Brookdale Garden Grove

10200 Chapman Avenue, Garden Grove, CA, 92840

Reviews of Brookdale Garden Grove

Anonymous110362950 January 15, 2016

My father is fine at Brookdale Garden Grove, but he has a few issues. There could be more activities. They go on scenic drives and out to lunch once a week, but where he lived before, there was a lot more to do. They could definitely have more activities and be a little more efficient with fixing the heaters and things like that. My father has a nice room with a sliding door that looks out to an open area. The food is OK. He likes it better than the other place. The dining area is very nice and has waiters that come and serve them. The facility seems nice.

Anonymous115595650 October 29, 2015

At Brookdale Garden Grove, there was nobody to take us around so we just looked on our own. We didn't have an appointment, and everybody was busy; however, the girl that was with us for a little while, she didn't know a lot, but she was helpful. She just wasn't the person that we were supposed to see. We saw the room and the entertainment facilities, and they were about the same as with the other facility.

Erin8 September 17, 2015

I didn't like it. Brookdale Garden Grove (Formerly Emeritus at Garden Manor) had a nursing home feel to it. I did like their dog area a lot better though. I also didn't like the memory care side. It wasn't horrible; it just gave me a nursing home vibe. The dining room was set up nice. It looked like a dining room in a hospital almost. They had things to do as well, but not as many things on the schedule as where my mother is. They also had a salon and a nail place on site.

Sherri12 September 07, 2015

I have my parent in Brookdale Garden Grove. I like the layout. It is very cozy. The staff is very great, and they have been there a long time. I have tried their food. It is very good.

Darlyn2 July 31, 2015

Garden Grove was very nice. I had two neighbors that were there some time ago. We liked that facility, and he did too, but that was more than he could afford. It was clean, and it had a lot of activities going on. When you talk to the people, they were very happy there.

Bones1 July 28, 2015

My mother has been in Brookdale Garden Grove for three years now, and the only thing that she has to complain about is the food because the food is really bad as they changed management and owners, and they need to be improved. The community is very nice and clean. The staff there is very nice, and they are very good with me and my brother. He keeps very good contact with the staff there. They all know him, and he does get involved with people there. From what I see and what he sees, it’s pretty good. We haven’t had any bad experiences. They take very good care of my mom, and I would give it an A plus on that part. They change the sheets for her as she doesn’t know how to.

Caring110774250 July 21, 2015

I lived at Brookdale Garden Grove (Emeritus at Garden Manor) for about 9 years. It's a good place, but they are changing ownership. It’s a beautiful place and very clean as well. I have a largest room with a walk-in closet, living room, bedroom, refrigerator, and a microwave. The dining room is very beautiful. Overall, it’s nice, but it's expensive.

Maggie25 May 22, 2015

I was a resident of a different community for four years, but the owner had his license revoked. We all had to move, and I'm very happy I found Brookdale Garden Grove. The people are nice, and it is run very professionally. The food is good, and I have no complaints at all. The staff is wonderful, and the executive manager is right on the ball. Anything we want, she goes out of her way to get it, which is the same with all the staff. I have no complaints at all.

Caring110157050 April 30, 2015

The staff at Brookdale Garden Grove were very nice and professional. It was a pleasant place. With their activities, they have a bus that takes the residents to different places. They do have a lot of activities going on inside the facility, and that was nice.

Terri29 February 11, 2015

Brookdale Garden Grove was fine. It was a lower level facility than what I have seen. I didn't really pay attention on the security of the place. I think it is a viable option; it's just that it is not a viable option for me. It is too far out, and I wasn't that crazy about the neighborhood. I think they are fine from what I saw. The only thing I would say is I'm not sure if the person who gave me the tour is the person who is scheduled to give me the tour. She was OK, but she wasn't very engaging. It was literally just a tour of the facility. I'm used to engaging people in conversation and people promoting the facility. This person literally said a couple of things. I think she is just very new with what she is doing. That definitely could be improved upon.

Caring102166250 February 09, 2015

I also visited a couple of facilities -- one in Orange and one in Garden Grove -- and they were really run down and not in good shape at all. You can really tell the difference. The Brookdale at Garden Grove was a little bit better. I did feel like this was a better facility, and the people were welcoming. The residents seemed a little more engaged, and there was a very positive atmosphere here. The director here was willing to work with me. The facility is OK, and it would have been fine, but the other facility ended up being better.

anonymous100288450 January 24, 2015

My wife is in Brookdale Garden Grove, and I like the place. It looks nicer than the other places I saw. It looks more like a hotel, and the rooms are really nice. I guess this is what I really like about it. The people are friendly, and they seem to be doing a good job. They are taking good care of her.

