Irvine Cottages 1

1 Longstreet, Irvine, CA, 92620

Contact Now

Reviews of Irvine Cottages 1

Caring102434850 February 22, 2015

Irvine Cottages had a series of individual houses. The rooms were OK, but the bedrooms weren't big. When we visited, they weren't doing any activities. The staff was friendly. The people were mostly relaxing, as it was more casual. That's the one that I would probably go to based on the price and the proximity to my needs.

Caring100946050 January 24, 2015

Mom was at Irvine Cottages, and they are great. Their security is perfect, and they have cameras. They also do have an alarm system as well inside the home, and they only take in maybe five residents per home, and they have 24 hour, 7 days a week surveillance. What I love about them is that they have activities. They have karaoke, and they actually invested in every single home. They have a professional singer that comes on Mondays and Wednesday to sing to the residents there. On other days, they have activities. On the holidays, they were making wreath and center pieces for the table. Whenever someone celebrates their birthday, they would have a birthday party. They were also great in trying to contact me. They were overly sensitive to the tenants that were there.

Thank You so much for your review! I am so thrilled to know that our families appreciate the activties and camera monitoring system! Thank You again and Best regards to you and your family! Jacqueline DuPont

Caring72643250 April 27, 2014

Mom is very happy there at Irvine Cottages. I’m happy with it too. She's happy; I’m happy. They have like 10 or 11 different houses. They really take good care of her, and she gets a lot more one-on-one. They take her walking every day and do her exercises with her. She won’t do exercises on her own, so they do it with her. The staff are wonderful, they really are. They are just very caring people. The place is very clean and very cheery. They have activities, and they have people come in to do the activities.

C.M. February 07, 2014

I can highly recommend the Irvine Cottages for quality loving care for anyone needing it. My mother has lived in one of the cottages for a year and a half now and I've been very impressed with the care and concern the caregivers have for my mom and all the others there. It's hard to see a loved one decline in health because of age and health, but I feel very blessed that I was able to place my Mom in a home-like setting to get the love and care she needs to thrive for as long as she has. I visit 3 or more times week and she has always been well cared for and is comfortable and happy. The staff and caregivers are very compassionate and care very much for your loved one. Thank you Irvine Cottages for being there when we needed you and we appreciate all you do for our loved ones and for our peace of mind.

danzpam August 22, 2013

I AM A RELATIVE/CONSERVATOR OF THE RESIDENT. RESIDENT IS JO ANN AT COTTAGE 1. I WAS INTRODUCED TO IRVINE COTTAGES IN 1999 BY MY HUSBAND'S AUNT MILLIE, THE RESIDENT'S MOTHER, WHO ALSO WAS A RESIDENT IN COTTAGE 6 2011-2012. MILLIE'S DAUGHTER, JO ANN WAS BORN WITH CEREBRAL PALSY. SHE IS NOW 67 YEARS OLD. JO ANN HAS HAD THE LOVE ATTENTION SINCE BIRTH BY HER LOVING PARENTS, WHO HAVE SINCE PASSED ON. JO ANN CONTINUES TO RECEIVE THE LOVE, CARE AND ATTENTION BY THE COTTAGE STAFF. IRVINE COTTAGE HAS BEEN JO ANN'S EXTENDED FAMILY FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS. I CAN NOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE EXCELLENT CARE JO ANN RECEIVES WHICH ALSO INCLUDES; PHYSICAL ASSISTANCE, AS WELL HER SELF-HELP SKILLS, INCREASING INDEPENDENCE WITH DAILY LIVING TASKS, WEEKLY OUTINGS. JUST RECENTLY, JO ANN HAS LEARNED TO USE AN I PAD, SO SHE CAN RECEIVE EMAILS AND PICTURES FROM RELATIVES WHO LIVE TO FAR TO VISIT REGULARLY. SHE ALSO HAS LEARNED TO HOLD HER OWN DRINKING CUP. JO ANN HAS STARTED TO PAINT. I AM EXCITED ABOUT THESE LATEST CHANGES BECAUSE JO ANN HAD LOST THE USE OF HER HAND AND ARM. THESE ACTIVITIES HAVE HELP TO STRENGTHENED HER ABILITY TO USE BOTH AGAIN. JO ANN'S FAVORITE ACTIVITIES ARE WATCHING THE COOKING SHOWS AND THEN WATCHING THE CAREGIVERS COOK FOR THE OTHER RESIDENTS. SHE PARTICIPATES IN DAILY EXERCISE, MUSIC THERAPY, AND GOING OUT WEEKLY IN THE COTTAGE VAN. ALL ACTIVITIES ARE TAILORED TO THE RESIDENTS ABILITY. AS A FAMILY MEMBER, I APPRECIATE ALL THAT IRVINE COTTAGES DO. JO ANN IS ALWAYS HAPPY. I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED WITH MANY FAMILY AND FRIENDS CARE AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THE LEVEL OF CARE IRVINE COTTAGES PROVIDES. IN BEHALF OF THE FAMILY, WE WANT TO THANK ALL THE IRVINE COTTAGE STAFF, ESPECIALLY; JACQUELINE AND MARC, GINA, ALEX, MICHELLE, AILEEN, COTTAGE CAREGIVERS, THERAPISTS, AND DR CHANG FOR PROVIDING JO ANN COMPASSIONATE AND LOVING CARE. THANK YOU!

