Encore at Turf Valley Assisted Living

Overview of Ratings

4.4

March 16, 2016

By Bob1@

My mother was there back in January and this place was fabulous! The staff is wonderful, friendly and took great care of my mother. I highly recommend this facility!

October 30, 2015

By Jeni K

Encore at Turf Valley is like a cruise ship. It’s very homey and elegant. Everyone that I have been in contact with was very friendly and professional. The residents that I saw seemed happy. The grounds and the dining area were elegant. It’s in a safe and clean neighborhood. They did bingo, Pictionary, music and dancing and singing. They’ve had vendors come in.

July 28, 2015

By Jackie43

Encore at Turf Valley is the closest one to our house. My mother-in-law ate the food, and she said it was really good. She broke her hip and was in there for six weeks. The staff was very caring, and she didn't need for anything. She spent two weeks in assisted living in September, and the room that she had was wonderful. She didn't participate much because it was new to her, but then when she was in with the hip, she wanted to go see music and all kinds of things. She likes to do puzzles, and so she mostly stayed in her room and did puzzles. It was secure. There was somebody right at the door. You can't go in unless you signed in and if you take her out, you had to sign her out. It was really good.

May 28, 2015

By Carolyn88679150

We ended up going to Encore because the price was a little better, and they also have a skilled nursing onsite. It was a beautiful place, and the rooms were very nice. It's new, and they have skilled nursing on site in a separate wing, so if there would ever be a need for skilled nursing, they wouldn't have to leave the facility, and they actually have physical therapy and occupational therapy with therapy rooms and all of the actual equipment on site. They have 24/7 nursing, so that's another thing. That there is always a nurse around the clock should something happen. And my father's primary care physician happens to have some other of her clients that are there, so she kind of visits in an unprofessional way; she visits them through her church, so she'll stop in and see my father when she is visiting people from her church. The staff members are professional, and they care about the residents and desire to do a good job. It's an extremely clean facility, there are no odors, and it is very nice. The staff seems to be oftentimes rushed, so it seems that they might be a little understaffed although he is cared for very well. I know, for example, that in the main dining room, it takes quite a long time to get served. They only have a couple of staff working to bring out the food, and apparently, they got a lot of complaints about that. But, overall, it is a very nice facility, and we've had excellent care for my father. Family can dine with them during any meal, and they can come 24 hours a day if they ever need to; if it is after hours, you are given an access code, so if you wanted for some reason to visit at 3 am, you certainly could. They have all kinds of wonderful activities that family members are welcome to join in -- like I've sat in on several concerts with the,m and it was absolutely fabulous. They've got some really good entertainment -- I was really impressed -- and they've got exercise classes and what not. My father has actually done so much, he has greatly improved both physically and mentally at Encore, and he's only been there since the end of March. He was primarily wheelchair bound, and now he is using a walker and walking. It is really good, and he's got a fairly severe heart condition, which they have to monitor very closely, and they’ve been doing an excellent job, which he hasn't had any problems; he's had no hospitalization, so they are really on top of things.

January 25, 2015

By Eyeswideopen

My mother was in this facility. Nicely decorated, but that does not count. I found out that her medicine had not arrived by staff after 4 days because it comes from Millenium Pharmacy in Gaithersburg , Md. Staff was in attentive in the evenings & few in number. Nurse's station phones went unanswered. An RN is in charge of facility, not a doctor . Dr's seem to be on a contract basis. I saw one young orderly in the evening trying to divide up medicine for far too many rooms in a dimly lit hallway-too much room for error to me. My mother did fall during this stay as well.

November 20, 2014

By PegsPT

My husband following a hip fracture was transferred from HCGH to Encore at Turf Valley for rehab. In the month and half he has been at this facility we have found the meals delicious, room kept spotless, unusual requests/needs immediately made possible and most important the staff have been exceptional. Many of the staff have commented "Encore is a great place to work!", which I am sure is reflected in low turnover. The physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech sessions have been intense and brought him back to his baseline, which was our goal in choosing Encore! We would highly recommend their facility.

