Armour Oaks Senior Living

8100 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO, 64114

Reviews of Armour Oaks Senior Living

rhonda1992 July 08, 2014

Armour Oaks has a good neighbourhood, and it’s relatively convenient to where I live. It’s an older but quiet neighborhood, and the physical property itself has a lot of vintage charm. The rooms are smaller than I would have liked. They have private bathrooms, and the particular room that my aunt ended up moving into had a slightly larger doorframe, which was helpful because she uses a walker. The dining area is good, average, and my aunt is not thrilled with the food. This facility was the most affordable that I have looked at. They do some outings in little mini buses, they play Bingo and have Bible study classes. They also have special events like for Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. I also think their staffing is stretched, but I think they offer a good value.

Martha18 September 26, 2013

When I went at Armour Oaks they showed me this room that literally was like 150 square feet and it was very small and there is no kitchen in the room. Basically her social security would be turned over to them and they would cover all of her prescriptions and would give her $35 a month spending money. That seemed ridiculous and I think my mom would never go for that. It seems a little odd to me that you have to be in the assisted living for Medicare to contribute as supposed to independent living. That is very confusing to me.

Roberts1980 June 28, 2011

This facility has a very urban-feeling location, off of a busy, narrow street currently undergoing quite a bit of construction. There are several facilities operated by Armour on this cul-de-sac and the neighbourhood is beautiful once you turn off the main street. There are several stately brick buildings with white trim, lush lawns and big leafy trees all around. However, the interior of the Assisted Living facility was something entirely different. My guide told me the building was built in 1928, and it's very obvious. The hallways are dark, both in terms of the wood and carpet, but also as a result of poor lighting. The lighting made it a little difficult for me to gauge cleanliness, but the facility is at least tidy and appears to be pretty well maintained, given its age. I was concerned at one point that my tour included a stairwell which was extremely cluttered around the main travel path, and the fact that the building has no elevators. My guide informed me that all residents must be capable of escaping the building on their own in case of emergency and for the second-floor residents that means navigating 1928-era stairwells. The activity room and several common rooms are in the basement. The activity room looks very much like an old-style cafeteria, with exposed pipework in the ceiling and linoleum floors. I thought this room reeked of cigarette smoke so I wondered what the smoking policy was for the facility. In addition, the rooms seemed very small to me, but do have ensuite baths. They are painted a rather institutional mint blue, but the one a resident showed me felt very homey with her furniture. She was very upbeat and friendly, and said her doctor had recommended the facility, and that she loves it there and so does everyone she knows. Several other residents were very friendly as well, and the personal atmosphere was very nice. It's my impression that this facility is adequate, but makes no attempt to compete with the luxury-style facilities run by Brookdale and Sunrise in the KC area.

From Armour Oaks Senior Living

Armour Oaks Senior Living Community in Kansas City, Missouri – Kansas City's oldest continuous operating Not-For-Profit entity - is located in the eclectic Waldo neighborhood at the corner of 81st and Wornall Road with easy access to I-435. This historic senior living community, just 15 minutes from the famous Country Club Plaza, offers an unique urban oasis with all levels of care, acres of beautifully landscaped grounds and a service minded staff to meet the unique needs of each one of our residents.

Armour Oaks offers the whole continuum of care in Kansas City without the worry of a large buy-in fee. As your life changes, we offer affordable options to meet your current living needs. The personal care level is based on your desires and individual assessments by licensed care staff. Many options are also available on a day-to-day basis to help you remain independent and only pay for the services that you uniquely need.

Armour Oaks offers a wide variety of services that are tailored to meet your individual needs. Our licensed care staff will assist you in selecting the most appropriate setting that will meet you unique needs, while providing safety and security. Many options are available to help you maintain your independence in your lifestyle of choice. Residents at Armour Oaks enjoy these campus wide amenities.

Community Amenities

• 25 treed acre campus with beautifully landscaped grounds
  • Walking trails
  • Life enrichment programs
  • Care designed to meet personalized needs
  • 24 hour emergency response
  • 24 hour security personnel
  • Affordable month-to-month rental options
  • Priority admission into alternate levels of care

Armour Oaks offers multiple living options to meet your individual needs. From studios, one bedroom, two bedrooms, villas and single family homes, experience the boundless living opportunities on campus by decorating your new home with your individual style, making it truly yours.

Features of Armour Oaks Senior Living

• Hospice care

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Hiking trails
  • Pool
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs

• Private services

• Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Staff patient ratio: 8 to 1
  • Minimum age: 55

• Monthly rent is all inclusive
  • Fee structure extra: no entry fee for assisted living

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): AL 043079