Caruth Haven Court

5585 Caruth Haven Lane, Dallas, TX, 75225

Reviews of Caruth Haven Court

TRC August 28, 2012

The staff seemed friendly enough, though they could also have been a bit more helpful. It is not possible to see how they are when they are not being observed. The grounds are very well kept and create an altogether pleasing environment. It would be easy to see myself retiring here. This is a very upscale establishment. It is clear that they try to keep their residents engaged in a variety of activities. This is very nice, because even as seniors, the need for community and friendship is a major factor in day-to-day living. I believe that this is one of the best parts of the facility. I was not present for a meal, but from what I have been told, the food served at the home is generally of the best quality. The restaurant qualities offer much different options than other retirement homes have, and I think this is for the best. If there were only one meal served, it would be too much like a hospital.

Caring6762 August 14, 2012

I was looking for a facility for my uncle. I think he really needs a better place. Where he is living now is not suitable for him and is not presentable. Caruth Haven is a great facility. My interaction with the staff during my visit was very informative. They really seemed knowledgeable about a lot of things. It's a bit pricey, but really nice. I mean, I really like this facility for him but he keeps pushing the idea away.

leyash May 31, 2012

My grandparents liked this living facility for the most part. They really enjoyed the amenities that they had, but did not like the lack of privacy. My grandfather was complaining often that people were checking on him constantly. He also did not like the fact that people were allowed to come into his place when they wanted. My grandmother enjoyed the views, and the free time that she had. I was there often, and I liked that we were left alone most of the time that I was there. It's nice to know that when I wasn't there, that there were people to check on them, to make sure they had what they needed. Traffic around the place was kind of rough at times, but this was not under the facility's control. The food was decent, and the providers were always there to help with anything that was needed by the tenants. It was affordable most of the time, and it was definitely a place that I think my grandmother would go back to.

1892140 October 14, 2011

Caruth Haven is a great assisted living facility located in Dallas, Texas. My grandmother lived there for several years. I went on the initial tour of the facility with my family, and visited my grandmother several times. They have great activities for seniors (one time when I visited they had an ice cream social and bridge game), and the living quarters are spacious and clean. This facility encourages seniors to socialize and be more independent in a safe environment. They even send the seniors on outings to the movies or to the mall, and provide transportation for them. The food is pretty good and it's nice to know that they take good care of their patrons. The caretakers are friendly and quick to help with anything the resident may need. They are well-trained and educated. To top it all off, it's in a safe location and looks like a luxury apartment building from the outside! This is a great assisted living facility.

Kay Paggi April 27, 2011

As a geriatric care manager, I often refer clients to Caruth Haven Court.

PROS:

There are many good things about this assisted living community, located near Northpark Mall in the heart of Dallas. It's easily accessible but located on a quiet residential street, with little traffic. The building is tastefully decorated, extremely well maintained and landscaped. There's a fountain, flowers that are in bloom, and a porch with wicker furniture in the front of the building. Fresh flowers are always at the reception desk, on the dining tables, and in the bathroom. The halls are wide, there's a lovely seating area with book lined shelves and a fireplace in the entrance, and there's a large area for activities and discussion groups with a grand piano across from the dining area. The food is too good; everyone gains weight after moving in. There's one aide per hall, and the aides get to know the routines and preferences of their residents very well. Care is personalized; those who need extra assistance can get it, and those who want to be independent, are.

There's one full time nurse and another LVN in the building most of the time, and med aides present all night and on weekends. I've alerted the staff on a several occasions that a resident is having a minor procedure, and someone checks on her or makes sure a prescription is ordered in time. Everyone on the staff is helpful. I can call ahead and ask for a client to be reminded of an appointment and an aide will find the resident to be sure she's dressed and ready to go. Transportation to appointments is available. The community has a limo and a van that's wheelchair accessible. Residents go to a nice restaurant monthly, out to a movie once a month, and to the State Fair and on other outings to special events. There are several family nights every year, with entertainment or well-known speakers. These are very well attended, and popular with residents and their families.

The 3-story building has several differing floor plans; all of them have bathrooms with adequate space for a wheelchair or walker. The units on the 3rd floor are usually kept for residents who need more attention, and there's a separate dining area and activity area for them. There's a chapel and a beauty parlor, as well as a game room. There's a gazebo in the back yard, and a screened-in porch.

CONS:

There are few drawback to this community. One is the price; it competes with the highest, most expensive communities, and levels of care are added as the residents' need for attention increases. The other is the activities, or lack of them. There's a daily tea party every the afternoon, complete with punch bowl. While there is live entertainment once or twice a week, the activity staff makes little effort to create activities that engage the time, interest, and attention of the residents.

For families that can afford it, this is almost an ideal community.

Kay Paggi, GCM, LPC, CGC, MA, is in private practice as a geriatric care manager and is on the advisory board for the Emeritus Program at Richland College. She has worked with seniors for nearly 20 years as a licensed professional counselor, certified gerontological counselor, and certified geriatric care manager.

Kay Paggi

From Caruth Haven Court

Caruth Haven Court has been an integral part of Park Cities life for the past 15 years. With 91 total apartments, it is small and intimate; a place where Resdients feel like home and that they are living with family. The food is exceptional. Most of our employees have been with us for years. Managed by 12 Oaks Senior Living, which is owned by a local Dallas family. There is a nurse on site 7 days a week during regular business hours and they are on call 24 hours a day.

Caruth Haven Court is small and intimate, located in the Park Cities on Caruth Haven Lane at Central Expressway. It is warm and inviting and feels like "family". Our dining and care are exceptional.

Features of Caruth Haven Court

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft

• Minimum memory care rate: $4,638/month

• Staff patient ratio: 7-1; fluctuates with Resident acuity

• Licenses: Assisted Living and Alzheimer's
  • State License(s): 030302

• Financial guidance extra: We help people to understand their Long Term Care insurance
  • We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Affiliations

• Affiliations extra: Non-denominational service and Catholic communion

• Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

Location of Caruth Haven Court