The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow

40 Merrick Ave., East Meadow, NY, 11554

Reviews of The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow

July 13, 2016

By LovingDaughter61

When my mother fell and became increasingly isolated, I knew it was time to relocate her from her private home to an assisted living facility and chose The Bristal in East Meadow based on its good reviews and beautiful building. Mom was put on a high level of care plus escorts, but The Bristal did not provide that care. Mom stayed in her room for her entire 7 month stay (except when she was forced to go to meals), often lying in bed alone, confused and in pain. I asked the Bristal's Case Manager, Wellness Director and Recreation Director numerous times about what could be done to help my mother. I was told that "your mother is over 90 and if she wants to lie in her room that's her business, we can't really do anything about that. Your mother is not confused, she's just playing you for sympathy." I became increasingly concerned so tried to discuss Mom's deteriorating condition with the Executive Director only to learn the Director had left and had not been replaced so there was no one to speak with. It all ended badly when my mother was rushed to the hospital alone where she passed away a few days later. The Bristal did NOT email me when Mom was sent to the hospital as per their written instructions. Instead the Wellness Director left me one phone message claiming that Mom had fallen and was getting routine X-rays at the hospital. I rushed to the hospital where I was told by the doctor that Mom had been admitted SEVERELY DEHYDRATED, DELIRIOUS, and in SEVERE STOMACH PAIN. Since Mom was confused and her condition had not been caught soon enough, she passed away from sepsis while I held her hand 2 days later. It is too late for my mom, but I can tell you this: If your loved one is fairly healthy the Bristal is a good choice. But if your loved one becomes ill she may fall through the cracks like my mother did. Think about this when making your choice.

July 10, 2016

At The Bristal in East Meadow, we’re a little disappointed in the activities there. They lost their activity director and we find the activities to be not that engaging. That’s the main issue we’re having. The rooms are fine. I’ve seen nicer and I’ve seen worse, so they’re fine.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sure you're seeing that the recreational program has improved greatly with the new Recreation Director on board. She comes to The Bristal at East Meadow with 8 years of experience. Please let us know what you think!

January 31, 2016

By Irma4

We visited The Bristal. The people seemed nice. The facility was lovely it was being in a hotel. It just wasn’t suitable for my mother-in-law. We saw one room and it was a large studio. I would be adequate for her, if she decided we wanted to go.

January 29, 2016

By Diane117964450

The Bristal was very good, but they told me they couldn’t accommodate mother who need gluten-free food. It was lovely, top of the line, but it was very pricey. They had an indoor patio. The rooms were very nice. The staff really knew the residents there.

August 21, 2015

By Don112105350

The Bristal was a beautiful facility. The rooms were spacious; they were large enough to put in a full-sized bed, a refrigerator, and a TV. I did eat there, and the food was great. They had everything and anything. They even had movie nights, and they offered so many different things that they even had offsite activities and things like that. When I went, they had a group that was going to see the fireworks over at Jones Beach. They had a lot of good stuff there. What I liked most was the cleanliness and their concern for the residents.

June 23, 2015

Everybody was very active. It was clean and friendly, and there was a lot to do. The residents seemed very happy. The Bristal just felt like a nice place to live and easy place to live. They went on a lot of trips. They went out to religious services. Today I was there, they were going into the city to see the Rockettes. They go shopping, and they go to plays and musicals. Their calendar was fuller than a lot of the other places. It was a large facility, which might not be great for everyone, but for someone very active, there was a lot of public space -- which was my favorite thing about it -- and a lot of amenities.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our community on Caring.com. We really appreciate hearing the lovely things you have to say.

February 11, 2015

By Phyllis39

The Bristal is very well run. I thought it was a nice place for people to live and have activities. The rooms were nice. They weren't terribly large, but that is not the purpose. They have a place to eat and a bathroom, and I think some have a kitchen. They did have activities there. I felt the security is good. I don't know anybody who has gotten lost or that kind of thing. I would recommend this place to others if they are rich. They are very expensive. You could probably get home care instead which is what this other woman chose to do because the cost was prohibitive to her.

July 22, 2014

By cknox

The Bristal staff was excellent: very accommodating and very informative. The place was up to date, and it seemed to be fully amenitized, so no complaints. The Bristal was certainly one of the properties that we highly considered in terms of the properties that we looked at. I thought that this facility was a fine facility. If my mother had chosen to live there, it would've been a good choice, I would think.

July 03, 2014

By Lisa73838150

I think the place is excellent! The rooms were spacious and nice. The food is also excellent. I spoke with the activities director and they offer so many activities. They schedule trips very often. They have workers all over so the place is very safe. Somebody is always at the front door.

August 15, 2013

By Ellen12

Bristal at East Meadow is an old facility. Nevertheless, it is wonderful and pretty. It is also clean and well kept. Their onsite staffers and food aren't that great; however, my parents are safe and comfortable there. They have a nice but expensive two-bedroom apartment. My parents have been there for five and a half weeks now and so far so good.

March 08, 2013

By caring0301313

My husband toured The Bristal Assisted Living with his mother. He was very happy with everything. He thought everybody was friendly.

November 17, 2012

By caring11072

I am very satisfied with The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow. It is very clean and the staff is very nice, kind and very gentle. But I wish they had staff that speak Korean to properly assist my mother.