Caring97214550 December 12, 2014

Mom was at Emeritus at Garden Manor for three months, and the stay was not good. They didn’t have enough staff to care for the residents. It was a lovely place, and the people in it were nice, but they were just understaffed, and their prices were a lot higher.

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. We want to thank you for your feedback and please know it will be reviewed and used to better serve our residents and their families in the future.

Patti17 December 06, 2014

Emeritus at Garden Manor was kind of dated. It probably could have been redecorated. My impression of it was that there were really a lot of older people. The rooms were small. However, the staff was amazing. It was kind of a tough time for us at that time, but they were so supportive, and they really tried to be objective in finding the best place for my sister. What stands out to me was that you can have your own car, but they also had good transportation, and they were willing to take you anywhere you want to go. The facility was near shopping, and it was in a nice area. The surroundings seemed safe and accessible.

Carrie16 December 03, 2014

We did see another Emeritus as well, and I would score it higher than the other Emeritus just because of the room size. I didn’t see there are smaller rooms at this one, and the one that I was shown over there was a studio, but the patio spaces are much larger and they have a lot of extra rooms whereas the other one was very tiny.

The staff was really nice, and she liked that, but then the size of the room was too little. It doesn’t have very good parking at all, and I couldn’t even remember a patio; they said they have one, but I couldn’t even remember it.

We saw the calendar of activities, and I do think their location was nice for me because I have kids. They have a little shopping center there, they have a movie theatre, and they have a park that they could walk because of those things; having a kid and having my mom in a wheelchair, I thought there was a place that we could go without having to get her out in a car. I kind of like the outdoor activities, but that’s not really part of the Emeritus, and I kind of like the location.

Jacqueline13 October 22, 2014

The staff at Emeritus was a little pushy on wanting to sign us up, and we weren’t ready to make decision for my sister yet. The rooms looked fine and each resident has their own furniture. Everything looked very clean and nice, and there were no odors anywhere. They didn’t seem to have the sameentertainment facilities as the one in Westminster.

Tina27 October 03, 2014

We had a nice tour at Emeritus at Garden Manor. It was very clean. We visited the memory care, and we liked how the facility was set up. It just seemed to fit all the needs. The people were personable. We saw the list of activities, and it seemed more than what we needed. I thought the rooms were fine.

Deborah35 August 07, 2014

Emeritus looked wonderful but also expensive. The staff seemed very pleasant and accommodating. The building was just redone and it was beautiful. Their rooms were extremely small and their prices were very high.

Caring95095450 June 27, 2014

It's been three months since I moved into the Emeritus at Garden Manor. Basically, it is a clean community. I do a lot of reading here in my room, but they do have a very good, well lit library. I have a very, very nice room. It is a one-bedroom that has a separate bathroom and a big closet and it is adequately sized. Lighting would have been horrible, but I've got a nice floor lamp and a reading light. The staff is very courteous. Their food is very adequate, and all in all, the food is good. The dining room is well kept. It's clean, a pretty good size, and well lit. They seem to have something going on all the time.

Caring85771250 June 27, 2014

We picked Emeritus at Garden Manor for my aunt because it feels like it will be comfortable for her and because it is within 20 minutes of where we live. My first impression of the place was its friendliness. From what I have seen so far, I think the staff is fine. They are very friendly and very helpful. They really care about the people they take care of. My aunt is in a single room unit with a bathroom, and it is spacious enough for her. She requires some help, so people come in and help her with some things. I have not eaten there, but her tablemate in the dining room tells me that the food is delicious. They seem to enjoy the food. My aunt is 97 years old and doesn't eat much. She would rather eat ice cream. I think when you are 97, if you want to eat ice cream, you should get to eat ice cream. The dining room is lovely. It is very clean and very well lit. It has a pleasant and positive atmosphere. They have lots of activities, but she only participates in playing bingo and going to the birthday celebrations they have once a month for the residents who have their birthdays in that month. They have go to picnics in the park. They go to the movies, and they have a lot of different games that the people can participate in. However, they need a bigger parking lot because parking is a problem.

