Maplewood at Danbury

22 Hospital Avenue, Danbury, CT, 06810

Reviews of Maplewood at Danbury

Caring106655550 May 16, 2015

My mom is at Maplewood in Danbury, and the facility is beautiful. The activities are packed for all different levels. The food is amazing, and the people are really caring. I picked it because they have very high ratio of staff to residents. I didn't want my mom to be overwhelmed in a new place she can't navigate, and it has worked out perfectly. Because of the small size, they get a lot of individual attention. They get to know the other residents and the staff and vice versa rather quickly. It has memory care, and they have different levels like a continuing care community. If my mom's Dementia progresses even to full Alzheimer's, the place runs the complete gamut so she doesn't have to be moved.

Thank you so much for your recent review. We are happy that you are pleased with our community, and most importantly our wonderful staff of associates. Please feel free to reach out to us at any time to provide us with your continued feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our resident and family experience. Thank you again for your comments.

Caring103122950 March 14, 2015

Maplewood is a relatively new place, and everything there is also first-class. It is in a more urban setting, and it is also quite expensive. I imagine the staff is good. Parking is good. I'd recommend Maplewood.

Caring106554850 February 23, 2015

Maplewood at Danbury was clean, and everybody was lovely, but it was more expensive than where we are at right now. The residents seemed to be happy, and everything else was beautiful.

Caring100343750 January 13, 2015

Maplewood at Danbury is very good. I liked the place because of the location and the décor. The location is right across the hospital and overlooks the cemetery. They have a garden, but it was not a big one. I was invited to eat here, and the food was good. I noticed when I visited that the residents are very active. There a lots of arts and crafts. It’s a nice facility, but it's out of our price range.

lyssaszoo January 30, 2014

The memory care unit (secured on the second floor) has recently been renovated, and I'm told plans are in place to completely renovate the entire facility this year. Clearly managed by an experienced team, the entire facility is extremely clean and the renovations are upscale/modern without feeling too fussy. There's a lovely sunroom on the main level that's filled to the brim with beautiful, healthy plants, where residents and guests can sit and enjoy company, or even just the peace and quiet. I didn't see anyone just sitting in front of a TV during my visit (usually an issue in memory care facilities I've seen). The rooms/apartments themselves were relatively spacious with good-sized closets and modern bathrooms, though the showers were fairly small and the views aren't great (e.g., power lines, cemetery - though trees should obscure the view in warmer months). We toured primarily the secured "Currents" floor (moderate-to-late stage dementia) and were extremely impressed by the connection staff seemed to have with the residents (e.g., greeting each other by first name, lots of smiles and affection, hugs during the shift change). The facility allows someone to age in place - so barring any extreme nursing requirements, residents would not have to move into a skilled nursing facility. Residents appeared to be extremely engaged (on various levels) with personalized activities - they have monthly meetings to provide input on a variety of topics; there was a visiting pet for therapy, word games, tactile therapy for those with more advanced dementia, etc. Even with multiple activities happening, it didn't feel too busy or potentially overwhelming for a dementia resident. By reputation, the farm-to-table food is amazing...and they sent us home with a homemade apple pie made by the resident chef (which was delicious!). They also pride themselves on having an RN onsite 24/7, and a "brain center" where residents work with computers that have special programs for cognitively impaired residents. The only potential downside I could see, other than the views, is the fact that it's in a fairly congested area so the outdoor space might be noisy. Parking is tight, but they do have a parking lot and you can call ahead to let them know you're coming and they'll reserve a space for you - also, they just secured additional parking for staff in a separate area, leaving more space for residents/visitors. Overall, the community felt incredibly welcoming and personalized - I would have no concerns about my mom living here. It's definitely on our short list.

Thank you so much for your feedback and your review! We are always interested in hearing what our guests have to say about us. Maplewood at Danbury is proud to offer a small, in-like environment for those needing extra help in their day to day living. Although we are located in Danbury, very close to the hospital for extra peace of mind, we do have outdoor seating areas for residents to enjoy the beautiful gardens, waterfall and walking paths. And you are right to indicate that we have new parking for ample space for our visitors, families, guests and associates! Thank you for taking the time to visit Maplewood and for offering us your detailed review. Please call on us to answer any further questions.

Ron16 December 24, 2013

I spoke to a very knowledgeable and courteous individual over at Maplewood who knew a lot about assisted living. The place seemed to be very nice. The common areas were very nice as well. But it was in a very congested area and was right near the hospital. So parking was somewhat difficult. There was also lot of noise there. That kind of things turned me off.

Anne16 April 14, 2013

Maplewood was nice. The staff was great, and they took a lot of time and explained everything to us during the tour. I thought the place was very clean and attractive.

crazygirl04050505 September 19, 2012

My father was diagnosed with Liver cancer 4 years ago. He went through chemo and rediation treatments for over a year. But was to much so he started to drink himself to death. One night he was walking up the stairs and fell back and broke his shoulder. He was sent to Mapplewood at Danbury to recover. While there the Nurses were very good to him and treated him great. After a week of being there the doctors told us that he was not going to make it that the cancer was taking over. So we decided to have him stay there. The nurses took such good care of him for the next month. They washed him and fed him. They dealt with his yelling and screaming at them. They were such angels.

From Maplewood at Danbury

Located adjacent to Danbury Hospital, Maplewood offers three distinctive Assisted Living & Memory care programs to meet the individual needs of our residents.

Innovative and forward thinking, our enhanced healthy living programs enable our residents the ability to improve their mind, body and soul through our "Vitality Programs". Our philosophy of healthy living is incorporated through our music, massage, aromatherapy, exercise and holistic programs. We know our residents want to eat fresh not processed foods so our chef prepares healthy home-made meals using only the freshest ingredients. We use locally grown fresh produce and herbs from our own organic garden, always the freshest seafood, meats, and select seasonal foods. Maplewood is proud to offer our residents this wonderful dining experience.

As part of Maplewood's ongoing efforts we continue to forge relationships not only on a local, but national level to enhance our range of services and continue to provide the highest quality of care for the residents in our community. As part of our "partners in care" program we collectively work with the CT Alzheimer's Association, Agency on Aging, Veterans Administration and Wells Fargo Bank. Additionally, through our "neighbors in care" program Maplewood also utilizes Danbury Hospital's many services such as on-site physician's visits, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Visiting Nurses & Hospice services.

Experience first hand the difference of Maplewood at Danbury!

Features of Maplewood at Danbury

• Technology extra: 24 hour emergency call system

• 24 hour nurses: Yes

• Features extra: Fitness Center

• Dining extra: Private dining room for special occasions

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Activities extra: Touch of Heart™ Brain Fitness Center

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

Nurses

• Nurses extra: On-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Minimum memory care rate: $5,950/month