wrp August 01, 2013

My mother and my aunt have been Irvine Cottage residents since March of 2009. Both of them had been at other retirement communities in Arizona and California. My mother was in a Tucson, Arizona independent living retirement home where both she and I were very happy with her living conditions. After a fall and the ageing process taking it's toll, we moved her to California to be near us. While she continued to live in a independent home in Anaheim she fell and broke her hip requiring surgery and a month at a rehabilitation center. Her recovery was not great as she lost a lot of her mobility and ability to function without assistance . Therefore it was necessary to move her to South Orange County into as assisted living facility nearer our home. In a short period of time at this facility she was moved to the dementia area. Her dementia worsened and her physical ability deteriorated to the point where she needed assistance in most activities. At the same time this large, private assisted living home was sold to major nation wide corporation. We were comfortable with her care at this home when it was privately owned but, we were not once it was sold. The staff and mode of operation changed resulting in conditions that we did not like. Considering both my mother's and aunt's need for assisted care and dementia, it was apparent that they needed to be in a smaller home with a lower ratio of staff to resident where more individual care was available. We interviewed several board and care facilities but were the most impressed with Irvine Cottages' physical facilities, skill of the staff, and care given to the residents. Four years later I can only say that they have exceeded our expectations. I don't think we could have found better care for mother and her sister. My mother passed away in 2010, however my aunt remains a resident.

Debbie Adams April 25, 2013

Finding an assisted living facility for my aging mother proved to be an emotional and difficult process. After living in an independent living facility for seven years after the passing of my father, her dementia suddenly worsened. Our greatest fear was her experiencing an increase in stress over relocating to a new facility. From day one Irvine Cottages has been her home. In her words "I love my home and I love my friends who take care of me and let me help take care of them. I feel like I belong here and I have never been happier." The staff at Irvine cottages have been incredible and always go above and beyond in caring for my mother and updating me on her health and wellbeing. The facilities are impeccable. I couldn't be more at peace and confident that my mother is receiving the care she deserves. Thank you Irvine Cottages!!

ShellyL April 22, 2013

I was introduced to " The Cottages " last March by a senior referral service , who assured me and my family that Jacque D. and her staff are the best in the industry. Simply said he was absolutely right! This was at a time of crisis in our family and most especially for me because my sisters live back East and I was the one they were counting on to do the on site inspections for our Moms new living arrangements. She was , because of her failing health, unable to return to her former assisted living facilty and we were having to decide where Mom will spend her final months.I did, of course, do my due diligence and visit other homes and interview other caregivers.but none compared with " The Cottages". From the time that my Mom moved in to the Cottages through the decision making process of chosing a Hospice company and then through my Moms final days I never felt alone in one of the hardest times of my life... I never had to worry about leaving Mom there because I knew she would be well taken care of... Bernie and Anna ( my Moms caregivers) were amazing! They treated my Mom with the respect, dignity and caring that she ( and all seniors ) deserve. No matter what time of day I got there the home was alway clean, the meals always nutritionally sound and the residents clean and well groomed. There were of course other residents there with my Mom and they were all well taken care of... My sisters were here before our Mom passed away and they too were impressed beyond words. The greatest compliment I ever received from my sisters was their expression of gratitude for finding Mom such a great place to live... Through my Moms last days Bernie and Anna were a source of strength to me and my family as were all the employees and we will never forget them ..Unfortunately my Mom has passed away and is no longer a resident at "The Cottages" but they will forever be part of our family... I actually do keep in touch with them on a regular basis and love them will all my heart... Shelly L.

shamblin April 12, 2013

I was looking for a facility for a very close friend who was recovering from cancer. Our criteria were that the place must be clean and homey, the care must be very good and attentive, the staff has to be experienced and be caring enough to make my friend feel like he would be in a family surrounding, not in an "institutional" place.