July 24, 2012

By rjc913

The Bristol at East Meadow is an upscale assisted living home. The price to live there is very costly although I think it is worth every penny. The service and care provided by the RN's and staff is amazing, and the atmosphere of the facility is very upscale and rich.

June 24, 2012

By Gordon Chance

A good facility consisting of impressive amenities for elders. The staff is indeed very helpful. They are responsive to any concerns that you may have and are happy to be of assistance, smiling and gracious. My grandmother's room has a lovely view from her window and she is happy there. There is a very positive energy to the facility and it is well-maintained and seems very hygienic and up to date. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an Assisted Living facility in the Long Island area. There is also lots of space for the residents to walk around and exercise. Sometimes it feels less like a facility and more like a home or large house. The programming and events are designed to get the residents to interact with each other and have a good time, too. Compared to other facilities that I've visited, this one is my favorite by far.

April 13, 2012

By EM1981

A beautiful facility with lots of fun activities for the residents to engage in. The staff is exceptional and dedicated to the work they do. They are responsive to any concerns that you may have and are happy to be of assistance, smiling and gracious. My grandmother's room has a lovely view from her window and she is happy there. There is a very positive energy to the facility and it is well-maintained. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an Assisted Living facility in the Long Island area. There is also lots of space for the residents to walk around and exercise. Sometimes it feels less like a facility and more like a home or large house. The programming and events are designed to get the residents to interact with each other and have a good time, too. Compared to other facilities that I've visited, this one is my favorite by far.

February 24, 2012

By GoBigBlue

The Bristol is a beautiful facility, with the amenities and activities to keep residents busy. The main foyer is a place where residents can often be found socializing, playing bridge, or simply relaxing. The food served looks and smells appealing, I have not heard a complaint. The Bristol also organizes day trips for residents, including recreational and cultural excursions.The Bristol is located near Eisenhower Park, which is home to three championship golf courses, an Olympic sized swimming pool, and plenty of fields, bike and running paths. There are a few restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the facility that offer great food.The staff at the Bristol is pleasant and caring. They do their best to make sure the residents are happy and taken care of.The Bristol's residents seem to be mostly female, and at times my grandfather has expressed a wish that their were more men around the facility to spend time with. The Bristol is also pricey, considerably more so than an average apartment in the area.

January 28, 2012

By iannetpj

The building is very nice and is kept, the grounds are beautiful and is in a very nice area. However my relative was complaining about her items being stolen by the staff. At first we thought she was lying or delusional, but upon further investigation we discovered many of her affects where missing.

November 29, 2011

By Pat F

I was searching for a facility for my mom and the Bristal at East Meadow was the 8th facility we toured. All prior facilities were depressing to me and couldn't imagine my mom there. The Bristal had beautiful decor, very clean, staff very nice, but most important every resident I spoke with told me how happy they were living there and how well they were taken care of. We have since put a deposit and awaiting an apartment.

November 22, 2011

By NCofChambers

The Bristal of East Meadow has been very helpful and supportive of our organization for many years. Their facility is impeccable and their staff most congenial and responsive. The Nassau Council of Chambers of Commerce

November 19, 2011

By JackPot

Twice I visited The Bristal at EM & I fell in love with the place. I never saw anyone in wheelchairs and resident's using walkers were off to an activity. This place is beautiful not only because of the way it is decorated and ever so clean, but more importantly, the staff I met with was warm & loving! The residents were engaged in various activities and any question I asked, was answered to my satisfaction. I looked at umerous places, but I am set on The Bristal.

July 26, 2011

By Garito

I looked at the Bristal as an assisted living place for my father who is getting on in years. It has kind of an apartment building look on the exterior but is definitely more comfortable once you get inside. I noticed that too many of the residents sat by themselves in their wheelchairs and were not engaged in any social activity which kind of bothered me. I also saw a staff member talking on his cell-phone and he seemed more interested in his conversation than the resident he should have been attending to. I might think twice before placing my father here.

Photos of The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow

Features of The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow

• Pharma

• State Licenses: 400-S-299 EH

About The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow

The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow is dedicated to enhancing the lives of seniors by encouraging them to enjoy and express their independence in a luxurious setting. We boast gourmet dining, beautiful surroundings, weekly laundry and housekeeping services, cablevision and scheduled transportation to shopping, community activities and group outings.

At The Bristal, individuals will find that help is always available, if needed, for personal care, medication management, meals, housekeeping, laundry, recreation and 24-hour per day supervision with our high staff-to-resident ratio, compassionate, and expertly-trained staff. Residents have a choice of studios, one and two bedroom apartments, replete with roomy kitchens and generous bathrooms. In addition, each Bristal houses a special area call Reflections for those adults who have early to mid-stage Alzheimer's and other memory related cognitive disorders.

The Bristal at East Meadow couldn't be more centrally or conveniently located. This site is literally "right there" . . .smack in the heart of it all! It's a stone's throw away from Roosevelt Field Mall and Eisenhower Park is right across the street. Not to mention neighbors like Hofstra University and Nassau Coliseum. North and south beaches are a short drive away, and Queens and Manhattan are quickly accessible.

Map of The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow