Brookdale Manlius

100 Flume Road, Manlius, NY, 13104

Reviews of Brookdale Manlius

Allen8 May 27, 2015

We moved into Wynwood of Manlius, and we are happy with the place. It is a much better place for us. The program directors are very talented, and they do a very good job, so that is why their social activities are really first rate. They do a very good job. I find the staff very good as well. The food is good, and the price is not unreasonable.

FamilyMembers November 11, 2014

We wrote this so others may enter into an agreement with Wynwoood of Manlius, NY with their eyes wide open. After our relative’s passing, a letter stating our complaints was sent to Brookdale Senior Living, owners of Wynwood, and no response was received.

Our female relative lived at Wynwood for nearly three years, 2011-2014. The intake process and tour were well done and inviting. First impressions were positive.

However, the reality of being a resident, and one with increasing needs (and therefore, significant add-on expense), was quite the opposite. Family members visited regularly (weekly/monthly), communicated with the staff, and tried to be objective, knowing there are two sides to a story.

We observed the following 16 issues:

1. The Admission Fee is a fee, not a deposit, and is non-refundable.

2. When our relative was hospitalized a few days before passing, the doctors informed the family she had severe bed sores. We were shocked to think this could happen with aides dressing her and being in the care of staff nurses.

3. Because the bus driver transports residents to doctor appointments, he is required to carry a Wynwood Transfer Form (confidential medical history, medications, insurance policy numbers of which Medicare’s number is the social security number) for the resident he transports. We were handed our relative's stapled packet of papers from the bus driver upon meeting her at the appointment. All of the above information was on the top sheet, visible to anyone, including the bus driver. We complained to the staff about this huge breach of confidentiality. The staff said they never thought of putting the papers in a sealed envelope and thought it was a great suggestion. Their irresponsible lack of respect for confidentiality astounded us.

4. For two out of her nearly three years there, water leaked through the ceiling and living room window, creating mold on the ceiling, window frame and sill. Six to eight attempts to repair it were unsuccessful. When it was deemed repaired, the construction crew did not cover any furniture prior to plastering, sanding and painting. Fine sanding dust was all over everything. Wynwood did not clean up the dust so our relative had to pay privately to have it done. The painting was never finished.

5. Aides, for which she paid dearly as a part of Wynwood Add-On Service Charges, often were late to respond or did not respond at all. She was afraid of upsetting them, regardless that the staff encouraged her to assert herself and tell the aides what she needed. Although there was a small handful of wonderful, friendly and helpful aides, there was also a handful of aides who were mean, yelled, belittled, intimidated and frightened her. Most aides simply came in, did what they did, and left the room as fast as possible, sometimes leaving our relative on the toilet for extended time periods. Additionally, aide retention was a major issue for Wynwood.

6. The necklace call button, while a necessary item, was not dependable or easy to press with weak, arthritic fingers. What is needed is a button with a light on it to confirm the call was received. This system exists but is not used at Wynwood. Several times we requested a different type of button, and received the same reply that they would look into the matter.

7. Her credit card, insurance card, social security card and cash were stolen from her purse. It was clear the purse had been searched through and all cards had to be replaced. The cash was never found.

8. Laundry was often missing or replaced with lower quality items.

9. Cleaning was consistently inadequately done - rarely dusted, vacuumed or mopped, and dirty cups and utensils were left in kitchen sink. Upon several visits, the toilet was soiled and filthy. We had to request it be cleaned. Ants were found on the carpet.

10. There was no telephone voice mail for staff. Front desk receptionist took all messages. This caused a gap in time, made communication difficult and breached confidentiality.

11. No staff members were available by email. When we inquired, the answer was, "We have it but we don't use it. I don't even know my address." We found this unacceptable and couldn't help but think they simply didn't want to be held accountable for anything they might put in writing.

12. The building design left much to be desired, with very long halls/wings. Our relative was at the farthest end of the longest wing. She felt isolated and it therefore took aides much longer to reach her.

13. Each meal required two hours (total of six hours for three meals), way too long and a huge waste of time and energy. Being escorted to the dining room (another Wynwood Add-On Service Charge), waiting to order, waiting to be served, eating (difficult to get wait staff attention if there was a problem with the meal delivered), and being escorted back to her room took six hours out of every day. Even though they were paid for, eventually she skipped meals and provided her own food.

