Mountview

2640 Honolulu Avenue, Montrose, CA, 91020

Reviews of Mountview

Stephanie38 December 15, 2015

Elmcroft of Mountview was a nice, lovely place and my second choice. The only reason we didn’t go with it was because it was a little more hotel-style, and they didn’t have an opening in memory care. The price was comparative, though. We visited it four or five times, and everybody that we spoke to was smiling. The residents were clean and seemed to be well cared for and happy. There were plenty of activities and offered field trips because they’re really close to a shopping community. They would take them different places, too, which was another attractive thing to us.

Caring111613250 August 14, 2015

The woman who gave me the tour at Elmcroft was very knowledgeable. It was just a little bit more expensive that my stepmom could afford. The dining room was well laid out, I liked the fact that they weren’t as fine tuning, that people could sit wherever they wanted to sit. It made us feel like it was a little bit more of a community. They were comfortable to the others that I have seen, and I thought that the kitchen area wasn’t as defined as the other facility I visited. I know that they had the support dogs there.

Donna107643150 May 28, 2015

We liked Mountview a lot, but there were a couple of things that they just could not handle because I needed a caregiver 24 hours, and they really didn't have those available. The staff was very nice, very kind, and helpful. We went to the dining room, and they were eating dinner in there. It was very nice, pretty, and very homey. The food was very good. They gave us a menu, we got to pick what we like to eat, and they were all very good. I prefer the ones where you walk into the shower. They had a couple of those in the whole place, but it was in a two-bedroom, and it was a little more than what I could afford. Most of them had tubs, but they weren't big enough for my walker. The place looked very clean to me.

Nazareth1 April 22, 2014

The building of Mountview was very old, and they were refurbishing it. The rooms and dining room were also old. They said that they had activities and programs, but I didn’t participate. I didn’t see anything special about the place.

Susan73384650 January 31, 2014

My mother moved in last August to Mountview. It was chosen because it had a warm and welcoming feeling when we walked in. Everyone on the staff greeted us with a smile. Based on what the executive director and the marketing person told us, it looked like it was going to fit all of my mother's needs from the moment she moved in until the end of her life. The rooms are fantastic. They're bright and clean. She has two rooms and two bathrooms plus a patio. Of all the places, that's really the only place that's going to suit all of her needs and they have done that. My mother has declined quite a bit in a few months that she has been there and they really have catered to her needs. She doesn't have any really health issues, she's just really old. Regarding food though, when there was a chef when we first moved my mother in, the food was very good. However, he has since left and the food is really bad now. For activities, they have bingo, music trivia, movie trivia, and those kinds of things. They often have some entertainment. They have something going on several times every single day. The residents really seem to like that. They do a good job with that. The activity directors are great. All the caregivers are wonderful as well. However, I don't think the executive director does a good job.

KatV January 25, 2014

Do not place your parent in this facility if he or she has more than moderate health issues. I would say this place is best for elderly persons who are no longer able to cook or otherwise maintain their homes, but are in reasonably good health for their age.

My brother and I specified, verbally and in writing, what type of care our mother would need before she was admitted. We were assured her needs would be met. They were not, and from what I witnessed, she was not alone.

My mother, with moderate dementia, was subjected to haphazard bathing, sores, infections, and rough treatment by at least one "caregiver" that I witnessed. They consistently gave her the wrong incontinence care products, forgot to give her her glasses and hearing aids, and lost her wheelchair ("But she's doing fine with her walker!" the executive director told me. That's when I complained to corporate and they finally coughed up a check for a replacement).

I got complaints from the head nurse about her "wandering," even though my brother and I specified beforehand that this was an issue. When the doctor recommended that my mother be given daily ear drop treatments, I gave the solutions to the nurse's station and asked if a nurse could possibly do the treatments. The nurse on duty laughed at me.

We agreed to put her in the dementia care unit several times a week. During one visit, two caregivers assisted my mother in the restroom, although she did not need such assistance. When they did so, there were no caregivers at all in the common area. One resident leaned forward from her wheelchair until her head hit the table. I gently eased her back to sit up. She then did it again, and I repeated the action.

I witnessed residents repeatedly calling for someone to wheel them into the dining room at dinner time, and I assisted.

The executive director, who proudly displays her diploma from the online University of Phoenix on her wall, was consistently less than patient with my requests and complaints. I'm sure I was not easy, but it was our mother's life -- and her and our finances -- that was in Mountview's hands, so no, I have no patience with her impatience.

My mother is now in hospice care at home. My brother and I have agonized over our decision to have placed her at Mountview -- which was recommended by a local hospital. We did what we thought was best, but taking her out of there was the best decision of all.

Thank you for your review. Our regional and corporate teams have been briefed on your concerns. We’d like to take this opportunity to apologize for your experience at our community.

We take pride in providing the finest care and service to our residents. Recent survey results show that 95% of residents and family members would recommend Mountview to others. However there is always room for improvement. Please know that we truly value your feedback, its paramount to helping us better serve our residents and their families.

Again, thank you for your review.

Marcia13 December 13, 2013

Mountview seemed much more equipped for only assisted living rather than the more critical care nursing that would sometimes be required. It was homey enough.

caringLi1 August 27, 2013

It was very nice at Mountview Senior Living but it didn't have any outdoor space. It had a really nice dining facility; it was very clean. People were really nice, knowledgeable, and very professional. The facility was just all enclosed and I didn't think that would be good for my dad.

Elizabeth20 August 01, 2013

The best thing about Mountview Retirement was that it was nearby and it was in a safe and quite neighborhood. The staff and environment were not overwhelming but they were fine. I thought the food was okay. The level of activities seemed fine. It was certainly an option if my mother-in-law would want to move in. But perhaps they could improve on the food and the levels and quantity of activities.

R2Here2 November 08, 2012

Reception was warm and positive, facility was clean and well kept. Most importantly, however, my grandmother found it an acceptable compromise between assistance living and hands off. She's a very independent person, and Mount View accommodated her needs.Rooms were in good condition and well kept. No dinginess that was a memory of other assisted living facilities. Mount View appeared to take pride in their facility and their caretakers. Staff was courteous and helpful, and grandmother reports they continue to be so after she is on her own. This is key at assisted living facilities: many have issues with public vs. private performance. Food served at Mount View seemed acceptable. Grandmother has had no complaints to date, which is a minor miracle she complains about everything. Variety seems fine. Facilities (dining area, room dining, etc.) are great, and allow for any degree of personal interaction she wishes for. Common area interactions also seem upbeat and interesting, helping keep her involved in the world and from withdrawing. Overall, Mount View has met and exceeded our expectations, providing a helping hand in supporting a spirited elderly woman.

From Mountview

Residents of Mountview are proud of the independence they maintain and enjoy the security of 24-hour personalized assistance. While we offer a helping hand with day-to-day tasks such as dressing, bathing and medication monitoring, they are treated as the accomplished individuals they are. They enjoy the freedom of choosing their own agenda and activities, while feeling secure in knowing that we are always there to provide support should they need it.

Vitality Club: Life enhancement program that helps residents to achieve balance. -- Second Wind Dreams: Gives residents the chance to realize life long dreams and that dreams do come true. -- Heartland Village (Memory care): Best Friends approach to Care Giving. -- Walking Tall: Fall Awareness Program

Features of Mountview

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Activities extra: Pet therapy

• Private services

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Dining extra: Private dining room

• We charge an entry fee
  • Minimum memory care rate: $5,820/month

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 60

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): 197607164