Hawaii Kai

428 Kawaihae St, Honolulu, HI, 96825

Reviews of Hawaii Kai

Marlene29 September 07, 2015

The Hawaii Kai was great; the staff was fantastic. Because I can’t eat certain things, they made up a special sandwich for me. The only thing I would have to do before I would totally sign up for it is check the pool out because I’m a swimmer. I went back to see the one unit because it was the only one that furniture and everything would have fit. They have a library inside; I’m a reader, so the library was great. They have puzzles, too.

Caring112712050 September 07, 2015

I visited Hawaii Kai. I have been there several times; I do have friends there. The apartments were lovely. However, the last time I visited, I had dinner there, and I didn't think the food was up to par. It was not what it had been when it first opened. It was turkey, and to me, it seemed like a canned turkey with canned gravy, and it didn't seem fresh to me. However, at Hawaii Kai, they were lovely people. I visited a gentleman last year around Christmas time, and they were playing lots of games like games with small prizes. It looked interesting. They were all having fun, and my friend liked it also.

Caring105469950 May 02, 2015

We liked Hawaii Kai very much, but it was a little expensive. The sales staff was very nice. We had lunch over there, and you can order from a menu. The food was very good. It's three meals a day. They had card games, exercise rooms, and a woodworking shop. The only thing I wasn't happy about it was that the two bedrooms only had one toilet, but they were very nice and clean. We talked to some of the people there, and they liked it.

Alika March 18, 2015

I did visit a facility, and I stayed there for two nights. It is called the Hawaii Kai Retirement Center. It is a very nice place. The food is acceptable and very good. If my VA payment comes through and I get a 100% disability, I'll be able to afford to stay there. It is independent care. It is just a one bedroom, and I made suggestions as to how they can rent it out with a few changes. It wasn't well maintained, and that is one of the things I told them. The door to the bathroom was hung the wrong way. It blocks the entry to the bedroom. The shower handles which pointed which was hot and which was cold was reversed. The curtain in the bedroom was all resident added. When we moved the bed covers, my wife and I sneezed. There is enough space to it. In fact, the one I am looking to go to is on the ground floor within ten yards of the swimming pool and within five yards of my handicapped parking which is outside my door. I don't even have to go to the reception area to get in my room. I could park my car, walk about five yards, get my key to the outer door, and go right in. It is very convenient. It is a two bedroom but actually it has an extra room which I can use as a place for my computer or study. I'll rate it the highest. Otherwise I wouldn't go there; if I found that what I wanted is not up to par, then I wouldn't even plan on going there.

Caring94681550 February 19, 2015

I liked the Hawaii Kai. They saw me right away and took me all around. I thought the rooms were nice. I liked that the dining area was pretty close to where the rooms were. I really liked the setup. I thought it was really nice and clean.

Kate18 November 30, 2014

Hawaii Kai is close to where my father's previous residence was, and it was going to be easy for friends to visit, plus they had a nice facility and reasonable rates. The staff members are very accommodating and very nice. They get to know their residents very quickly. It is just a very open, very nice facility. The rooms are of different sizes, so they have a lot of different options, they are all clean and very well-kept, and there is good security. They'll even bring a tray to his room if he doesn’t feel up to going down to the dining room; it is very healthy food, but there are lots of nice choices. They are very nice, they have lots of activities for the residents, and they have a lot of freedom to move around and go to visit different parts of the building. They have a good bus service to the local shopping areas. They really do try to keep the residents active and engaged. It is a very nice apartment and very well-appointed; there is a little kitchenette and a nice bathroom, so it is very comfortable.

Caring8487 August 28, 2014

When I went to Hawaii Kai, the people were absolutely nice. Everyone seemed content. I didn't see anybody there that wasn't happy. There was a friendly atmosphere. The food was actually better than expected. I went for a two-night stay and the room I was in was a one-bedroom. They had so much wasted space in a one-bedroom. I certainly wouldn't want that much room. Also, you could feel the box spring from the mattress. They should have at least made it comfortable. The pillow had a smell to it, like it wasn't a fresh pillow. I went out to the front desk at 9:30 at night because they said if you need anything, you just go to the front desk, but it was closed. They didn't have a lot of activities, but I did go into a singing group. I joined everything that was there for the short time that I was there and that was very nice. At night, if you look out, it is a beautiful view and the ocean is there, but there isn't anything to do. They should have something going on until at least midnight. The food was great. Everyone was enjoying themselves; however, dinner at 5 was way too early for me. Everyone was happy, it was just not my type of life. I don't like to just watch television at night. I would like to have more to do at night time. There, you could walk outside and it's nothing, but the beautiful view. It is like being out in a country to me. Nevertheless, I would certainly recommend this place to others.

Caring00000231 August 13, 2014

Hawaii Kai was wonderful. It was clean; it was nice; and the people were very professional. The girl who gave me the tour was very knowledgeable and very caring about my situation. It seemed like a very nice place. The rooms were as I expected: a one-bedroom which was very nice and well-appointed. The dining room was like casual dining. The place was very clean and very well-maintained. The only drawback was the price.

Andrei1 February 01, 2014

Hawaii Kai is in a very nice environment. It is in a nice and very secure area. It is a very nice community. I would love to stay there but it was just overpriced for me. I really don't have anything negative to say about it other than it's pricey. I did see that there was probably some minimal maintenance needed on some parts of it, but nothing major. They have very nice and very cordial people. I checked out a studio and it was really small, but at my point, I really don't need much more than that. The dining facility looked very nice. I had lunch there and it was fine. I met a couple of nice people and they did make an effort to make you feel comfortable. They did provide activities for their residents. They did have ample transportation everyday to go to for little things like go to the post office, to the grocery store, to wherever actually.

Caring74135450 November 27, 2013

We visited Hawaii Kai and I like the place except that it's very far from where I am right now. The facility was quite nice and it was spacious. Their parking lot was adequate. The dining room was nice. The staff was a little bit friendly. I saw a studio apartment and it was quite small. I did not notice any activity at the time that I was visiting the facility, but I did notice a table with jigsaw puzzles laid out for whomever who wants to play with it and I like that.

Joey3 July 11, 2013

I've found a place for my mom and it's called Hawaii Kai. It's one of the best here in Hawaii. It's very homey, there's a lot of support from the staff, a lot of activities, and a lot of acreage for the place itself. It's very widespread. She has a very large studio place. They do everything, all the meals included, so my mom didn't have to cook. We have once a week cleaning service.

Allene1 August 09, 2012

There is an independent living section and an assisted living section. Clean, home like atmosphere. Good variety of meals in a relaxing enviroment. Very airy feeling in the hallways, common areas.

From Hawaii Kai

Situated on 23 acres of lush, tropical splendor, you'll fall in love with our peaceful island in the sun. Residents also enjoy the convenience of being just 20 minutes from downtown Honolulu and Waikiki. The Hawaii Kai independent and assisted living retirement community is close to shopping centers, healthcare, and many wonderful and unique local attractions.

Holiday Retirement's all-inclusive lifestyle provides everything a senior needs to live a healthy and enjoyable retirement. Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:

• Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
  • A variety of enriching activities
  • Weekly housekeeping and linen service
  • Transportation

• Parking
  • Private Dining Room
  • Resident Kitchen
  • Live-in managers

*Rates listed are based on single occupancy

Pet Policy

Holiday Retirement warmly welcomes cats and dogs at no additional fee. Please see community for details.

Office Hours