Oakdale of La Mesa

5740 Lake Murray Blvd, La Mesa, CA, 91942

Reviews of Oakdale of La Mesa

Sheila20 February 26, 2015

My mother needs assisted living, and she is able to walk with a walker right now. We are trying to get into one of the oversized studio apartments in Oakdale Heights. We are waiting for one to become available, and we're next on the list. So far, we have been pleased with the staff who is helping to get us in there. It's an older property, but it is well maintained.

Brenda26 November 22, 2013

My mother-in-law moved in Oakdale Heights La Mesa two months ago. This was our choice because it was close by a lot of her grandkids and it seemed very well run and managed. The facility itself is older but it is pretty ideal. They keep everything pretty clean there. It is also pretty well laid out. My mom-in-law has a memory problem and some of the places we went to were too confusing for her. With this one, it just makes sense where the dining room was, where the activities were, etc. I think the fact that it was originally a hotel, that's why they have a lot of different meeting areas there. Just down about three doors from her mother-in-law's room, there is a huge living room with all kinds of recliners and a big screen TV. They have all the movies and puzzles there. It is just a good place to meet and for families to visit. It also seems to be pretty large with a nice patio.

The staff is very caring, helpful and very hands-on. They know everybody by name. They also seem to be very well organized. My mom keeps saying how nice they are and how they check on her and tell her when to go to meals and stuff. Also whatever that is going on with my mom-in-law, they'll let us know. They also have a really good food there. In their dining room, they have tablecloths and napkins, which are really nice. They have a meal of the day but they also offer alternatives. They also have other choices that they can have all the time, so it is pretty ideal. They also have nice activities there. Their activities director and the exercise people are really nice. They make such an effort to know each person's name. However, on Sundays and Mondays they take their residents to go someplace but they don't really specify where they would go on their calendar. I wish they would specify that and that's my only complaint.

Connie19 May 12, 2013

Oakdale Heights is very competitive and offers similar services but is a little bit expensive than where my mom is in right now. It's a huge complex and I thought my mom could get lost in there.

RainyDay April 05, 2012

4 years ago a relative moved here after many visits and 'samples' of the food and activities. Shortly after that new owners took over and there was a massive change of staff. Yes there have been some very needed fixes on the site. It is beautiful and they do have activities, but they have been cut back drastically and after 5pm - unless you want to watch tv as a group or play cards there is nothing to do. Very sad. They used to take bus rides to fun places, but from reports now it is mostly just driving around San Diego and sometimes getting off the bus at a park, and doing nothing. Food quality is terrible, it is cold, served on small plates and poor presentation. Fruit platter is the same year round and it is obviously frozen. Portions are small, yet desserts are medium size! Used to have lots of people in scooters, very few since new team involved, have heard that if you are insulin dependent (shots) you are not welcome there. RN no longer on site 24 hours. Housekeeping has been cut back, I imagine trash outside the rooms is to avoid accusations of theft. For the amount you pay I would expect better quality of food and cleaning of the rooms for the age of the residents. Parking for visitors sucks and so does the challenge of moving furniture in or out - hire movers or have strong, young men! On the good side, it is very pretty and the staff at the desk, medicine room, cleaning people, handyman, activity director and her staff and helpers to those that need more attention are all great. It is also small pet friendly (additional cost) and I think that is wonderful. Things to look out for if you are shopping for a place to live: Are the grounds inviting? Lots of places to sit here, but lots of tree roots and slippery leaves after a wind storm...judge the risks for your loved one. Is there a variety of activities offered throughout the day AND on BOTH days of the weekends? Do they do special things for the holidays? Do they transport to religious activities? Do they offer references to private drivers that can assist or are you only able to use their bus plan? Will they walk your loved one into the Dr facility or is it curbside drop off/pick up? Do they send someone to check on the resident if they are not seen? What do they do if the person gets the flu - will they bring meals to the room? Is this an additional charge? Shop around. Oakdale is close to medical facilities and pretty, there are others in La Mesa that have similar amenities that might still be in the price range you have. Good luck!

nan-nan July 30, 2011

family member has been living here for quite some time now, and seems to be satisfied with both the facility and the staff. i find most of the staff to be professional and caring. i have visited mainly on weekends in the afternoons, so the staff seem to take care of running the facility quite well without all the "big bosses" around. the common areas of the facility seems clean to a visitor although i have never really paid strict attention to the "private" areas such as bathrooms. i hear complaints about food from other residents on occasion, but i think it has more to do with variety than quality--you can't please everyone and i suppose after years and years of living in the same place, they probably have eaten the same menu over and over. the facility generally seems quiet, which to me is a good thing. residents have obviously varying degrees of wants or needs, and they seem to do a good job accomodating them. there appear to be a good variety of activities and services available.

WilliamCher June 23, 2011

Each visit to my grandmother's home at this assisted living facility has been a pleasure. The area is clean, well-maintained, and landscaped beautifully. The staff are very polite and friendly. My grandmother's room is managed very nicely, meals are prepared on time and to her liking, and she is regularly greeted by volunteers and staff members. It is obvious that the residents of Oakdale Heights are well taken care of here. I would recommend this facility to anyone who is looking for only the highest quality of assisted living for their loved ones.

From Oakdale of La Mesa

Here at Oakdale of La Mesa, we’re dedicated to offering a true sense of belonging to seniors and their families. It’s a feeling you’ll notice the moment you’re invited to “make yourself at home” and continues through every thoughtful, personal detail.

As part of the WESTliving family, we understand the importance of world-class service. In fact, we even have a name for it: WESTclass service. We hire carefully and train extensively. The result? Team Members who are empowered to make a meaningful difference in the lives of those we serve. And inspired to anticipate your next need – before you even know you have a next need.

From independent, assisted, memory, Dementia or short term stay care, our approach reinforces a sense of belonging by promoting privacy, dignity and a sense of empowerment. A variety of activities including gardening, art classes, local tours and tai chi await here at Oakdale of La Mesa, just a short drive from Los Angeles, Orange County and the Inland Empire.

Features of Oakdale of La Mesa

• Spanish

• Pharmacy
  • 24 hour nurses: During business hours

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• We charge an entry fee
  • Minimum memory care rate: $3,600/month