Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown

10116 Sharpsburg Pike, Hagerstown, MD, 21740

Reviews of Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown

Dennis9 August 10, 2013

My mother actually passed away about three weeks after I put her on Somerford House. The place is very homey. It didn't feel medical. The atmosphere and the staff is all good. I've tasted the food and it's good. They got a number of activities. They do shopping trips and outings. They have sort of different living rooms. They also have a video library where the residents could watch movies. The staff is very conscientious. You don't get a sense that anybody is actually working, they just all help each other to help the patients. I'm even impressed that the sales person who really doesn't deal with patient care on a full time basis but she knows of everybody there and interact with everybody.

no rights for the elderly March 07, 2013

my father-in-law was a resident for one day! they dumped him off at meritus hospital and told us not to bring him back. we will be seeking legal ramifications and whatever sanctions the state can afford him. no rights for the elderly!

Biggulp21740 August 23, 2012

This facility is indeed beautiful. However , when a resident becomes a problem because of their disease they no longer can "meet their needs". They may be sent to the hospital, state police called, and the family delivered a letter that states instant dismissal. beware of the Trojan Horse!

fabledkh July 23, 2012

The brochure we read prior to our visit didn't lie in the least bit. It advertised a facility with scenic landscapes, beautiful buildings, tons of opportunity for entertainment, lots of shopping outlets, and plenty of medical facilities. All of these were present and in great repair. Staff is on-hand every hour of every day, giving families the comfort of knowing their loved one is always taken care of. Additionally, there were several places of worship located nearby, which is absolutely fantastic. The people working were always doing something. I've been to facilities where staff could be seen loitering about, seemingly doing nothing with their time. It makes you wonder about the provided care. In this instance, everyone had a job to do. Whether it was escorting a resident to the cafeteria or doing a load of laundry, everyone was occupying their time doing something beneficial for the residents. The facility itself--in addition to looking fantastic--had an inviting atmosphere. Truthfully, as far as a retirement home is concerned, you'd have a hard time finding an alternative to home that feels more like home. Overall, I was very impressed with the facility. I'm unaware of the costs at the current moment, so I won't comment on that. It wouldn't surpise me if they were substantial, but the costs wouldn't come without the desired results. It's definitely work looking at Somerford Place if you've got a loved on dealing with Alzheimer's.

sallyharvington April 14, 2012

Somerford seemed to keep my grandmother quite happy. Making the choice for an assisted living facility can be difficult because all of them are trying to make the best impression, but Somerford seemed to actually have a genuine interest in resident's well-being. My grandmother seemed happy with the supportive, helpful staff (who often worked with her to help keep her memory in check) and the facilities seemed clean and well-maintained. We would sit with her while she ate lunch and the food seemed well-prepared and nutritious. The facilities themselves are intriguing and well-designed (there is a lobby foyer designed like an open park with shops) and there are endless activities for residents. While not every facility is perfect, Somerford seemed for the most part to strive for a comfortable, supportive atmosphere.

From Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown

Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown offers compassionate senior care in Hagerstwon, MD. We strive to create a home-like atmosphere where you and your loved ones can feel secure. Our warm, well-trained staff works closely with our residents to provide the utmost care and comfort. As part of the Five Star corporation, you can be sure that everyone at Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown shares the Five Star Values, and is committed to a high level of caring in all that they do. Please schedule a visit to see why we are the first choice in senior care in Hagerstown, MD.

Features of Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes
  • Hospice care

• Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Fitness Room/Gym

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition

• Private services

• Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $4,740/month

• Staff patient ratio: 8 to 1 Memory Care - 12 to 1 Assisted
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Licenses: yes

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Somerford House & Place of Hagerstown