Villa Bonita Senior Living

Overview of Ratings

3.9

January 31, 2016

By Beth118866450

Villa Bonita Senior Living was very good. This facilty is our favorite among all that we have visited. They have all kinds of activities. They have a fitness center, a computer center, a pool, a bistro, a library, and a beauty salon. They prepare fresh meals, three times a day. They have a nice courtyard. They have housekeeping and laundry service available. The staff is wonderful. The rooms were nice. I would definitely recommend this facility because I felt so comfortable here and I know other people will be too.

January 24, 2016

By A friend3

My friend had been in Villa Bonita. When we visited there it was very open and very welcoming. Unfortunately, we run into some problems. She was sharing a room at first but it weren’t working out. It’s a fairly large community. I ate there every day for a week and I don’t have any problems with the food. The people living there appeared to be more of a dollar sign than individuals that should be cherished because of their age.

December 29, 2015

By Harry26

Villa Bonita Senior Living was the worst of the bunch. It was the only place that I said my mother could absolutely not go. They’re very standoffish and do not check on the people in assisted living. I smelled urine. The facility was not clean or well maintained. They have so many residents that they have shifts in the dining room, and one of the shifts is so early that people are eating dinner at 3 p.m. It was so big that you wouldn’t have a clue where to even find the director of the place.

November 23, 2014

By Banasplit5

My mother has been living at this facility since August. It's been a nightmare. Initially I went on a guided tour of the facility with the Assistant Marketing Director. I told her that my mother is legally blind and is 87 years old and has certain needs so it is very important that she be able to shop on a weekly basis. She told me that shopping was done every Wednesday. However, she neglected to tell me that they did not go grocery shopping every week. For instance they may go to a 99 cent store instead and that they can only take 7 people per trip in a community that houses far more than seven people. The next step was bringing my mom down to go through a tour herself. The woman that drives the van is very nice but sometimes she has to cut the shopping short from the one hour allotment which is really about a half an hour for my mom since she needs someone to help her. Unfortunately if you can only shop at best every two weeks (if your quick enough to be one of the first seven to sign up) she doesn't have enough time to pick up everything she needs. And at 87 years old there are certain things that she runs out of quickly. Next my mom was verbally assaulted by a maid who exclaimed "Your room is filthy...your bathroom is filthy, I'm going to go get someone neutral and show them.) Which she did. She went next door and told her neighbor to come over and see how filthy her place was. The woman of course was embarrassed by that request and stayed in her room. The room was not filthy but the bathroom floor was wet because my mother had a broken toilet that would not flush correctly so the maintenance person used a plunger but got water on the floor and didn't clean it up! Since my mother couldn't see it she was unaware. From then she has had several items stolen from her room. I have tried to contact the director but she will not return my phone calls or follow up on a request that my mother had made over a month ago which is unfortunately par for the course for her. When you move in you are given a pendant to wear around your neck to push in an emergency. There have been times when it has taken over an hour for someone to respond to my mother and others. Sometimes there is no response at all. About a week ago a woman had a medical emergency where she was virtually paralyzed and could not speak. She pressed the button on her pendant over and over, nobody came for an hour and fifteen minutes. When she confronted the director she said "...you can't expect us to be like a hospital.." That woman also learned that the person on duty to respond to emergencies was on a break. She also learned that there was no log from shift to shift. Something so critical in a place like Plaza Bonita just isn't done. The pendant is a selling point they use and you are paying for that service. One more thing. Generations is where the people who have disorders like dementia and others live. A gentleman who I know whose memory is virtually gone and is unfortunately unable to function was able to walk out of a locked ward and make his was to the front of the lobby where he could have wandered outside and did who knows what. This place has problems. Don't trust the lives of your loved ones to Plaza Bonita.

October 18, 2014

We had my mother in the memory care unit of Villa Bonita for about 3 months. In general, it was good. In retrospect, my mom needed more care than they could provide. She had a private room -- which we wanted -- but they had maybe 15 patients and only had like 2 people to help them. So, I felt that she had too much time where she was unassisted. I just thought she needed more individual attention than she received. She was happy with the food. It was prepared well, and they all ate together in a communal dining area. They had a lot of activities. Even though most of them were wheelchair bound, they would still have them do physical exercises, games, memory games, and music.

