Somerford House & Place of Frederick

Overview of Ratings

4.1

June 26, 2014

By Shelley0958

I like Somerford. It was just more homey. They even have a duck pond outside. I like the apartment. It had a living room, a bedroom, a little eating kitchen, and a little patio on the outside. I like the way the setting was on the patios of all the apartments. It just seemed more personal. The patios face each other like a circle, so all the residents can see each other. I like Somerford the best when it came to their rooms and everything. It didn't seem like they were in assisted living; it looked like they were in an apartment complex. My father smokes cigars, and Somerford was the only one that would allow him to have a cigar.

March 29, 2014

Somerford Place Frederick was exceptional. The reason it was exceptional was that they actually have a memory clinic there. They have an assessment method that has been developed that can identify your level of cognitive functioning, your needs for assistance for activities of daily living and the recommended living, and finally, how much support you would need to maintain the highest level of independence. So the fact that they have that there, I just think it was fabulous. The staff there was very professional. You can tell that they have built-in this sort of added support because they also have an Alzheimer's wing. I like that it is an assisted living and that it is all on one floor. They have different activities like exercise programs, music programs, etc. I really like it a lot. You could use their transportation service so you can easily get out and go to different places in the community of Frederick, and I like that very much. Food was American fare. It was low-sugar and low-salt. Overall, Somerford Place Frederick was a beautiful community. I have already recommended it to someone whose father has dementia. I told her that this is the one place that I would put a loved one because it is professional but caring.

March 28, 2014

Somerford was probably my number three. They were very nice too. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Their rooms and activities were similar to the other facilities; however, I like this one better. The rooms were very comfortable. Most of them had a small kitchenette, private bath, little living room area, and bedroom. It was more than what my mother needs because she doesn't cook or anything.

January 31, 2014

My parents are current residents of Somerford House. It was one of the places that was on the list given by Caring.com. We have been really happy with this place. My parents seem to be happy as well being there. There's a hometown feel to it. They seem very concerned about the residents. They try to make it a home for them. However, their rooms are on the small side. We have my parents in their one-bedroom and it's a bit tight. Regarding the staff, so far, they're great. They really do seem to be very caring and very responsive. They've been very responsive to my mom's dietary requirements and she didn't have to ask for them not to put sauces on her food. Food is fine. They are more homecooked meals. My parents would have their main meal at lunch time. Now, they have gotten used to it and they really like it.

November 10, 2013

By harrysmom

The dementia/memory care unit is extremely understaffed. We are so disapointed in the lack of quality care our Dad received. Family visited daily and we were stunned by how deceiving initial tours of this facility turned out to be once he moved in. Receptionists were more aware of paitient issues or needs than nurses and administrators were. Miscommunications, and ongoing delays was through out his entire stay. Paitients who are active are left on their own despite their mental capacity. Those who are not active or are heavily medicated are herded to a main living room area by the nurses desk to sleep through out the day. The activities director looks exhausted from doing beyond the scope of her job to assist residents with nursing needs. It is very sad as the facility is beautiful and nice location.

My name is Heather Junta and I am the Executive Director at Somerford Frederick, I have been here for 5 years. We take all reviews very seriously as we pride ourselves with high customer service with all our residents and families. We purposely do not have nursing stations in our community because we like to promote a homelike environment. We are always available to discuss any and all concerns, and I invite you to please contact me so I can address any concerns or questions you may have. Sincerely, Heather Junta

May 22, 2013

By Constance2

My mother's happy at Somerford House. The care from the aides to the nurses, to the physical therapists, has just been outstanding. The place is so clean. She's in a large bedroom with a large bathroom. The food is really fresh and their dining room is really pretty. But it seems like they've cut down some of the food portions. They have lots of activities like bingo and they even have people that comes in to play music and sing. They have movies on Saturdays in a big room with a widescreen TV. They have also crafts and they take them out for different activities. We haven't had a problem or issue with anything. My sisters and I are very happy with it.

April 13, 2012

By Anna3

I think this facility was really nice. The people there are nice and friendly. The nurses were really caring and always fed the medications on time. There are a lot of fun actiivites and games like bingo. The amenities were great. This facility was right next to a lake and it had a really pretty view. There is a garden near it and lots of chairs outside for the seniors to live in. The staff were friendly and willing to help me and the residents. The facilities are nice. The rooms are really nice and pretty big. In each room, there is a bed, a sofa, a refrigerator, and a personal bathroom. This facility even serves dinner and snakes if needed. If the residents are hungry, they can eat! This is a great facility. My grandma loves it. I would recommend it to anyone who needs assisted living help. Somerford is a really friendly place.

Questions About Somerford House & Place of Frederick

Q: What safety features or security measures do you offer to your assisted living residents?

A: We have 24-hour nursing and a safety call system in each room.

Q: What places are near the community or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

A: We are conveniently located next to a small shopping center that has three restaurants, a nail salon, a barber shop and a fitness center. We are also located next to Whittier Lake and there are nice walking paths around the entire lake.

Q: What transportation services do you offer to assisted living residents?

A: We do offer transportation services on Mondays and Wednesdays inside Frederick County.

Q: How do you keep residents’ families informed about their loved ones?

A: We do 45-day assessments and offer timely care plan meetings to openly discuss resident care with family members.

Q: What programs or activities do you offer to enrich your residents’ well-being?

A: A wide variety of activities are offered including outings, entertainment, exercise, games, arts and crafts, worldly trivia, and lots of social time.

Q: What makes your chef or dining program exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted residents expect?

A: We have an all-day dining program by which any resident can get a meal at their desire anytime during the day. We have a wide variety of menu options.

Q: What safety features or security measures do you provide to protect residents who wander?

A: Our Memory Care building is a secure building with many outdoor areas that are also secure as well.

Q: If your community accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

A: We do allow pets in our Assisted Living building provided that the resident can care for the pet. Both buildings on campus have outdoor areas.

Photos of Somerford House & Place of Frederick

• Vegetarian

• Pets: All Pets Allowed

• Licenses: Maryland Assisted Living License

About Somerford House & Place of Frederick

Somerford House & Place of Frederick offers compassionate senior care in Frederick, MD. We strive to create a home-like atmosphere where you and your loved ones can feel secure. Our warm, well-trained staff works closely with our residents to provide the utmost care and comfort. As part of the Five Star corporation, you can be sure that everyone at Somerford House & Place of Frederick shares the Five Star Values, and is committed to a high level of caring in all that they do. Please schedule a visit to see why we are the first choice in senior care in Frederick, MD.

Map of Somerford House & Place of Frederick