Virginia Place

Overview of Ratings

4.2

August 26, 2015

By Disallusionedagain

My mother was a resident for several years. The food was TERRIBLE - almost inedible - and they nickel and dime you to death. The rates automatically go up every year, and they look for things to mark on the semi-annual patient evaluations that would also jack up the cost. The management changes frequently and the employee turnover is horrendous. Physically, it's a nice place, but the weekly housekeeping is a joke - the vacuum cleaner should have been replaced years ago as it picks up nothing. I did get the feeling they genuinely care about the residents, but the costs escalate rapidly, so don't count on the introductory rent staying at that level for more than 6 months.

May 07, 2015

By Robert106438250

Brookdale Merrillville was rather small compared to some of the other homes in Northwest Indiana. It was pleasant on the outside. It was in a large commercial area, but it had nice grounds around it. It wasn't a very large place. What I really liked about it was that they were upfront right away with the cost. It was neat and clean. They had the dining hall and sun porches. They have people that come in and entertain them. They have clubs, and they've got a bus that transports them to outside activities and medical facilities. It seemed comfortable. They had enough employees to handle the amount of people they have.

March 01, 2015

We went with Brookdale in Merrillville. There is nothing I liked best. We hated it. The management was terrible. My mom fell and sprained her ankle. They turned her to the ER. They wanted to take her back even after they didn't watch her, so we had to tell the hospital not to bring her back there. The whole facility was pretty gross. The CNAs were good, and the nurses were nice. The management only cares about the money and not the welfare of the patients. The location looked fine. It was in close proximity to a hospital.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. Please be assured the safety and well-being of our residents is our first priority and we share their concerns as well as the concerns of their families and friends. We will share your feedback to help better serve our residents and their families in the future.

December 18, 2014

My mother is at Brookdale. The apartment is very nice. It is spacious enough for her. She has a courtyard view, and she can stand outside and watch the birds. She has her own porch. It is all on one level, so I don't have to worry about a balcony or anything like that. The staff is very nice and very cordial. They work well with me and my mother. They have no pool or gym, but they have activities to keep her busy. I have tried their food. The day I was there I had beef roast, and it was very nice. My mom hasn't complained about the food. Actually, the food is pretty good. They have a very beautiful dining area.

September 01, 2014

My friend is in Brookdale Place and my visit there is wonderful. The place is clean. The staff is friendly. There isn't anything that they are not able to tell me. They have one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. They have a list of activities. The price is average.

September 01, 2014

By C.M.1

I really like Brookdale of Merrillville. It is a nice, small, community with caring staff and nice, comfortable environment.

October 09, 2013

By Joy14

We went to Sterling House. The rooms were very small. Though they had no doctor on staff, the people there were very nice and friendly. However, their fee was higher. It also seemed like every time you turned around, there was fee for everything. They even charge $50 a month if the residents had to make even just one phone call.

March 16, 2012

By AustinF

My grandfather stayed at Sterling House for an extended period of time, and they were great to him. The staff was very friendly, the facilities were above average, and there was just a good vibe. At one point, my grandfather's condition worsened, and we could see the end was near. There were 20 people in his room, and the staff was even so kind as to let us use two of the empty rooms next door to sleep in. Even with 20 people there for 4 days, they continued to show their kindness, and allowed us all to be there with him. As for the food, it was great. Sure, it wasn't gourmet, but it was good enough. It really just blew my mind how well they treated us, and the level of care my grandfather was given. Great facilities, great staff, and an overall great facility. I would recommend Sterling House to anyone, any day.

December 16, 2011

By commercesd

Since we would be in Merrillville checking out another facility, we made it a point to visit Sterling House in the same region. Our aunt has a lot of friends and family near the area "“ so it is a favorite of ours. It is important to us that our aunt really enjoy her later years "“ and we feel she can do that best in somewhat familiar surroundings. She has early dementia "“ so we want her to be as comfortable as she can be when we are not around. We liked that they prepare care plans around what each person needs "“ and that they are flexible enough to change the level of care as becomes necessary. The staff was very friendly and we could see that the residents are all happy there. The common areas were nicely decorated and home-like. There were many places for residents to enjoy a variety of activities, from games to reading and seeing films. Some of the residents participate in the community gardens and educational programs. One of the residents was a teacher "“ so she tutors children at the local community center. The grounds were well tended and we could see that there is plenty of room for residents to spread out and enjoy activities with friends and family, such as picnics, or enjoy the many seating areas however they wish. The dining areas were warm and friendly. We were able to try some of the snacks which were all delicious. The staff takes the time to offer foods that look appetizing. We enjoyed our visit at this facility and would recommend that people in the area who are looking for a good home for an elderly person check it out.

Let Us Search For You

Features of Virginia Place

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

About Virginia Place

Brookdale Merrillville provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Virginia Place