The Carolinian

718 South Dargan St., Florence, SC, 29506

Reviews of The Carolinian

Michael Smith1 September 24, 2012

The Carolinian retirement community was considered for my wife's aging grandfather who lives alone after the lost of his own wife of 60 years. He has been doing rather well handling the single life, but recent medical issues are making it increasingly more difficult. We started looking at area retirement and assisted living communities and found the Carolinian close-by. The apartments were very well designed and there were several different floor plan options to choose from. For one monthly fee they offered all utilities, cable television, housekeeping and linen services and an emergency call out system that would give him an instant connection to help 24/7. Although you hope and pray he'd never need it, it's nice to know it is there. The structures were a little older than I expected and seemed a bit run down. One of the key selling points is that all maintenance is performed by competent staff, yet, we saw several signs of neglect that ultimately caused us to keep looking. I strongly recommend you begin your search long before it is needed. Convincing loved ones that they need the security of a community and that they will have to give up the home and life they have created is difficult. Health can decline rapidly, so it is good to go and visit properties when you aren't pressured to make a fast decision. Other than the few plumbing issues a slight signs of wear-and-tear, the facility was acceptable. They provide two good meals each day along with a breakfast buffet of sorts. The residents we saw seemed very happy, though somewhat distant. The staff was friendly and made us feel welcome. They help schedule transportation for trips to the grocery store, doctor's office, and other errands. The library was a nice touch, but last Christmas we bought Pops a Kindle and he actually prefers e-books. All-in-all I rated this facility a three out of five. It is economical and has many positives, but I personally would not enjoy staying there.

Show 1 More Review Show Fewer Reviews - Write a Review

About The Carolinian

The Carolinian is an assisted living facility in Florence, SC that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact The Carolinian for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Location of The Carolinian