Grossmont Gardens

5480 Marengo Avenue, La Mesa, CA, 91942

Reviews of Grossmont Gardens

Kristyn702467 November 23, 2016

The staff at Grossmont Gardens was really friendly, and the units were on my in laws price range. It’s beautiful, peaceful, and calm. The lunch that they served us was really good, and that’s one of the main things they are looking forward to.

Relative646428 October 05, 2016

My husband is doing hospice at Grossmont Gardens, and it’s fine. It's a little expensive for me, but I had no choice. The staff is very nice. My husband is sharing a room, and the common areas are clean. The food is OK; it’s not like home food, but it’s OK. My husband is getting 24/7 care, but sometimes they are short of staff.

Thomas573114 August 17, 2016

Overall, we were impressed with Grossmont Gardens, and I think we would have gone with it if my mother wanted to stay there. The one negative was that depending on what unit you get, you could be a long way from the dining room. It didn’t seem built specifically for the elderly, and it seemed more like a hotel that had been converted.

Kim420645 August 15, 2016

I like the greenery around the gardens at Grossmont Gardens. That's something that my mother likes. She's on the bottom floor, which is very helpful rather than having to use an elevator. She likes going to their dining room, and there are plenty of activities for her to do. She seems very pleased. They have a happy hour where they get together and meet other residents. She can go to any table that she wants in the dining room. They have pool activities, outings that they can go on the bus, and movies. I would say that housekeeping has done a wonderful job, and the nurses that come to visit her to give her her meds and take her daily weight are all very friendly. Everybody is always greeting everyone. They serve three meals a day.

Cole2 May 11, 2016

Grossmont was pretty excellent. Cleanliness and location were excellent. The staff was extremely friendly.

A Fellow ReviewerTDLNS May 11, 2016

My husband is at Grossmont Gardens. They take good care of him, and he is not easy to get along with, so they have their hands full. He seems to be OK eating their food. The rooms are fine. Right now, he is by himself. This is his fourth facility he has been in, and this is one of the nicer ones. Everybody smiles and says hello. The staff is fine and doing a good job.

Fr. Simeon January 27, 2016

I’m NOT as impressed with Grossmont Gardens. The only reason I moved my mom in there is because at that time we thought she was well enough to stay in assisted living with her cat. She was able to keep her cat there, but I didn’t want to keep her there after it was obvious that she couldn’t stay there. She was only there for a day, and a half until she was moved to the hospital. It definitely needs remodeling, and the staff was not as personable, and caring. It was more of a business, and almost felt like a dorm room sort of a situation. It’s not as nice; not as pleasant. The dining area looked okay. It was not as clean, not as personable, and it didn’t feel like home.

Harry26 December 29, 2015

Grossmont Gardens was very large. It was probably the largest place we visited. One big downside to them is they move assisted living people from one building to another if their level of care changes, and I could not have them moving my mother potentially through four different buildings. Also, it was a little bit hospital-like. The staff was a little standoffish, too. They didn't seem to try to get to know the people. I would describe them as professional, though, just not warm, friendly, or outgoing. They’re just there to do their jobs. It is like going into any office. The facility was clean and well decorated for the holiday. They had every activity you could imagine. It’s so big, so there were tons of activities.

visitor915 December 17, 2015

Grossmont Gardens was very nice. The rooms were not private rooms, and we did not like that. The staff did not seem that attentive when we visited the living area, as far as checking on the people and making rounds. The facility was pretty; we just did not like the lack of personal security.

Judy H.1 November 22, 2015

I visited Grossmont Gardens for my mother. Before we started, everybody was supposed to be notified that I was coming, but they didn’t have me on the books to come. The staff was still very polite, though, and helped me. I was welcomed graciously by the person who showed me around. I found the exterior to be pleasant. The rooms were of a good size. I felt comfortable having nursing care available on-site, which was assuring. They seemed to have good safety features, and the place was clean. It seemed to be a good fit for my mom. A positive thing about this facility was that different, good care options were available. They have a swimming pool and nice dining room areas.

Cathy110366650 July 29, 2015

My friends are living at Grossmont Gardens. It is very pleasant and comfortable. The people are nice and helpful. If you live in the one-bedroom alone, it will be very spacious, but we have two people and a dog in a one bedroom because there are not any two-bedroom available right now. It is a little bit tighter, but it works. The apartments are very attractive. Even upstairs, we have a balcony and a bathtub. People can just sit outside because there are gardens all over the building with lots of fresh greeneries, flowers, trees, and shades. It is a very pleasant location. You can take a walk. It is nine acres, so there are plenty of places to walk. They have a bus trip once a week. They go out for shopping and doctors a couple of times a week. They have a variety of things. You have to check the schedule and see what is happening. There is a dance class, an ice cream social, guest musicians, and a lot of different things like that going on. There are not a lot of personal things. It is an older place, and there are a few things that I think are missing that will help people be accustomed to be there to make friend, but the facility is kept up, and when you call someone to repair something, they come promptly and have it fixed. Everything is clean and fresh when you move in. Grossmont is better for people who have special needs or quite elderly, and they need people to come help them.

