Oakmont of Folsom

1574 Creekside Drive, Folsom, CA, 95630

Reviews of Oakmont of Folsom

February 13, 2016

By Rob V

My dad just moved out of Oakmont in late 2015. Oakmont looks fantastic on the tour. We thought it was the perfect choice. But they vastly failed to live up to our expectations. Here are some of the issues. Staff & Mgt. Turnover - The facility was open less than a year yet they were on their 4th general manager. They were seeking their 3rd manager for the memory care area. This trickles down to every position. It seemed every time I went in there there was a new person caring for my dad, and that person knew nothing of my dad's needs. Pendents - They tout the pendent system, where residents can click a button to call for help. We tested my dad's pendent many times and never got response. One time we clicked it, followed up to find out what happened, and a caregiver told us that the pager goes off so many times from the pendents that there is no way he can respond, so he ignores them. Another time nobody was wearing the pager, and it was sitting in the office buzzing! The whole pendent thing became a joke because based on many test tries we knew nobody responded. Large Corporation - On our tour the salesperson touted the fact that this was not some huge corporation, but instead was a family run business. We found the opposite to be true. Time and time again we asked for services or made suggestions, only to be told that there was a "corporate policy" against it. For instance, we wanted to purchase a bed alarm pager for my dad, so that staff would know when he got out of bed, but corporate policy would not allow it. Lack of Communication - We wrote down and provided care instructions for my dad when he moved in and many times following that. Yet we never met a new employee who knew anything about the care instructions for my dad. We continually were trying to train employees, one at a time. but the high turnover made this impossible for us to keep up with. Poor Memory Care Design - The residents in the memory care area continually head for the large double doors, only to have the alarm sound when they try to open them. Staff ends up spending a large amount of their time chasing down these door alarms. The design is really poor, and it takes away the caregivers from the core area and sends them to the parameters to chase down the door alarms. This means less care for those not pushing the doors. Activity Calendar - When we looked at Oakmont we loved the activity calendar. But when we moved my dad in, we found that many or most of the activities failed to meet our expectations. For instance, "Chair Exercises" was on the calendar. I attended one to find that they gathered the residents in front of the TV and played an exercise video! Nobody was exercising, and no staff were leading it or even encouraging people to participate. The list goes on. The laundry service turns the white clothing into pink clothing, and splashes bleach on the colored clothing. I would come into my dad's room in the middle of the day to find a used adult diaper on the floor. My dad would frequently be out of his room without his glasses on, even though he greatly needs them. Items would disappear from the room and go lost. Ugg, it was always something! All of this is a shame because there are a some employees here who are absolutely fantastic. They try hard. Many are very very kind. But the corporate umbrella and high employee turnover rate over them makes their job really difficult. And the facility is beautiful. It really is a showcase. But, in total, it was not a good place for my dad. It seems like this place has all the potential in the world. But, at least in our case, they really failed to live up to even a minimum level of care for my dad.

November 30, 2015

By Gretchen10

Oakmont was a well-kept facility. The activities seemed great, and the food looked awesome. The staff was wonderful. They would take people out everyday for a walk through a walking program. They had a bird sanctuary inside, which I liked. They offered shared and single rooms.

October 05, 2015

By poor service

While our family member was in the assisted living apartment it was good and he was happy there. When he declined and we moved him to the memory care unit our experience was 180 degrees the opposite. Staff didn't care for him properly, needs were not addressed, and repeated complaints to management brought no results. Thee are no safety pull cords and they don't give residents alert pendants there. They told us they monitor the residents by motion sensors in the rooms, but if your loved one falls and can't get up how is a motion sensor going to help? The facility is very new and fancy but it means nothing if the people don't look after the residents. They didn't change his close or direct him to do so, let him walk around without eye glasses or hearing aides, and dentures. I think they had enough staff to care for the residents but I thought they were not supervised or trained. We were willing to pay the costs here which were higher than other places but could not accept the lack of service. We only lasted 3 weeks in the memory care unit. We have relocated to another facility and all of our expectations are met there with out having to complain or remind.

July 31, 2015

By Jan111134450

Oakmont at Folsom is memory care and assisted living. I saw home care, two homes that they took people in. I liked the room set up, but it is smaller. They had an outdoor walking area which was nice, but again, they didn’t have any openings and it was much more expensive. We were looking for a shared room facility, and the structure in those was kind of nice. It was a little more separated than what we are now. I was being taken through by their marketing person, so I really had no interaction with the staff. The room seemed to be on the outside, which was nice, but the social area was not that large, and it didn’t have a separate dining room. The feel is restrictive. They have daily activities.

Photos of Oakmont of Folsom

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Computer Class

• Staff Patient Ratio: Rcfe

About Oakmont of Folsom

Oakmont of Folsom is a lovely retirement community situated on a lush campus with lovely views, industry renowned dining, and endless on-site amenities. We are also very close to shopping, fine dining, the arts, and world-class entertainment.

If an active lifestyle is what you desire, you’ll feel at home in our retirement community where friends and neighbors enjoy our day spa, private movie theater, resident gardens, and lovely grounds.

If you ever need additional care we offer assisted living and memory care services on the same campus. Experience for yourself what makes this extraordinary senior living community one where life keeps getting better and better.

We have an outstanding restaurant with an award winning culinary program combined with excellent customer service with our 7 day a week chauffeured car service. Bill and Cindy Gallaher have used fine appointments in the community with senior friendly furnishings and traditional d

Map of Oakmont of Folsom