The Arbors Islandia West

1515 Veteran’s Memorial Highway, Islandia, NY, 11749

Reviews of The Arbors Islandia West

L. Bohm June 14, 2015

The Arbors was very big. It was not brand new, but it seemed very well taken care of. We checked out everything. We saw them eating, so the food looked good, and the rooms were nice. We were taken to different rooms -- small and large -- and also to their dementia unit. They showed us that there were all these options. In other words, you could go in being perfect needing assisted living, get illnesses, and then be put into different programs and areas. So you're not just thrown out for needing assistance. They were very informative. They really wanted us to come there, so they knew we were considering a couple of places. Entertainment seemed great. We happened to go one time, and I think they were doing either Bingo or some kind of an auction, and they had a hair salon. They do everything. They take care of these people really well, it was clean, and the staff was helpful and good.

Sally32 May 05, 2015

The Arbors at Islandia West was close to our home, and we liked it. Our relative liked the surroundings, and he is doing very well there. He can go out on trips and to restaurants. They take care of his clothing and medical management. They make sure he showers, and he is dressed everyday. He eats very well, and he is very happy with the food. The people are very nice. Everyone that works there is very involved with the residents, and they are very attentive.

Caring101223150 February 28, 2015

I had a short visit at The Arbors. I came in originally to the assisted living part where people were free to do whatever they wanted, but people were sleeping all over the place, like they were falling asleep in their chairs. It just didn't seemed active. My overall sense was that it felt like the ceilings were low, and it felt like a hospital the way that it was set up at the nurses station. However, they told me at that time that they were going through a huge renovation and everything would be changing which was fine. I was sure it would be wonderful, but not at that moment. Although I understood that they were going through renovations, at the time I visited, it just felt dated, dreary, and dark, but I was sure that would be addressed during their current renovation.

Caring100257950 January 16, 2015

I was impressed with everything and the pricing structure at The Arbors at Islandia West. The staff were helpful. The rooms were on the small side, and the dining room was fine.

Ellen24 May 20, 2014

The Arbors Islandia is not a very well-run place. The food is not nutritional, it's terrible and very institutional. Mom's been there several months, and we're looking to switch her to maybe home care. The staff is not good. I think it's a poorly run place. They don't communicate very well with the residents and the family. You don't get much communication whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend it.

It's an all-inclusive facility, meaning that there aren't tiers of expenses, so everything is included: meds, daily living care, housekeeping, and laundry. There's no extra hidden costs. The rooms are tight. Mom has a roommate. They don't really provide a lot of extras. They might make you think they do. They might have some kind of an exercise program in the morning. I know they have a van that takes you out to scheduled outings. They might have a speaker, play cards, bingo, or have a singer in for holidays; that's about it. I can't say it really engages everyone. Maybe the more active people who want to get out of their rooms sit down in the living room.

They could improve on the efficiency which they deliver the medications to the residents at meals. You got to sit and wait. It's very drag out thing and that's probably my mother's biggest complaint; that and the quality of the food.

rb5476 August 21, 2012

The Arbors seemed like a pretty good place. All the employees were very friendly whenever we had to interact with them. They had lots of different services available. A daily happy hour, field trips to different parks and restaurants. Also, there was daily card games, a movie room, and mass on Sundays. During meals, they would always offer us one if we were there at the time. Of course, there were some negatives. Towards the end, it seemed that they were only after our money, with less concern for our grandmother. They kept pushing for her to get more help, which would mean paying more money. It is not to say she did not need more assistance, but the way it came off made it appear it was only about getting more money. My grandmother did make some friends there, but she was never very happy there and the rest of the elderly all seemed to just sit there and did not look to happy, but it can't be easy to have no real options but an assisted living place. I haven't had experience with any other types of assisted living facilities but this one didn't seem to be overly great or bad. I would say this was an average place.

Tschultz4 June 29, 2012

My experience with the Arbors Assisted Living Home was simply outstanding. First, I knew the manager through family ties so my grandfather was ensured a great experience. The living home was a commendable place full of caring, nurturing environment. The staff did all they could to ensure that my grandfather had everything that he needed to continue living at a functional level. The programs that the staff ran were something I have never seen in any other assisted living community. For example, there was a Wii Bowling night where the residents came out to enjoy some company and video games. The facilities were also top-notch. The rooms were always clean, the common room areas were spotless, and the different areas of the home were kept in check at all times. The only negatives I had with the Arbors Assisted Living Home were that at times it was very expensive. However, the service was extremely worth the price. I would highly recommend the home for others looking for an excellent and caring environment.

CFH November 17, 2011

My Grandpa lived there until his passing. The staff really liked him and posted his picture in their break room as one of their "Angels". The facility appeared to have nothing to hide, as they encouraged my mother to visit often. She went nearly everyday and saw the individualized care he recieved. I liked that the residents were really treated as adults and as individuals. They even have a happy hour and my Grandpa was given his favorites. The staff also helped him organize card games. I felt he was safe and comfortable.

babson August 22, 2011

When looking for an assisted living facility for a loved one ask yourself one question" would I want to live here?"

After visiting The Arbors West our decision would be NOT to place our loved one in their care.

Why? Most importantly because the people who live their do not seem to be "engaged" in meaningful activities. The residents were just sitting around watching TV.

Other AL Facilities we've seen have their residents involved in activities that keep our loved ones moving; both physically and mentally.

So, just do your homework when choosing any assisted living for those you love.

About The Arbors Islandia West

The Arbors Islandia West is an assisted living facility in Islandia, NY that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact The Arbors Islandia West for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Location of The Arbors Islandia West