November 16, 2014

By Jillmc

WONDERFUL facility!!!! Everyone there is so kind and helpful and took great care of my loved one! Would recommend to anyone!

November 06, 2014

By WAMc

Very busy. Mostly semi-private rooms. Staff stressed. Weekday staff well trained. Weekend staff was part time and did not work well together. Overall was disappointed with quality of care for the cost was self pay at $400 per day. Timely availability and dispensing of medications through Melenium Pharmacy did not work. Hurt / caused unnecessary pain transferring wife to/from wheelchair. Tried to give her food in hospital bed she never eats in bed. Transferred her to wheelchair in morning without dressing or bathing properly put breakfast tray in front of her told her to eat and left her alone. She is prone to choking when eating

October 28, 2014

By lynns3

Allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for the fine care of my mother received during the 3 ½ years she resided at Encore. While no elder facility is entirely perfect and obviously “there’s no place like home”, I was confident that she was being treated well and with respect, which brought peace of mind to myself and her entire family. And the creativity and energy of the Activities staff, as well as the beautiful facility, made living there infinitely more pleasant for her! The entire staff is to be commended for their conduct; however, I feel I need to mention several staff members who stand out as being particularly good during my mother’s final weeks. Pat (day nurse) and Nina (evening/weekend nurse) were highly professional and attentive in their care for my mother, as well as being responsive to any concerns of the family. And Salin and Colleen were truly exceptional in the competent care and personal kindness shown toward my mother during the past several years, but especially at the end of her life. These women provided comfort, both physical and emotional, during a very difficult period and I am eternally grateful to each of them. Please extend my thanks to the administration and staff. I have spoken highly of our experience with Encore to others in the community and shall continue to do so. I am so thankful that Encore was available to my mother following her stroke in 2010-the location and services offered have been ideal. Best wishes for your continued success.

October 17, 2014

By Thomas77

Don't be fooled. The facility is in a nice area and the grounds look nice but the treatment is the concern. My grandmother went there for rehab because of weak legs and they did no fall risk assessment, leaving her unprotected. She fell and broke her hip, blood clots soon developed and surgery was needed. She's now in severe pain and fighting for her life because of Encore. The facility has shown no interest in her condition since she left in an ambulance. I also question why they told my grandmother to defecate on herself during her stay rather than to worknto allow her to use a bedpan. A complete lack of caring contrary to Encore's carefully crafted PR advertisement. Terrible place. Rating should be a 0 but that's not an option.

May 31, 2013

By Jennifer16

I chose Encore at Turf Valley because it was a good distance between my mom and I. I thought the staff were very good and very nice although their inspection control factor were a little lacking. The physical therapist and occupational therapist were really good. It was difficult to get in touch with the physician when we wanted to speak with them. There were lots of activities that mom could do in the rehab, and the facility itself is very nice and clean.

Let Us Search For You

• Golf
    • Features Extra: In House Rehabilitation Department

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Psychiatric Care
    • Nurse On Staff: We Have 24 Hour Nurses.
    • Pharma

• Staff Patient Ratio: 8:1
    • Pets: No Pets Allowed

• Licenses: 13AL0249-B

About Encore at Turf Valley

Encore at Turf Valley Assisted Living community is located in Ellicott City, Maryland. It is the ideal residential solution for those who want a safe, comfortable, and richly stimulating setting designed to meet the many changing needs of our Residents and their Families. New members of our community will be warmly welcomed by our skilled and experienced staff. Rest assured...our attentive and caring Support Staff puts our Residents at center stage for their changing personal and health care needs. That's why we've also Howard County's newest Skilled Nursing Facility in a separate onsite wing so our residents can be separately admitted for a wide range of comprehensive care health services if their needs change. This wing also includes Advantage Rehabilitation Services to meet a wide range of inpatient and outpatient needs.

Encore at Turf Valley is a community which takes great pride in their clinical team. Our main goal is for Residents to remain independent, yet get their medical needs and daily needs met with pride and dignity.

Map of Encore at Turf Valley