Madrona Park

31200 23rd Avenue South, Federal Way, WA, 98003

Reviews of Madrona Park

ValerieBQJSC May 17, 2016

My relative is in Madrona Park. It is the closest one that I can find. The staff seems to be very friendly and take care of him really well. They have apartments where you bring your own furniture. It has everything you need to keep busy.

Pete Waid May 15, 2016

Very short of help. Dinner tonight there was only one person serving over 30 people.. The food and service has gone down hill fast.

Dear Mr. Wade, I apologize that your experience was less than exceptional. We never want to be short staffed anywhere in the community. I can assure you that you caught us on a bad day and that we are now fully staffed in the dining room. It surprises me to hear that you have not been enjoying the food recently. Our new chef has been getting a lot of compliments. At Madrona Park we strive every day to give our residents, their family, and friends a community to be proud of. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you further on how we can improve. Please feel free to reach me at the community. Sincerely, Bridget Stamper | General Manager

SCMJVNIN May 11, 2016

Madrona Park is not my type but very nice for the price. I could live there. I only talked to the marketing lady, who was very nice. The rooms were average.

Deedee11 March 31, 2016

Madrona Park was wonderful. We saw a one-bedroom with a kitchen and a big walk-in closet. We had a good lunch in the dining area. The staff was really great. There was something going on every day.

Heidi14 November 30, 2015

Madrona was really nice for the assisted living, but I didn’t really care for the dementia unit. It smelled of urine real bad when I was there. The staff was nice. The rooms in the assisted living were really nice, but down in the dementia place, it was more like a jail, and I didn’t like the way it was set up.

Michael115274550 November 16, 2015

Madrona Park was a nice facility. The rooms seemed to be just fine, well maintained, and clean. It’s a little urban for my mother’s taste, but they had a nice outdoor area.

Caring107254550 June 01, 2015

I went to Emeritus, and they were very nice there. It is an older facility and kind of really junked up with all sorts of stuff. But the people that worked there seemed very nice. They introduced us to the dining room people, and they toured us around and had us talk to the nurse. We selected it to visit because they had memory care. They interviewed my brother, and they told us that they thought he could begin at least in the assisted living, but the memory care would be available if he needed it at some later point. However, they would not show us the rooms in memory care. So eventually if that is where he is going to end up, I'm not going to position him anywhere where they won't show us what it looks like. This place is more expensive too. He would have been happy to be there even though it is farther away from where he lives now, but he knows the further away you go, the less chance you have of friends and family visiting. It is mostly a financial choice. The staffs were very sweet. However, they did not want us to leave. You get toured around, and then they wanted us to wait for a nurse to be available to evaluate my brother. They were really putting a hard sell as if we were getting a used car. They wouldn't let us go, so we ended up staying there for like four hours waiting around because the nurse wasn't available. All the people that we met including the nurse were fabulous. I don't know if they are just hard pressed to fill up spaces, but that is not a good situation I got.

Robert107432250 May 23, 2015

Mother has been at Emeritus for two and a half months. This is the third time she has been there. It was a little disheartening in the sense of just seeing the elderly people there that are suffering from dementia. It’s not a very fun place, but it’s a place that’s safe for them.

The staff seemed caring and has been very nice, very pleasant, and accommodating. She’s always clean and bathed, and that is wonderful. They’ve been very responsive; my mom has fallen a couple of times, and they’ve called each time to let me know. They take them outside on a nice day; they have a patio area.

My mom can’t find her glasses. She has closed that book my wife and sisters have brought. We visited on Mother’s Day, and she has somebody else’s clothes on. We have 3 sets of sheets that we brought there, and yet, there are somebody else’s sheets. The mattress was wet, and a little bit of the flooring was wet, but they hadn’t dried the mattress. They just put sheets on over the top of it. Those are the things that you like to see -- just a little extra effort or caring. My father is spending a lot of money in the sense that they can’t be there 24/7 holding my mom’s hand. Perhaps maybe on the rounds, check on her a few more times. That’s why they’re getting paid the money to do that.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us is not full meeting you and your loved one’s expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296 or email us at familyconnection@brookdale.com to discuss your concerns in greater detail.

Caring104589450 April 07, 2015

We visited Emeritus at Steel Lake. This was a really nice facility. We sat down and spoke with three different people that were involved with the memory care unit. We got to see the rooms which were very nice. They were clean and nice. You could bring your own furniture and make it your own. The residents were in their family room talking. It was a really nice facility. The dining room was clean and really nice. The whole facility was modern, clean, and set up really nice. There were a lot of lights, and it was homey. The staff was very informative. They answered a lot of questions for us. We observed some of the residents getting one-on-one with the staff. They were very professional staff.

Jennifer47 January 13, 2015

I really liked the Emeritus at Steel Lake. It was clean, and everybody was cheery. The staff was very nice. They showed us around, and the rooms were very nice. I would recommend this to other seniors who are looking for an assisted living.

Caring85997850 December 03, 2014

I had an hour tour at Emeritus at Steel Lake, and it is a very nice facility from what I saw. Their apartment and their staff were all very nice.

Denise27 October 31, 2014

Emeritus was really nice and clean. The staff and the rooms was very nice too. They have a schedule of activities.

Vera4 September 24, 2014

We liked Emeritus at Steel Lake a lot; they’re providing excellent service to my mother. They have better staffing, better organization where the dining staff actually works only in the dining room not caregivers as well, and they seemed very positive-minded. Mom has a very nice sized room, they do a good job keeping it clean, and they do her laundry for her. They do trips out to the grocery stores and let them go to the mall. They also have activities within the building, they do crosswords together, they have entertainment coming, and it’s very well ran. Mom is much happier here than she was in her last facility.