Caring83371750 May 12, 2014

Garden Manor was nice. I had no problem with it, and I thought my sister would like it. The people who lived there, as well as some of the people we ran into who worked there, were friendly. I visited it, and I went back to visit, and even in going back it was different. They said, "Only one cat," and I said, "I never would have visited you, if you said it before". It was two cats then. Then, they said two, but they wanted $60 a month for the cats, and that was $720 a year. She doesn’t have it. I don't dislike the place. I disliked the price. I have not tried the food, but we might go in together and try it because they suggested to bring my sister in at lunchtime or something. My sister just got here a week ago, so we will be making some appointments and visiting. Parking for was awful. There were no spaces.

Caring79091750 March 29, 2014

We liked Emeritus at Garden Manor better than the first facility we visited. The problem that I saw with it was, the room that we looked at anyway, didn’t have a handicap bathroom. It had grab bars and things, but it wasn’t like a bathroom you could roll into. I think my brother might be in a wheelchair before too much longer, so I'm kind of looking for that. I was little disappointed in the bathroom. I guess there were some rooms that had those kinds of bathrooms, but they weren’t available to look at. But I thought it was a very nice setting, and there was a nice residential area. It was bright looking and was very pleasant. It was such a brief overview of the place, but the people there seemed very nice. I had no issues with it; I was just expecting more of a handicap bathroom. This place is more updated than the other Emeritus facility that we saw.

Patricia49 December 28, 2013

What I like about Emeritus now that my brother is there is that they are very loving and caring. They are very helpful and willing to do anything for us to help him. They are very good with the care that they give. I love their dining room. It has frost tablecloth and a nice chandelier hanging over the table with cloth napkins. It is set up so beautiful and very inviting when you walk by.

Emeritus is also less expensive than any other place. So, when we go and see the it, I don't think we go and see other places. We are really happy with it and decide that this is the one we want.

Kelly9 August 26, 2013

I choose Emeritus at Garden Manor because I like the staff and their price is within my budget. They have a good room size and it has nice grounds. I tasted the food and it is good. They do have activities for the residents. They are fabulous and they are taking good care of my parents.

Georgette1 July 10, 2013

Emeritus was clean; it's not spectacular but well kept. They're under construction at the time. I liked the facility but it's just a little too steep for the price we were looking. The staff was really nice. She said they have a lot of activities and they took them on outings frequently which were very nice.

yolo87 November 21, 2012

We originally visited this facility as we were looking for homes for my grandfather and grandmother. We wanted to find a nice location in Orange County that was close to their current home. We were immediately impressed with Emeritus at Garden Manor. We loved the location as it was conventienly located to major freeways which would make visiting very convient. One of the things that we really liked about the facility was the option of both smaller studio rooms as well as one bedrooms. We wanted the transition from home to assisted living to be as similar as possible and knew that finding large living quarters was going to be important. The library in the facility was really a great space and having an on campus beauty salon meant that my grandmother could still feel special without having to leave the location on a regular basis. We were a little concerned that the place allowed for pets, but upon visiting we found that very few of the residents actually had pets.The types of services that a facility provides was also important. We liked the fact that The Emeritus at Garden Manor could provide high level s of care if need be, such as bathing and dressing to more simple help with things like going for walks. They try to involve the local community in activities, although from talking with some of the current residents, we found this interaction to be limited. One of the things that we most enjoyed about the facility, which is extremely important is the staff. We found them all to be very friendly and most of all caring towards the residents.

dottommytm October 30, 2012

I have had family in Garden Grove for my whole life, so I am pretty familiar with the area. About 2 years ago my great aunt moved into Emeritus at Garden Manor. I hadn't visited her however until April of 2012. Upon arrival at Emeritus, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a very nice facility. The lobby is extraordinary compared to other facilities I have been to. It was very well kept as well. The staff was extremely kind and helpful with any questions I had, as well as helping me get around the facility. Spirits were generally high throughout, with respect to the tenants. My great uncle enjoys his stay here. He says that the staff is very nice to him and he has also made friends with many people that live here as well. They have a excellent library here that gives the tenants somewhere to relax. They have many other activities as well, that I did not get to experience. The dining room is top notch as well as the food they serve. This is one of the best facilities I have visited and I would highly recommend it to others.

JohnAnderson49 June 13, 2012

From Brookdale Garden Grove

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale Garden Grove

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System

• Hospice care

• General store
  • Features extra: Library

• Religious services

• Private services

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Licenses: license #306000831
  • State License(s): 306000831

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Brookdale Garden Grove