September 30, 2014

By Dorothy93581750

Villa Bonita Senior Living is really nice and very clean. The staff is very friendly and I would love to have my father go there. I like that their area is more accessible because they have grocery stores nearby and a veterinary hospital next door. I like the layout of the rooms. I like the way that you could have a shared room. They have a couple of meeting rooms and their courtyard seems very pretty.

November 27, 2013

By alabamee mammy

I Had to find a nice place for my 91 year old Mother. I live in Alabama so with no other relatives around the San Diego area where she has lived for 26 years alone..she now needed help. She loves the place and the food. The staff members really care about her needs and make her feel welcome . She said that she feels better being in a smaller facility where she knows everyone like family. Kudos to the entire staff for making my Mother happy again.

September 19, 2013

By John66292350

My mom is now in Villa Bonita. It is the easiest to get to from my sister's house and it seems to be the best one for my mom. It is a very nice facility. They have a courtyard in the middle, like a little park, that residents can go out to. They can sit there on benches, but they still couldn't go out and go anywhere because it is a secure facility. My mom has a spacious room that has a bedroom, a bathroom, a little kitchen, and a little patio outside. I saw a lot of indoor activities for them, which is good because my mom is 92 and couldn't do much outdoor activities. This place is also a pet-friendly community. Mom is really happy about that. She would pet the owners' dogs that stay there. In fact, that is the very best thing for her being there.

February 15, 2013

By Jill4

Villa Bonita is close to our house. Everybody seems really nice and my dad doesn't seem to have any complaints. The staff is always friendly when they come in. I've talked to other residents who have been there for years and they all seem to be very happy there. They have a big courtyard in the center of the facility with vegetable garden, a flower garden, and sitting area for everybody. My dad loves the food. They have a chef that's really good. We got him a studio apartment which is quite large. It's got room enough for a queen-size bed, sofa, big dresser, big TV, and a walk-in shower. It's got balcony, so he can stay outside for a while. He also loves the activities that they do.

November 07, 2012

By mr. leon

My grandmother is somewhat reserved in her old age and is having problems with dementia. The assisted living facility is very open to helping her with her problems and provides a great place for her to be. The times I have visited, the upkeep of the area was superb and the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. There is a courtyard which provides a great area for the residents to hang out and take small walks opposed to just walking around the hall. The food service area is great as well. The chef is friendly and the food served is better than cafeteria food. They also have birthday dinners and themed parties throughout the year which provide the residents with events and what not. The staff is great and the overall experience that i had with the place is very positive

December 07, 2011

By camamu24

My great-aunt lived in this facility before she passed away. We had looked into many different facilities but Monarch Villa Bonita was more affordable than others in the area. She rented a small single room with a kitchenette and was allowed all of her personal belongings and furniture. I remember this facility and its rooms feeling more home-like than others she had lived in before. Everything space was nicely decorated and inviting. The caregivers at Monarch Villa Bonita offered daily assistance and personal services such as bathing, dressing, and laundry. In my experience all of the staff were very attentive and helpful. They were also quick to respond in emergency situations no matter what time of day or night. The facility also had a nice garden for the residents, as well as daily activities and functions. During the holidays the facility was nicely decorated and held special dinners for the residents that included the family members and friends. Overall, we had a positive experience at this facility.

Photos of Villa Bonita Senior Living

• Minimum Age: 65+
  • Pets: All Pets Allowed

• Licenses: Lic # 374602907

About Villa Bonita Senior Living

Villa Bonita Senior Living is conveniently located off the 805 freeway on the border of Chula Vista and Bonita; CA. Located only 7 minutes from Downtown San Diego, Villa Bonita is a lovely community with great residents, staff, activities, food and much more. Villa Bonita offers independent and assisted living as well as a dedicated memory care community for our residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. At Villa Bonita Senior Living, life happens according to plan – a comfortable, dynamic, detail-oriented plan. Daily activity is the result of proven practices, systems, standards and an organization that has been refined by experience. You’ll notice the calming structure that comes from master planning with your very first visit. Similar to the motivation of our residents, we strive for balance: activity is balanced with quiet spots, fine dining with casual flair, full-service programs with a la carte freedom. At Villa Bonita, our residents do what makes them happy and vital. Life at Villa Bonita is defined by what you do and living life to its fullest.

A large community for your own privacy but still small enough to be considered like a family. Caring staff, working from the heart!

Map of Villa Bonita Senior Living