Caring109589950 July 21, 2015

He was at Grossmont Gardens. His room was a studio apartment, and it was nice. He had a small refrigerator. We were able to bring his things into the room. I felt the staff was not adequate. Sometimes they have one caregiver for 25 people. The food is very good. He is able to go to a nice dining room and order off a menu, and that was very nice. They have a salad bar; I ate there several times myself, and it was good. I would recommend this place. They have a shuttle van that takes the residents to outings a couple of times a week. They also have bingo and all sorts of things to do.

Ruth105687850 May 24, 2015

Grossmont Gardens is a very nice facility, but it was a little too independent for her. The residents seemed very happy. The food was good.

Caring106818150 May 14, 2015

We went to visit The Grossmont Gardens, and we found out that the staff was nice and accommodating. Everything was very lovely except that we are not ready to move yet. They were very pleasant, and it was everything that you would want, but we also could not afford it. Their rooms are very nice, and it has a large closet. They had a library discussion going on when we were there, and their dining room is beautiful.

Caring97861750 December 03, 2014

I visited Grossmont Gardens, and it was very clean. Everybody we met seemed to be very professional. It’s a lovely facility as far as the physical aspect of it. We got to meet two or three staff members, and they were very friendly. It was very clean and very well-kept. We are not going to pursue that because my dad felt it was out of his budget. They showed us a calendar; they had several things scheduled. They had a library, a pool table, and a swimming pool. They didn’t have any rooms available for us to be able to look at. I saw a couple of rooms as we were walking by looking at the different parts.

Caring97382750 November 29, 2014

Our doctor had Grossmont Gardens on his list, and it’s fairly close to where we live -- about 7 miles away. I think it was the most convenient. It is like a hotel; it’s quite large but it’s an older building. I think they have been in business about 50 years. It just seemed about the best we have visited; we have visited about four or five others, and it seemed the best the first time. This is a very difficult time for us, and hopefully we made the right decision. He has a lot of limitations so he needs a lot of help, and I have been a little bit disappointed with some other things but we are still trying to work things out. He is not happy there as he didn’t want to go in the first place. I have been trying for a week to schedule a haircut, and it’s just seemed like I am still not quite sure how you schedule a haircut also there was a little maintenance that needs to be done in the room and it has been three weeks since I told them about that and that still wasn’t done.

caring96054650 October 26, 2014

I liked Grossmont Gardens, it was nice. The rooms were spacious. As far as I could tell, the staff was very good. They gave me a tour, and they were knowledgeable. It was well-kept and clean. The dining area was very good and spacious.

Caring91285750 August 26, 2014

I liked Grossmont Gardens the best. The location was good for me because it was close to my home; it was right off the freeway; and it was right next to where I go to the doctor. The food was way better than some of the places I went to and their prices were extremely reasonable. They were more affordable and better quality, and everyone was smiling and happy, and engaged with the way they were showing me the place. They seemed sincerely happy there. Though my brother hasn't seen the place, they mailed him a brochure and he agreed with me that it was the best pick for him. The other thing was that they had a lot of outdoor space. They had these little gardens and they were aesthetically pleasing. Everyone was really warm and friendly. It is an older facility and is built on a hill, so I would rate it a 4 based on the accessibility and the fact that things are little run-down here and there.

Jan33 June 10, 2014

Grossmont Gardens is nice. it has a swimming pool, and my cousin liked that. They didn’t have any rooms for us to look at. I think it was too big for her and overwhelming. I don’t think she felt like they wanted her there. The dining facilities were very good, as well as the food. They talked about the activities. The facility is excellent, but it wasn’t for my cousin.

John76120150 May 30, 2014

We liked Grossmont Gardens, but the price was a little steep. At the time we moved my mother into another facility, they were offering a discount so she could save a certain amount of money each month on her fees. The rooms were fine. I can't say that they're really roomy, but then that's how it is. Everything looked clean. It looked like pleasant surroundings. We might have selected that as the place for my mother to live, except for the price. That was the main consideration. My sister and mother found the food to be OK.

Judy82039550 December 30, 2013

Mom is in the independent area of Grossmont Gardens while my dad is in their memory care unit. We chose it for its location, cost, and services. The food there is amazing. They have a full salad bar every meal and a menu that you can choose from. They really do a good job. My mom was not really pleased with my dad's care in the memory care unit, but the facility and the activities were all wonderful.

From Grossmont Gardens

Residents of Grossmont Gardens are proud of the independence they maintain and enjoy the security of 24-hour personalized assistance. While we offer a helping hand with day-to-day tasks such as dressing, bathing and medication monitoring, they are treated as the accomplished individuals they are. They enjoy the freedom of choosing their own agenda and activities, while feeling secure in knowing that we are always there to provide support should they need it.

Features of Grossmont Gardens