Brookdale Mandarin

10790 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32086

Reviews of Brookdale Mandarin

Caring99516950 January 06, 2015

The care staff of Emeritus at Mandarin is fine, but I am very dissatisfied with the office staff. The room -- although it is small -- is enough for what my father needs, and it is fine. I guess they give him his meds on time, so they give proper respect in that respect, but I am not a hundred percent satisfied at all. What they can improve on is their office procedure and their billing -- anything administrative or office related. Right now, it is a total mess with the transition, and it is very frustrating.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we need to focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

Caring84233750 May 20, 2014

My mother is in Emeritus at Mandarin. I chose it because it has a lot of activities. It is geared toward my mother's lifestyle, and I feel that it is a good fit for my mother. She has a little apartment with one bedroom, a living room, and a small kitchen. It also has a little patio. It has a beautiful dining room, but she's not very happy with the food. However, I understand that it's going to change on the first of June. They have activities like puzzles, bingo, dance, and they have a lot of outside community people who do all kinds of musical performances. They have a number of people who come from the symphony, plays, and different bands. She really likes all of the entertainment. They do exercises. They have a pool, and they will do aqua-cises pretty soon. Their mission statement is: "Treating their residents as family," and for the most part, I think they do. They are always very cooperative. When my mother is kind of confused and I call them, they will take care of it. There is an adjustment period, but for most part, I think she is happy. I think we are getting a good service for what we are paying for. Right now, we are very happy.

Caring81759150 April 22, 2014

My mom stayed at Emeritus for 18 months. She's in a one-bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, and it was very small. However, the care didn't seem to be that great. It wasn't very consistent. They were supposed to assist her in bathing and dressing, but she never could get that assistant. They actually came in, vacuumed the rugs, and they might have brought her meds, but that was about the extent of help that she got. They weren't very helpful. They need to improve their ratio of staff to patient or residents. I thought they had 24 to 1 or 20 to 1.

I was thinking the facility wasn't that bad. The common areas that were decorated OK. They had a library. They had activities, and people came in to perform. The food was not that great.

Teresa27 December 27, 2013

My mother is in Emeritus. The staff is fabulous. They are very caring and really on top of their game. The rooms are absolutely perfect.

HappyFamilyMember13 October 21, 2013

My family member moved in September 2013. They staff at this community is very caring and always ready to lend a helping hand. Dave and Gayla in the Sales department made us feel very comfortable in placing our loved one. This was a very hard decision for us to make, but the staff there have welcomed us with open arms. We visit frequently and they have always kept the building clean and a lot of the staff welcome us by name. The activities are very often and my loved one loves to be a pert of them. The residents are happy at Emeritus and that is something we only found here. The other places that we saw in the area were very dirty and the residents did not look happy. We are actually looking to place another family member soon and will definitely choose Emeritus!!!

Carmen8 August 26, 2013

My husband and I were in Emeritus for three months. We had a two-bedroom-two-bathroom apartment and it was very nice. Their caregivers were excellent. They had quite a few activities there. They had bingo, card games, painting, entertainment, and outings. They also had people come in two to three times a week in the morning and teach yoga. They had everything in Emeritus. They even had a garden. The only thing that was not nice was the food. It was terrible.

Caring Daughter 353 July 24, 2013

We visited Emeritus because we looked for a place for my parents at the time. The staff were very helpful and informative. However, the rooms were way too small for my parents' needs. The facility and units were very old and they needed to be updated.

Earle July 12, 2013

What I like best about Emeritus at Mandarin is the size of their rooms. They were much larger and the cost per month was much lower than the other facilities I visited. The place was very well kept. My visit was limited to the sales person but I did meet a couple of other people working there and they all seemed very nice. It is a four-storey building but it has limited number of elevators. I thought that they probably need at least one more elevator.

Everette June 13, 2013

My mom actually stayed in Emeritus at Mandarin only for a day. It just so happened that they had a bed available, so it was convenient at that time. The facility was nice, it was like a hotel actually. The residents all seemed to appreciate what they have and where they live.

Lucy7 May 29, 2013

The staff at Emeritus at Mandarin were very good. I would recommend them to someone else because they were very nice and the facility was clean. Their rooms were very small and furniture were old but you could bring in furniture. They had a party going when we visited and they were all together: the regular people and the ones with extreme cases.

Opeth September 27, 2012

During my great grandmothers stay at this facilty she had many ups and downs. The staff was always friendly when family visited. Unfortunately a few of the staff were not so friendly once she was left alone there. On many occasions she complained of being cold and no one coming upon her requests. She felt as though she would catch nmuemonia. The price of this facility is fairly high. Sad that a few people make it not worth the price. My great grandmother did say she enjoyed the social aspect that was encouraged. The food was pretty bland she complained during these meetings and events, and I can agree as I tried some. Due to the negative aspects of the facility I only give it three stars. In jacksonville it is difficult to find good assisted living facilities that do not come at a premium. She eventually was tranfered to another facility, where she past at. The other facility was about the same as Emeritus.

NanaBean November 18, 2011

I was very impressed by the staff's on-board engagement with my needs for my mom. They are more than willing to work with me to make sure my Mom is happy and healthy and well-cared for in their beautiful, active and very vital living environment.

parasailing21 November 17, 2011

They took excellent care of my mother before she passed away.

A Very Happy Daughter November 03, 2011

Dave Roberts gave us our first tour. Than several days later we returned with my mother for a second tour & lunch. We had intended to visit several places but, after we meet Dave & the staff it was love at first sight!! Kathy @ the desk, Bill the bus driver & Linda in the office are all top notch! The ladies and young man in the dining room couldn't have been better! Every staff member we pass greets us with a big "hello and can I help you!" I think this is going to be a very positive experience and only wished we had done it sooner.

From Brookdale Mandarin

Our Family is Committed to Yours.®

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #8789

Features of Brookdale Mandarin

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• General store
  • Pool
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs

• Private services

• Minimum age: 45

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): 8789