Caring83043650 April 30, 2014

Emeritus at Steel Lake is a lovely facility. It wasn’t exactly what I thought my mother needed at that time, but it's a beautiful community. It seems to offer very good care. I looked at one room, which was quite nice. That particular room I thought was a little dark because it was a lower level room, but it was very nice. The whole facility was just beautiful, immaculate, and lovely. They have all kinds of activities. They have a lovely outdoor walking area. It was just a very beautiful upscale facility in a nice setting.

Caring81754050 March 26, 2014

Emeritus is a nice place and they had activities. They did exercises, games and probably once a week something special like people come in and sing. They had tea for the ladies last week, and birthday celebrations. They were nice for the most part, but I just didn’t like the current situation. My ex-mother-in-law has memory problems; they moved her down to a different section and she doesn’t belong there. The people there can’t talk, can barely do anything, and she still got a personality and loves socializing. When I’m there, I still take her to the assisted living part and let her eat with the people that actually converse. They lack staff in the lock down area.

Caring79214750 February 28, 2014

Emeritus at Steel Lake had an opening for respite and so we chose this facility for my dad. It's clean and there are a lot of nice activities to do. They have dinners for the guys, bingo, puzzles, and arts and crafts. He got a studio room and so it's not that very spacious, but most of the staff has been pretty good to my dad.

Caring8816 November 27, 2013

Emeritus at Steel Lake is very nice. This facility is much cleaner than the ones that I saw. The staff seemed good.

Caring72148050 October 28, 2013

Emeritus at Steel Lake was okay. I would give them an average rating. It was average in terms of cleanliness and everything. When we went there, we didn't make an appointment, so they didn't know we're coming. The people there were very nice. You can go from independent to memory care. However, they don't have enough rooms, so they'll take the people from one area down to the other. It was like having a regular school and you would take your special ed kids and put them in with the general population; that way they can take care of them too. So they're doing some of that and that was kind of weird. It didn't seem right to me. They didn't have the necessary people to help their residents, so they would bring them over to another place. I think it was misguided information. Also we went there later in the evening and I saw people that were just kind of sitting down in one area. We walked around for a long time, but there was never anybody around.

Maude1 September 19, 2013

Emeritus at Steel Lake is a very good facility. Everything there is wonderful. Their staff is very helpful and very nice. The area, their rooms and dining area, and the activities they have for their residents, I have nothing negative comments on them. I highly recommend this place.

Latitude 20 October 13, 2012

I found this facility to be exceptional for the following reasons:The Woodmark provides three levels of care: 1) Assisted Living in one or two-bedroom apartments with full kitchen and living/dining area; 2) Monarch Memory Assistance for those requiring additional care such as additional security, medication administration and "cuing reminders;" and 3) Memory Care Specialized Personal Attention for residents who require full-time dementia care. The Woodmark also provides temporary respite care.The staff at the Woodmark showed the highest level of caring and compassion for their residents. For example, on the day I visited, they were excited to find that their most confused and disoriented residents were calmed by doing simple chores such as cleaning dishes so they had gone to Wal-Mart to purchase some plastic tableware for the residents to use and clean themselves. The staff also worked tirelessly to make sure the facility was spotless--a patient who had a toileting "accident" in her room was immediately tended to and her carpet and bedding cleaned within minutes.All levels of care are provided on a month-to-month basis with no buy-in or long-term contracts.One of the main benefits of The Woodmark is it allows spouses/partners to continue to live with their loved one at all levels of care.The Woodmark provides a high level of extra amenities such as a private dining room for parties, family room/media center, 24-hour beverage and snack bar, library, fitness center, computer center, activity center including kitchen and game room, billiards room, enclosed courtyard, and beauty/barber salon.Finally, because I live in the neighborhood, I can attest to The Woodmark's efforts to make their residents' feel part of the community. They often take groups on outings to the local park, mall and other community events.

lajek July 30, 2011

My mother has been an assisted living resident resident in this facility for over 16 months. She is comfortable and content. She tells my sister and I she has no complaints. She and her quality of life have improved since moving here. She gets quality care that other family members and I would not be able to exceed and probably not meet. The facility is lovely and the staff caring and compassionate.

four June 24, 2011

I recently visited Emeritus at Steel Lake in WA during a trip. They have a beautiful courtyard and pretty garden. I interviewed some of the residents, and the feedback was all good. No complaints. About a third of every resident I spoke with, all mentioned they are retired. They have a dining room, allow pets, library, and laundry room. They also offer a wide range of activities, with my favorite being shopping trips, very interesting I must say. Expect not to be lonely at Emeritus at Steel Lake. I should also mention that St. Francis Hospital is not too far from this facility. This place is very convenient. I recommend a visit if you are searching for assisted living within Federal Way.

From Madrona Park

Madrona Park offers Assisted Living services, along with Transitional and Comprehensive Memory Care services.

Madrona Park features a nurse onsite 7 days a week, spacious studio, one and two bedroom apartment homes, full-service dining featuring seasonal menus and healthy options, fun and engaging programs, events and activities, scheduled and private transportation and so much more.

If you enjoy strolling around the local neighborhood or just soaking up some sun, Steel Lake and Steel Lake Park are both right in our backyard. The Commons Mall in Federal Way is just a few blocks away and offers all of the shopping you could ever want, including a weekly Farmer’s Market, Target, Movie Theater, and Trader Joe’s!

Features of Madrona Park

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Wii sports competition
  • Activities extra: PrimeFit wellness and fitness program, Fit Brains and Language Learning programs powered by Rosetta Stone and Travel by Leisure Care full service travel agency.

• Private services

• Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $2,700/month

• Staff patient ratio: 1 to 5
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 62

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): 2124