Brookdale North Mesa

2122 E. Brown Road, Mesa, AZ, 85213

Reviews of Brookdale North Mesa

Dan48 October 29, 2015

Brookdale was an older facility. I wasn’t too impressed with the layout of the memory care and the unit. It seemed to lack in warmth and coziness, but the staff is very friendly and nice. The facility could be a little more homey. It's just one big room without much furniture, and it looked like a big, open gymnasium. It wasn’t very comforting.

Betty113328450 September 17, 2015

I think they are very friendly at Brookdale North Mesa, and I like the looks of the place. It looks homey. I like their windows. For my relative, it is about the right size. It is not too big and not too small. It has the kind of things that I think he would like. It has a very nice-looking dining room. They have bingo.

Caring110931250 August 31, 2015

My grandmother just moved in at Brookdale North Mesa (formerly Emeritus at Mesa). It's close to my mom, the price was good, she had her own washer and dryer, and she had a walk-in shower. They do take their residents to their doctor's appointments.

Lisa110792450 August 21, 2015

I thought the staff was good at Brookdale North Mesa. My dad was in the memory care unit where he was given quite a bit of individual attention, but maybe they could do a little bit more research to find out how people are going to adjust because he did not adjust very well to it at all. The place was pretty nice. The activities for the memory care were very good.

Evelyn16 June 29, 2015

I visited Brookdale North Mesa a couple of months ago. It was a nice community, but I don't think it would be a nice fit for me. I was looking for an independent community at that time. The rooms were kinda dark and small too. The community area was not that big. It was very clean though. I had one meal with the staff who toured me around. I thought the food was fine. The person who assisted me during my visit even introduced me to the residents. Overall, I would say it was an average community.

Caring107821550 May 28, 2015

Brookdale North Mesa (Emeritus at Mesa) was an older building. It’s located near a golf course, and I like the little park also. The building itself was nice and clean. There were not that many patients; I thought that my sister would get more care and more individual attention there. The personnel were great. The young lady was very determined that she could help my sister to walk again. She was very helpful and very convincing.

I was specifically looking at a studio apartment; it was not as roomy as the other facilities that I have seen, and the refrigerator was not bigger. I like the security system where they have to have it locked at a certain time because of Alzheimer's.

Caring94112950 December 26, 2014

Brookdale North Mesa was all excellent. I had no problems at all. The rent was $3,000 a month, so it was more suited for our money. Other than that, we were greeted upfront, and the food was good.

Caring99787650 October 03, 2014

The staff at Emeritus at Mesa was okay. Whoever I talked to was really, really nice. Their rooms were beautiful. Their dining room was very nice. Their menu was very nice too. They had a lot of stuff going on in terms of activities. They had board games and exercise activities. What I like best about it was that it looked peaceful. It was very well-kept. The grounds were well-kept.

Caring94634750 September 08, 2014

We visited Emeritus at Mesa. It was extremely clean. The environment is really cheery and well-lit. We had lunch there and the food was good. They had a salad bar and they also had live music. Somebody was playing the jazz piano. I think the staff really cared about the residents. They were very friendly. We were able to look at the rooms. There’s room enough for a bed and a couch, a small bathroom, small kitchen, closet space and they would have them set up, but there was no furniture in the room. I only saw one activity and it was trivia type thing. They allowed pets in the facility.

Caring90329650 August 07, 2014

The rooms at Emeritus at Mesa were fine. The food was okay. The dining area was okay.

Caring83065250 April 11, 2014

The outside look of Emeritus at Mesa is fine. The tour was fine until we went to one of their rooms, and that is where I knew that I wouldn’t put mom in there because it's like a converted hotel, and the rooms just seemed deficient. We were not just interested after we saw that room. The staff seemed very friendly, cordial, and pretty informed of what they have there. I know they have exercises classes and trips around town. Overall, it was nice, but the rooms turned me off.

Vincenz88 February 12, 2014

This is not a safe place for residents. Mismanaged medications, neglect, dirty unkempt residents, dismissive caretakers. My mothers' health and condition declined rapidly after moving in. She suffered many injuries while living there.