This company has several locations, so I looked at three of their facilities to compare. I looked at one in Newport Beach, one in Mission Viejo and one in Irvine. All three looked very clean and decorated like a family home. At one place I stayed through a lunch serving.

I was impressed that the staff knew the residents' special needs, medical and personal, and tend to them really well. This was very important to us. The care-givers were friendly and seemed devoted in their jobs. I thought these would help my friend feel like in a family home. The residents have access to art and crafts program, and pets (cat, dog, birds) if they want. There was also a nurse that made rounds at the facilities to check on the medications and the patients' welfare.

Sadly my friend passed away shortly thereafter, so he never moved in. But he would have stayed at one of the facilities and would be well taken care of, had he lived...

Loving daughter, Linda April 12, 2013

First, my mother and father moved to Irvine Cottages, as a couple who needed care and assistance. My father had more physical health problems that were beginning to restrict his activities. He and my mom had been married 77 years and he was caring for my mom at home with lots of help and support. She was developing memory problems and couldn't care for herself. It was becoming too much for all of us. Home care was great while it lasted, but we needed more and we needed to move them into a care facility. I was pleased to learn that Irvine Cottages has the flexibility with its 11 homes that allow you to choose the one that meets the varying needs of the people who are moving in, no matter the level of memory loss.

They were able to accommodate both my parents in a bedroom for two. My father, with advancing health problems; my mother with advancing dementia. They moved their two beds together so they could continue to sleep beside each other, hold hands and kiss each other good night, as they had for all their long married life. He passed away at 98 1/2 with the knowledge, I am sure, that my mother would be cared for safely and with great, loving care and experience. He was able to let go.

My mother doesn't know about it, but my father died last year. He had full time 24/7 care during his last days. Owner, Dr. DuPont, even called on a priest she knew to give my father his last rites just before he passed away, surrounded by love and care.

Her dementia continues. She misses my father, but we have told her a "white lie" to prevent her from grieving anew, over and over, when she asks about him. We have told her that he is in the hospital and suffers from a bad flu. She asks about many times, but she isn't as horrified as she would be if we were to have to tell her again and again that he passed away. This idea was suggested by one of the long-standing caregivers at Irvine Cottages, Noel. Our family has benefited from his knowledge and experience.

My mom will be 100 years old June 4, 2013. She is cared for day and night by excellent, well- trained staff. She is engaged in life with lots of music, art, parties and many activities and I am confident that her life retains quality, even with her age and dementia.

Another point that is important to make is the fact that there are video monitors watching all the time, even in the bedrooms. Staff, visitors and especially family members are aware of this feature of Irvine Cottages. It gives us, as her family, confidence to know that nothing bad will occur and if something looks wrong, the video monitor can be used to find the truth.

Combining love and expertise in the care of my mother and father at Irvine Cottages are only two of the important reasons that I am very happy to know my mother is living at Cottage 8.

Lara M April 11, 2013

My aunt was in a large facility where the ratio of care givers to patients was, as I felt, understaffed. The ratio was about 10 patients to 1 care giver. Since my aunt had been in the facility for a while I was unsure if I should move her since she seemed used to her surroundings. I asked Dr. Dupont to do a wellness check & it turned out my aunt's scalp was dirty & she had a UTI. It was at this point that I felt it was in my aunt's well-being that I move her to Irvine Cottages. My aunt lived out her days being lovingly cared for in a home which was filled with gentle music & had home-cooked meals every night. Every morning they dressed her & styled her hair beautifully & her nails were done every other week. The care she received was wonderful. I also felt secure knowing that there are cameras in the house so that if anything happened (a fall) I would know about it. I knew there wasn't elder abuse or theft - which can happen in some facilities. I'd highly recommend Irvine Cottages.

