Sunrise of Columbia

6500 Freetown Road, Columbia, MD, 21044

Reviews of Sunrise of Columbia

Lilburn October 28, 2015

My first impression of Sunrise of Columbia was that it was well-maintained and attractive. It looked like a pleasant place. My room is OK. It is adequate. The food is good; but it is not as fat-free as I would like it. It seems to have a little more fat in it than I really care for. The dining room is very spacious. It is also pleasant and clean. They have a lot of activities. They go out to different restaurants for lunch. They also take them out on the country ride. There are activities here in the building where they bring in entertainers, and they have exercise programs.

Anonymous113791150 September 29, 2015

We did not think that the physical therapy department at Sunrise of Columbia was quite up to what the other facility had offered. I would still give them a 5-star rating. They were excellent. I do not think they would not provide what people need. It was just that our emphasis was on socialization and physical therapy. Other patients or residents who do not have that emphasis would be very happy there.

Carolyn88679150 June 01, 2015

We really liked Sunrise a lot because the people were super friendly and attentive to the residents. I thought the layout of the facility was well set up for the residents. Here's the thing that I really liked with this -- they stress with the residents that if they needed anything for them to press their attendant call button, and those are the reasons that we really liked them. They bring in entertainment from the outside, and they have musical things and what have you. I believe they bring in pets like therapy animals and what not. I know that they have physical therapy and occupational therapy that will actually come there to the facility to work with the residents. They've got games and activities, and they may have exercise classes and stuff like that. I also know that they take them on trips outside to various restaurants and points of interest. The only reason why we didn't go with Sunrise was the price. What really impressed me about them was that everyone associated with the Sunrise facility really seems to enjoy what they are doing, and they enjoy helping the residents.

Caring106647750 May 16, 2015

We visited Sunrise of Columbia, and we were very pleased with the facility. The staff was wonderful, and we saw the staff interacting with the residents. They seemed to have a good ratio of staff to residents. We were pleased with the activities that they offered and the kind of a homey feel to Sunrise.

Laurie34 April 22, 2015

My visit at Sunrise of Columbia was wonderful. They were all very courteous and very kind. They gave me a lot of information. They allowed me to tour the facility and speak directly to the caregivers and staff. The sales manager was outstanding. Everything was completely fine. It's just too expensive. We would have two parents, and the total cost for both of them per month would have been $11,000 or more. We can't pay that.

I didn't believe the response time for the caregiver. They said it would be between 5 and 12 minutes. I don't see how that can be possibly true, especially if your accommodations were at the end of a very long hallway. The hallways there were very long. If those caregivers are engaged somewhere else, it is not possible for them to respond in 5 to 12 minutes. That claim was not realistic.

It was a lovely facility with lovely people and a lovely program. I just think it was not adequate for what we needed and too expensive for what we could afford.

Caring103652850 March 20, 2015

I had high expectations with Sunrise of Columbia. It is an upscale facility, and it's expensive. But I really did not feel looking at the rooms as if that was completely justified. I wasn’t as impressed by the man who talked to us. I don’t know; it was just the feeling I got about the place. I just felt like he wasn’t maybe as tuned in to what I was looking for as the woman at the other facility I went to. Their dining room looked impressive, but I didn’t eat there.

I only saw the rooms once, and I didn’t feel that it was significantly superior to the other facility to warrant the amount of extra money that they were charging. I also didn’t get the same explanation as to the ability to move care levels and the medical staff that was available to the people. Maybe he didn’t explain it or I didn’t answer her questions, but I would say it was more evident.

Albert4 October 04, 2013

Sunrise was very nice. I liked the fact that they were up to date and very comfortable for people to live in.

Surfnswimm March 29, 2012

This is a beautiful assisted living facility right in the heart of Columbia, Maryland. My grandmother began staying at the facility 10 months ago, and I have not seen her this happy in a very long time. Suffering from alzheimer's, it is beneficial to her to have a full time trained staff, around the clock. She attends daily activities with her peers and enjoys the amount of care she is given. The staff there even does her laundry once a week! I always remember her being a fairly picky eater; however, she always talks about the amount of options there are when it comes to dining. Receives three meals a day and sometimes decides to snack on other items! I live close to the area so it is beneficial for me to be able to visit her frequently. The facility has no visiting hours, but only because you can visit whenever you'd like! Great for my hectic schedule. Overall, I give this facility a 100 percent.

From Sunrise of Columbia

Just minutes from I-95, Howard County General Hospital and the Mall in Columbia, Sunrise of Columbia is nestled in a quiet, residential neighborhood between the Atholton High School athletic fields and the Hickory Ridge Village Center. We pride ourselves in our elegant, warm, home-like environment.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can?t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you?ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Our community is best described as warm, cozy and homelike. We are minutes from all major highways in the area as well as the local hospital. Our community is full of tenured staff as well as incredible residents. We all believe in the joy of every day!!!

Features of Sunrise of Columbia

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Tai chi

• Private services

• Pets: All pets allowed
  • Staff patient ratio: 1 to 10
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: None

• Licenses: Level 3
  • State License(s): 13AL0221-G

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Sunrise of Columbia