Caring75521950 December 27, 2013

The thing that I liked about Emeritus was that even though they were limited, they gave the residents choices as what they would eat for dinner and they set it up almost like a restaurant. The dining room was set up very nice and they had it very clean and very pretty. They're newer buildings and I've never heard of any complaints about having the right amount of heat or air conditioning. That's very important because anyone wants to be comfortable for paying a lot of money. They had a nurse, an administrator and a social worker that's there most of the time and is important because that way, any of the needs of a resident can be taken care of with those three different positions there. They're very attentive.

Nancy72977350 December 13, 2013

Right now, he's at Emeritus, he's been there since August. I liked the rooms at the time and they had just remodeled it so I picked it for that reason. He is in assisted living but they have seven levels of care. He's at the seventh level, the highest level of care is required. They have a lot of activities but he's not able to participate in any of them.

Caring0207 October 28, 2013

At Emeritus, it was the price that stopped me from going there. I also really didn't go to look at their rooms, although they did have a place upfront where they have their luncheons and stuff like that. They also have gathering places throughout the facility. The staff was friendly and helpful. They know what they're doing.

Feystep October 22, 2013

Lost my grandmothers medication multiple of times, wouldn't shower her for two weeks, also would forget to take her to her dr. Appointments when scheduled end to with bus

Patricia37 October 01, 2013

We placed dad at Emeritus at Mesa. I really like the personality of the people in that facility. The staff are very helpful. I also like that the place was very clean. My dad shares a room with a another person, but the room is spacious enough for them.

Chris26 August 10, 2013

I chose Emeritus at Mesa for my mom because it was small, open, bright, and very light. The room was of a really nice size. The bathroom is wonderful, it's big enough to put a wheelchair in it. The people that I talked to were really nice. I just felt she would be comfortable there and she is only 10 minutes from me. As far as I can see they do a lot of activities, but my mom is not a really social person.

Anonymous3494 July 26, 2013

I contacted Emeritus at Mesa because that was a direction that my parents were thinking of moving. The people that assisted me when I visited the place were terrific. They were very informative and they answered all my questions. The facility was really nice. They said that they were getting ready to go through a remodel so in a few months it would be looking completely different. She did let me look at their calendar and there were quite a few activities on it. There were some cooking and craft classes. They have bingos and game night. They also go to the malls, so they got lots of activities. It would be nice if they could expand to a few bigger units. I was impressed the setup of the place but it has a feel of a nursing home.

JP1 April 09, 2013

I toured Emeritus at Meza. But the online feedback from the people that have loved ones there and people just visiting actually helped me make my decision. And the feedback said they train their people really well. Both my parents are in there right now. The staff seem to genuinely care for the residents and they are on top of everything. However, the rooms are a bit cramped, and sometimes I wish the communication would be more efficient.

salis October 25, 2012

This is a beautiful one story facility. The grounds and courtyard are beautiful very park like. The courtyard is a setting with lush greenery nand flowers. There are numerous walking paths and sitting areas with a patio and bbq area. There are lots of activities for residents to enjoy. BBQ's, party's and lots of other things. They go outside of the facility for shopping and movies almost everyday.

Caring8683 June 11, 2012

After I looked at the Emeritus, I like the layout and the fact that it had a walkway all the way around it outside which is fenced in or walled in so that nobody can get out and in the summer time they can walk out there. Like the fact that the place is divided into 4 sections. There's about 14 people in each section and they have their own little living room and their own little dining room. My husband has a room by himself. It's a very nice room. It's good size and it has its own bathroom. It has a closet, a bed, a night stand and a dresser. I go over there about every other day, maybe I won't eventually, and I find all the staff very caring. They seem to be interested in keeping him happy and keeping him busy and out of trouble. He has the tendency to be in trouble. He likes to keep busy and so he is trying to get busy whether they want to or not so they really have to keep an eye on him and they do a pretty good job at that. There are some activities that go on there however my husband is not one of the people that's getting that much good on some of the activities. A lot people there really enjoy the music and other things but that's not his thing but the rest of the people seem to be enjoying it. He was a carpenter and was also a farmer so they get things around for him. In fact they made some little aprons for him with pockets he can put some of those things that he might enjoy. They just do that. Some of the people there like the caretakers take it upon themselves to make these things. He also had hospice working for him. They do that too like make things for him that keep him entertained. They had a barbecue there one night and families were invited and it was very nice. This next Saturday, my grandson and my daughter and my grandson's girlfriend are all going there to eat with him. They have a studio room that we can book and they furnish the food and we pay $5 per person so that's $20 for the 4 of us and we're going to be able to have dinner with him on Saturday. I am very satisfied with how my husband is being taken care of in this place.

