Brookdale Champion Oaks

17705 Red Oak Drive, Houston, TX, 77090

Reviews of Brookdale Champion Oaks

UnhappyFamilyMember911 November 29, 2013

IF YOU LOVE YOUR FAMILY MEMBER, DO NOT LEAVE THEM HERE!!! My family member was at this facility for less than one year, and we had the same problems consistently (not bathing my family member, not changing the bed linens despite incontinence, falls going unattended, terrible food, emergency pendant to alert help never worked). I visited often, at all times of the day or night. High turnover in management. Always understaffed. Staff not licensed. This facility should be closed down until a serious overhaul takes place.

Barbara71534650 September 23, 2013

Emeritus at Champion costs only $2,400 a month and it includes everything. The people there were wonderful. Everybody there was friendly. It was not a new place, but the apartments were very nice. It was not a huge place, but it was spacious. It had an atrium at the middle where you could walk. They had activities like cards and games. They had a huge dining room. I didn't eat there, but the people who lived there told me that the food was good.

Gracie3 September 19, 2013

My mom is doing fine in Emeritus at Champion. We like it best because the price is just right. My mom has been to several places and so far, it is working out okay with this one. They have a very nice staff. The room that she has is nice and accommodating. Food is good. We have no complaints from her. Overall, they are doing a good job.

caring68281 June 25, 2013

The staff at Emeritus at Champion seemed very friendly and very helpful when I visited the place. It's the place where I would like to put my mom if only we could afford it. I like the cleanliness of the place. I like the fact that they interact with their patients. They get them out of their rooms and get them to participate. They are proactive. My only problem is that the room they would put her would be much, much smaller and she can't bring her dog.

Bernardene Katona March 21, 2013

I would not recommend Emeritus on Red Oak. My aunt was there for a total of 6 days and 5 nights. She was neglected. They never bathed her, the doctor never saw her within that 6-day period. She was in the room by herself even when I told them she didn't like staying by herself. She was there for 5 nights without a roommate, terrified. The room was dirty with diapers on the floor. They never bothered to pick them up. There was no receptacle in the room where to put the diapers in. There were several houses that this one guy owned in the private care facility and one was dirtier than the other.

I also never got her medical records. Emeritus was private pay. I insisted on a refund for the unused days according to their contract. They wanted me to live up to it, but they didn't want to live up to their part of the bargain. I have nothing but very, very bad reports as far as they are concerned.

OneEyeTio December 22, 2012

My mom has been living in this facility now for almost five years. My mom was a very active person and she was always the one who took care of everyone, until five years ago, when she had her stroke. It was such a shock to all of our family. The staff seemed to be so friendly and the overall conditions of the rooms were great.

caring6061 June 09, 2012

It was the only one that contacted me back first, and the only one that I'd been able to find so far up in on the North side of Houston that truly takes medicaid. I guess they save like 20 or 30 percent of their rooms for medicaid recepients.

I like that my mother is eligible to go there and that it has pet eligibility. She can bring her pet which would do wonders for her being able to have her pet back. The staff was very pleasant and very welcoming. Two or three of the residents there actually wheeled over to me in their wheelchairs and just took the time and said how happy they were there. They were very complimentary of the facility, saying that it was a great place. One of them have been there for 5 years and the other for 3 years.

It's just that Emeritus at Champion was a little older facility, looking about 15 years old. It had never been renovated or updated really. Also the location of it - there's no access from that facility for my mother on her electric wheelchair. It's kind of out there in the middle of nowhere. Where she can't utilize that to go to any stores next door or down within a block. It's mile and miles before you could even get anywhere and it's just on a 2-lane road with no sidewalks. So basically she's confined there and at that point I was looking for a place that had more independence to her mobility. There is no external wheelchair accessibility whatsoever.

lmcrayne October 04, 2011

My parents and I visited my Aunt who has been living in this facility now for almost five years. My aunt was a very active person and she was always the one who took care of everyone, until five years ago, when she had her stroke. It was such a shock to all of our family. This was my mother's sister in law and they were very close. My uncle and his children had put my Aunt in this facility. When we visited her at the facility she was clean and seemed happy. Off course she can not speak with words, but she does get her point across in many non verbal skills. The staff seemed to be so friendly and every day my uncle goes and has lunch with his wife. My cousins have paid for the meal, but my uncle just thinks the staff is allowing him to eat one meal a day with his wife. I thought that really showed a lot of compassion for both my Aunt and Uncle.

From Brookdale Champion Oaks

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale Champion Oaks