisted living residences are that specialize in accommodating people with advanced stages of dementia are. Many residents and family members comment to us how much they like our approach to maintaining a 'home-like' and 'non-institutional' living environment. We do meet/exceed state required staffing level requirements for licensed assisted care facilities. We do now offer on our dining menu, food choices that are clearly identified as 'healthy' choices. And, we offer options for diabetic residents, those on gluten-free diets, and those on low sodium diets. As an assisted living facility, we are not permitted to offer 'special clinical diets'. Based on my 25 years of senior living experience, Waterman Village is unique, in that it has a 24/7 staffed/gated entrance. Thank you for your feedback and for allowing us the opportunity to reply and dialogue.

Sylvia2 November 19, 2012

The first time I visited the facility I noticed that the security was in place, yet not overwhelming. The grounds and landscaping were very nice. The facility was clean and modern, very well kept with a nice dining room for the guests. My friend had broken his hip and had an extended stay there, I believe a month and a half. He was very happy with the staff and said they were very friendly and made him feel comfortable staying there. I witnessed "meal time" and the meals were presented on time and looked nutritional. He really seemed to have a good rapport with the Physical Therapist who almost became a friend to him. The room had all the conveniences that most anyone would need, including T.V. chair for guests and all the alarms and buttons that would allow him to call for help if he needed it. The only thing that my friend wasn't too happy with is the fact that he missed his post op doctor's appointment one day and had to ride in the van for hours before they returned to the facility. Seems as though they were short handed in the drivers department. Other than that he enjoyed his stay as much as anyone could under those conditions.

kitkat101 January 31, 2012

My mother is in her nineties, confined to a wheelchair due to having problems with both hips, and suffers great anxiety when moving or transferring from the chair to other places such as the bed, toilet, or dining chair. She is capable of doing these things with assistance, but greatly fears another fall and sometimes becomes shaky. She prefers to have two aides present when being assisted with her shower, a simple comfort measure that often goes unfillfilled. She also knows on the dot when her regular pain medication is due, and is insistent on asking for it evertime whether she is in pain or not as a measure to control the pain from spiking. She tells me that the nearly 300lb regular Med Tech on her floor is often short on patience with her, and rarely has these DOCTOR ORDERED pain meds ready for her until after she asks, treating it as if she were just taking them for fun or lack of something else to do. I believe that Bridgewater isn't all bad, but could use a major staffing cleanout.

tealites January 28, 2012

This is a lovely assisted living facility located in a semi rural area of Central Florida. It has a gated entrance with attendants to verify guests and vendors entering the property. Prior to arriving at the main entrance of the facility there is ample parking for visitors as well as a shuttle van drop off for the residents. It is a spacious facility with resident rooms located on the ground floor as well as the two floors above. The front desk staff is especially friendly and helpful to visitors and residents needing aid to and from activities or the dining hall. They often times have live entertainment in addition to staff hosted functions. Residents have access to beauty and barber services on site as well as transportation to and from appointments off site. Meals are served in a large dining room with small groups of tables dressed in linens for the residents and their guests to enjoy. The meals are prepared with variety and health conscious choices in mind.

SandyHelmrich January 19, 2011

don't bring any valuables

I agree that Bridgewater is a great facility visually, but also share the frustration related to level of care. My mother Ruth is active and able bodied, but suffers from dementia and is prone to wander. My family decided to remove her from the facility after she was able to not only exit the building undetected several times, but once she even got outside of the entire community and was found several blocks away when she approached a stranger and told them that she was lost. Another deciding factor was that we had experienced several minor petty thefts, most commonly money taken out of my mother's wallet. At first I though maybe she was losing her money or giving it away, so I began making her photocopies of dollar bills, knowing that she had no real need to spend them. The counterfeit money never came up missing, which only confirmed my suspicions of thievery.

Thank you for your review. Our Bridgewater assisted living apartment residence is not a 'locked-secured' unit, like some assisted living and nursing home facilities are. If a resident develops advanced stages of dementia, we work with family to either: a) hire a one-on-one care giver, or b) work with the resident's family to find a more suitable/alternative living placement, such as a locked/secured nursing home dementia care unit. We take allegations of theft very seriously and investigate them thoroughly. In my 25 years of experience working in senior living communities, often times, residents with memory impairment will accidentally misplace things, and we find them later on. It's extremely common. I spoke with our assisted living administrator, and they said there have been no pattern of theft incidents or allegations, since this situation in 2011. We'd love to have anyone come out for a tour to meet our staff, residents, and family members. Operating by our not-for-profit mission and ministry goals, are very important us.

Clyde Shearer August 12, 2010

Review

To let you know how satisfied we are with Bridgewater @ least 99% of the time. The help on the wing where my mother resides are friendly and helpful, wing where room 118 is located. Maureen and Yvonne and Mrs. Ritchie and the beauty salon help are outstanding, along with the other office personnel The activities director keeps those who are interested busy and might add she probably has her hands full with those senior citizens. All of us in our family who care for my mother, Ruth Shearer, appreciate the help that might be needed ocassionaly for mom. The 1% complaint is the food not always hot or at least warm and I imagine this could be at any facility such as this. We always talk-up Bridgewater and convey our appreciation.

From Waterman Village Retirement Community

Waterman Village Retirement Community is a leading established multi-level of living, life-care, continuing care like community (independent living-assisted living-and nursing care facility ALL on the SAME campus), located in the Central - Orlando - Leesburg area Florida area town of Mount Dora, FL. Non-denominational. Compare/visit before you decide on a place for yourself, or your loved one. Since 1989.

• All levels of living on one campus (independent living homes, assisted living apartments, nursing/memory/rehabilitation care centers). No need to make 'another' major move in the future. Key benefit.
  • Full-service pharmacy and home care agency right on campus.
  • Full-service dental office by guard house.
  • One of the largest IL activity staff's, of any community you'll find in the U.S.
  • Not-for-profit owned, and managed, ministry. Non-denominational.
  • Located in the #1 Ranked Small Town in FL (Mount Dora) to Retire to (USA TODAY)
  • No matter where you live, it's worth the move to Waterman Village (Just NW of Orlando and E of Leesburg).
  • Compare before you decide. You'll be glad you did

Mount Dora Florida was ranked by USA TODAY, as the #1 Small Town in Florida to Retire to, and #4 in the entire U.S. There's no better small town in Florida, that allows residents to remain so active, engaged, involved, and stimulated. The only not-for-profit owned, and not-for-profit managed (ministry driven) community of its type, in Lake County Florida). Non-denominational.

Features of Waterman Village Retirement Community

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Skilled nursing
  • Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: We have 24 hour nurses.
  • Hospice care

• Hiking trails
  • 24-hour security gate
  • Pool
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Pharmacy and Home Health Care Agency right ON SITE

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi

• Private services

• Monthly rent is all inclusive
  • Minimum memory care rate: $7,110/month