14. Upon becoming a resident, she was assigned to a dining room table and kept the same table and table mates the entire time. Very little conversation transpired because some were deaf or had memory issues, and tables were large which made hearing more difficult. With each meal requiring two hours, mealtime became unbearable after awhile. It would have been better if residents could change tables every two to four weeks to get acquainted with new people or, better yet, not have assigned tables at all.

15. She regularly attended Resident Council meetings where comments and complaints about Wynwood were aired. As she said, pretty much the same complaints were aired each month and nothing changed. Food Chat meetings were more constructive and occasionally positive changes resulted.

16. After our relative died and we packed up her apartment over a two-day period, despite encountering several Wynwood staff members, only one family member received an expression of sympathy, and that was from an aide.

Sadly, Wynwood may be among the better alternatives in the Syracuse area. We truly wish our relative had the opportunity to live out her last years at home or, at the very least, in a facility better managed than Wynwood.

Nancy63508150 June 17, 2013

My friend chose Wynwood of Manlius because it was the only one that we found suitable, the other facilities were not nice. We went on a tour and the people were very nice, the residents were well-taken cared. It was a very nice and clean facility, and the food was great also. There were plenty of activities too. However, the price was quite expensive and he couldn't stay for long because he didn't enough money. If you had the money, I would recommend this place because it was like living in a hotel.

Tina8 March 28, 2013

Wynwood of Manlius was a very nice, beautiful, clean, and cheerful facility. It had little apartment-type rooms. If my mother was able to be alone in a room, I definitely would've placed her there. I just couldn't bear to see her alone in a room where the door had to be shut. Everything about the food was first class. The staff was very warm, engaging and reassuring. They definitely knew their residents very well.

MARW December 12, 2012

I WOULD RATE THEM OK, BUT NOT GREAT. ALOT OF OVERTURN OF HELP. CLEANING, FOOD, ACTIVITIES NEED IMPROVEMENT.

One year later I am proud to say our associate retention has improved. Our new licensing offers us a larger pool of qualified candidates to chose from, allowing a better long term fit to Wynwood. We are also utilizing new Brookdale cycle menus, which the residents appear to enjoy quite a bit. In addition, our Dining Services Manager holds monthly Food Chat Meetings with any interested residents. They make suggestions for the menus and offer recommendations to improve customer service. Our monthly Resident Council meeting is also a venue for sharing comments and ideas for improvements. Likewise, we hold monthly Resident Programming Meetings – several Resident driven programs have been added to our monthly calendar of events. Unfortunately September 15, 2012 through December 15, 2012 our Life Enrichment Coordinator was enjoying 12 weeks maternity leave. Although the activities were occurring, the enthusiasm she usually provided was missed by all. We also hired a new Resident Program Assistant, who compliments and expands our activities programming. Month after month at Resident Council there has been no concerns regarding housekeeping or cleanliness of our community. Our resident satisfaction with our two long term housekeepers remains high.

Marchia J. Manca, Executive Director, Wynwood Manlius

James13 October 24, 2012

I was quite impressed with Wynwood. One of my neighbors lived there and I was impressed with the way they care for their residents. In fact when I was there visiting my neighbor, staff were dropping in and asking if we need anything or do we need any help or asked for dinner plans. She had 2 apartments with an open space in between. She and her husband moved there and when her husband died, she kept the 2 apartments. It was really big. I like the little corner in the sitting area along the corridors. I think it was very pleasant in the outside grounds. She had a calendar of the activities going on yet she wasn't participating in many of them. When she got very sick and died there, they were still very attentive till the end. The facility is well matained and very attractive. There are numerous acctivities during the day to both stimulate and entertain their clients. I would highly recommend this facility mainly for the consideration that is given to each and every client.

Dawn2 June 19, 2012

kmiller1 May 10, 2012

This is an excellent facility staffed with compassionate and caring employees. The facility is well matained and very attractive. There are numerous acctivities during the day to both stimulate and entertain their clients. I would highly recommend this facility mainly for the consideration that is given to each and every client.

From Brookdale Manlius

Brookdale Manlius provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Features of Brookdale Manlius