Moms son February 04, 2012

The staff is great everyone is so friendly, it just seems to be short staffed. Mom loves the place. Thx

CrymznWych October 22, 2011

The facilities were clean and cozy, the staff very helpful, and compassionate. They went out of their way to help walk us through the process of admitting my father.

Emmyrose August 26, 2011

This is a beautiful one story facility. The grounds and courtyard are beautiful. The courtyard is a park-like setting with lush greenery nand flowers. There are numerous walking paths and sitting areas with a patio and bbq area.

There are 63 aparyments which are 1 bedroom and large and small studios. The kitchen has a sink, microwave and cabinets bur no refrigerato. The family may provide a small one.There is arefrigerator for perishables in the activities room. All apartments are handicapped equipped and have emergency buttons. The interior is beautiful with lots of decor and well furnished. It is very clean.

They only accept residents who are assisted or memory care.

Meals are served in the formal dining room. They serve three meals and snacks. They are geared to diabetic diets and provide lots of variety. the food is good.

They do provide transportation to doctors, appointments and outings.

The staff is very nice and caring. They have a house doctor who comes in and on call. They have an LPN on duty and their director is n RN, their head nurse , and an RN is in the Memory care unit. All are certified caregivers and depending on residents needs the ratio changes.

They have a beauty salon, physical therapy, and activities director.

They are very big on activities and resident independence. They have daily morning exercises, they have numerous in house activities like bing, sing-a-longs, movies, socials, and outside enyrtyainment. They have parties and bbqs., They have a lot of family activities. They go out almost daily fpr shopping, movies, museums, breakfasts and lunch and other events.

This is a very good facility with lots of TLC.

leezee June 23, 2011

I visited this facility with my mother and a friend of my mother's who was also looking into assisted living.

Absolutely beautiful area, right on Brown road in Mesa. The main building resembles more of a country house or a house one might see as they were driving up to an orange grove. Bright white with green trim. Extremely inviting with tons upon tons of foliage and flowers, big open doors that lead into a large foray.

We weren't two feet in the doors when a staff member greeted us warmly and said she'd be happy to show us around. That was pretty cool because we didn't make an appointment, we just happened to spot the place while driving home from a different facility.

They certainly seem to go above and beyond with this place. Gorgeous landscaping with gazebo's and as I mentioned earlier, the most well kept foliage. The dining room had to have been my favorite as it is directly open to a large and roomy kitchen, just like a home kitchen. Literally, you can sit at the table and view the entire kitchen, the cabinetry, the sink, the refrigerator. Beautifully thought of, I think.

The rooms are so pretty! Private bath with open showers, hand rails that you don't even really notice are handrails. I really liked how they offer private rooms or what they call ""friendship"" rooms. It was funny because my mom and her friend that was with us both laughed and said, ""Oh! We can be roomies!""

The staff was impeccably kind. They really made you feel welcome, like I said, a home.

It was funny because as we were leaving, we each picked up a brochure. While browsing through it I noticed how they stated they were ""nestled in the heart of Mesa's orange groves"". That was exactly my impression of the place before I even knew it!

A lovely facility. I will certainly keep it high on my own list of options as I myself age and may someday require assisted living.

TickoSco June 12, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

My grandfather has been living at Emeritus for almost a year now. We chose it for him because we heard that they had a special program for Alzheimer's patients (my grandfather has been suffering from Alzheimer's for nearly three years now), and because it is located close to my home, my siblings' homes, and my parents' home. So far, Emeritus has been great with my grandfather: he seems happy there, and the staff is incredibly friendly, helpful, and understanding. One of the best things about Emeritus is that it doesn't feel like a retirement home/assisted living home most of the time: it has the feeling of an expensive neighborhood with nice landscaping, good living amenities, and the like. I'd definitely recommend it (and have recommended it several times already) to anyone who was looking for a good place for their aging loved ones to live.

From Brookdale North Mesa

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale North Mesa