SusanKa April 08, 2013

I had two family members who lived in the Irvine Cottages at two of their OC locations. My father-in-law needed medical monitoring and meals as he recovered from a long period of illness. My sister-in-law also needed medical stability and med management and a safe, caring place to live. Irvine Cottages was all of that and so much more. The caregivers live on-site and are very invested in the residents. Medical management and safety are always top priority and the food is healthy and high quality, prepared on site by the caregivers. Appropriate activities are planned and every effort made to provide a high quality of "family style" life as well as excellent care.
The cottages are all very homey and comfortable and don't feel like a medical facility, more like a loving family home. The staff care for every resident as if they are family. When we visited, it felt like visiting our relative's shared home and we were always able to spend time with them in their room or the living room and other shared areas just as you would in a private home.
It is very safe, the staff monitors coming and going and controls that for residents who need a higher level of safety (severe Alzheimers) and do their best to group residents appropriately.

We will definitely rely on Irvine Cottages when any of our relatives need that level of care again. We've experienced (for our relatives) several types of care homes in Orange County that provide varying levels of care. Irvine Cottages is so much more personal than any other placement ever was and the level of care, personal attention and monitoring of health and safety are unmatched.

Newsj44 April 07, 2013

I was a resident of Cottage 11 shortly after Gall Bladder surgery for a year. All of the Cottages are family run. The Marin's ran mine a very loving couple from the Philippines. Even though I was younger than their target demographic the staff at the Cottages went out of their way to make sure I felt comfortable and with their help I graduated to "Independent " Living again.

I became such a fan that I helped place other resident's their after I moved on. I can think of no other place for your Mom, Dad or other friend or family member seeking Board and Care help. Their target demographic is Alzheimer's care in the lderly but they are open to serving younger people and other diagnosis. If your family member seeks individualized care Call Aileen at the Cottages for a tour.

Margaret S. April 07, 2013

My 87 year old father is a resident of Irvine Cottage #6. The caregivers Anthony, Ben and Caroline are WONDERFUL to my dad. My dad lived in "assisted living" prior to moving into Irvine Cottages, but the previous facility had elevators, long hallways, and was more of a hotel like facility with larger rooms and many residents. He required and I felt more reassured with the smaller facility that provides 24 hour care, and one that would help him with daily functions such as showers, clothing changes, etc. We are so happy we inquired and choose Irvine Cottages. All of the Irvine Cottages are cozy homes with the familiar sounds of a dishwasher, laundry machine, doorbell, birds chirping in the backyard, kitchen cooking, etc... It's very comforting for relatives of loved ones to know they are in a comfortable environment with professionals who know exactly how to handle complications from dementia, etc. My dad gets agitated from his inability to live life as he did in his earlier years - and this is a result of his stubborn side as well as his dementia. Anthony knows exactly how to handle his moods and my dad has come to rely on him and trust him. With medication, my dad's agitation has been relieved mostly, and with Anthony's care (and Ben and Caroline too) my dad is able to relax and enjoy life, eat very well, have companionship with the other residents, enjoy the lively atmosphere with relatives dropping by, the musical activities, as well as enjoy the backyard BBQs, and outside walks to the park nearby (with constant assistance, of course!)

Seeing your parent grow old is difficult; and seeing a parent grow old with dementia is a challenge. It can come on suddenly or progress over a few years and changes in your parent become noticeable. It's a very difficult decision to choose care and it can be overwhelming and worrisome. I can assure you that choosing any one of Irvine Cottages homes is going to be a good decision and you will feel reassured once your loved one is settled and after a month or so they are fully acclimated to their new friends, home and surroundings. It's challenging, I know! I feel very comfortable with the decision we made to have dad live in cottage #6. It's a darling home and very comfortable inside with FABULOUS caretakers that really do care!! Thank you Irvine Cottages, Anthony, Ben and Caroline - and Jacqueline, Alex too!! We could not be happier!

Dina Sherman April 06, 2013

Irvine Cottages provide such a beautiful, safe and loving environment for our family members. The staff and owners took such incredible care of two of my grandparents. When their health was good, the Cottages provided activities and excursions for my grandparents and our family. When their health, well, when things got tough, the caregivers were so good to my mother's mother and in another Cottage with my father's father. The owner and staff really helped my family and I cope. I am forever grateful for the wonderful people at Irvine Cottages!

Carla Turney April 06, 2013

My family and I cared for my mother as long as we were able to at our home. Although we wanted to continue this, medical reasons did not allow for it. Upon moving mom into the cottages, the entire Irvine Cottage team jumped at participating in a quality plan of care for her. I felt fully informed about what and how her care would be managed from Day 1. The team allowed for cozy and familiar decorating of her room, activities for stimulation, great home cooked food, and music and massage therapy. She was so blessed to be a home like atmosphere, with good smells and warm, caring companions for her. We all missed her, but never worried about her. This was a true home away from home for her.

From Irvine Cottages 1

Welcome to Irvine Cottages

Compassionate Assisted Living in a Cottage Setting & Exceptional Care

About us

Irvine Cottages is dedicated to providing compassionate and loving care to all of our residents. We offer memory care well above expected standards to provide families with peace of mind and to give our residents the highest quality of life.

We Specialize In:

• Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
  • Parkinson's Disease, Lewy Body Dementia
  • Diabetes/Nephrology
  • Hospice Care, including continuous care and a dedicated hospice program with one on-site hospice team

What Sets Irvine Cottages Apart?

There are many choices for a family to consider when looking for assisted living, and especially memory care. Irvine Cottages is a strong supporter of the idea, "Smaller is better." We believe that the intimacy we offer, along with the consistency of staffing in a small environment (no more than six residents maximum), makes Irvine Cottages feel like a familiar place for your loved ones -- just like the home they grew up in. A large or hotel-like facility may overwhelm a person with memory loss and lead to more confusion due to overstimulation. We find older adults with memory loss adapt quickly to the new, loving environment in our Cottages.

In everything we do one question is always on our minds, "How do we make life comfortable, safe and enjoyable for those whose care has been entrusted to us?" Safety, security, appropriate-level cognitive care and a comprehensive activities program all improve the day-to-day lives of our residents. We are the only facility in the State of California to have a comprehensive camera monitoring program in all bedrooms of the facility. Your loved one's safety and your peace of mind are our main concerns.

Currently we have two nurses on staff who visit residents daily. We also have medication technicians, social service directors, maintenance staff, and other professionals who give the best care possible. We have the lowest caregiver staff turnover reported in the area. On average the House Managers have been employed for five years or more. Our caregivers provide compassionate and intelligent care for all.

Boredom in a small board and care can be an issue, but not at the Cottages. We provide: Music Therapy two to three days a week, Art Therapy once a week, daily Karaoke, game time, outings, gardening, massage therapy, and even aromatherapy. Group or individual exercise activities occur at 10:00 am every day, so all of our residents know what to expect.

An older adult with memory loss has a lot to deal with during their transition to a new home, such as experiencing a new environment, meeting new people, or finding the bathroom. Therefore, for the first three days, we offer a "friend," a caregiver assigned to give extra help at night or during the day to ease their settling comfortably into a new environment. The new "friend" will answer questions, provide reassurance, and give additional cues to their new surroundings.

We do our best to group our care for older adults into three levels, from mild memory loss, to moderate, and for those who need a lot of extra care. Every Cottage has programs tailored to meet each population's specific needs and concerns. For example, some Cottages have extra night care, while some have more music therapy. In order to truly know what level of care or which Cottage will be a good fit for your loved one, a tour with one of our Family Service Directors will assist you in making the right choice!

By providing excellent memory care, we decrease your levels of stress and time spent worrying. You will be able to relax because you know your loved ones are in highly-skilled and compassionate hands. You will be able to enjoy quality visits with your family members, rather than doing the myriad of caregiving tasks on your "To Do" list. That's what we're here for - to make your life easier and your caregiving journey smoother from now on!

In October 2015, Dr. Jacqueline Dupont, Gerontologist and Founder of Irvine Cottages, was honored to receive the 2015 Senior Care Hero Humanitarian Award from SeniorServ, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of older adults.

We have 13 total cottages serving these areas in Orange County:
  • Irvine Northwood, Turtle Rock and University Park
  • Newport Beach Back Bay Neighborhood
  • Mission Viejo Alicia and La Paz exits off the 5 Freeway

If you have questions, need further information, or want to schedule a tour, please call (866) 824-8174. Or you can complete the Contact Form below. Thank you for your interest! !

Jacqueline Dupont, Founder of Irvine Cottages, is a gerontologist with over 20 years of experience in the field of aging and Alzheimer’s care. Irvine Cottages offer a unique approach to resident protection with full-facility camera coverage. We have 13 Cottages to suit your needs. Staff to resident ratio 2 to 3 caregivers per 6 residents.

Features of Irvine Cottages 1