Sunrise of Bonita

3302 Bonita Road, Chula Vista, CA, 91910

Reviews of Sunrise of Bonita

Amazing people August 26, 2015

I moved my mother in law in a couple days ago and the staff is spectacular. They really made the transition easy and seamless. Michelle, Dan, and Liz were so helpful through this whole process. They guided my husband and I in the right direction and helped every step of the way. I feel very secure and safe in knowing she is adjusting better than expected.

My parents lived at Sunrise June 08, 2015

My father lived at Sunrise facility for a little over one year. Prior to moving my dad in, the family confirmed with Sunrise Intake Worker, Michelle that they would be able to take care of my dad’s urinary catheter care. They said they were equipped to do so and that the employees were trained to take care of residents with catheter care. Well, my dad had numerous infections while at this facility. Unfortunately from my observation the help there was not properly trained on urinary catheter care. My dad ultimately died from a severe urinary tract infection that shut down his kidneys. When he was transported to the hospital he had a fever of 104 degrees and low blood pressure. In addition, he did not have normal behavior per staff. All red flags for staff! This turn of events was very unfortunate and an obvious sign that staff is not trained or qualified to do routine assessments when patients are acting out of character or present with other symptoms. As for my Mom, she came to this facility and was there for approximately one month. She had her own private medical providers and we told this to Michelle. However, somehow a visiting Physicians Assistant came to the facility and did an evaluation and prescribed her medications. First of all, he was not authorized to see her because she had her own private doctors. And we indicated all of this information on the intake process. Second, he prescribed her medication without the authority to do so. This medication made her dizzy and I am sure without a doubt that it was a contributing factor in her fall that led to her broken hip and subsequent death.
I only share these two events with those of you that are looking for an assisted living facility for your parents or loved ones. I could go on and on. But, I have selected the most relevant events to share and both are medically related. Incidentally, I believe they have 1 RN and 2 med-techs on staff for the assisted living section. None of the staff that does the day to day care have any medical training or medical credentials to qualify them to evaluate a residents physical or mental health.
I hope you will consider these events in the evaluation of Sunrise of Bonita, Chula Vista. Look beyond the decor and you will discover that Sunrise is understaffed, has a high attrition rate for their employees, and caregivers lack the training they need to identify health care needs. Last, I wish to praise two staff caregivers that went above and beyond their job description: Elsa and Azima.

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Tim30 May 28, 2015

Sunrise of Bonita is a very nice place. It was clean, and people were friendly. They looked after my in-laws alright. They didn’t seem to have interesting activities, but I don’t have anything negative to say about them.

LeslieW April 20, 2015

We chose this facility for my father in law. He has dementia related to multiple health issues. He is currently on hospice care at the facility in their memory care unit. The staff is fantastic. He is in a companion room which is perfect. He only shares a bathroom and kitchenette area with another resident. They each have their on bedroom. The room is bright and cheerful. We were able to decorate it however we wanted. We visit each day and he is always clean, well groomed and happy. He does not lay around in his room all day but is up and encouraged to be engaged with other residents and staff. He was able to keep his dog even though he requires assistance feeding and walking him. There are large common living rooms and dining rooms which are decorated in a homey environment. Every time we are there the residents are engaged with staff in activities or enjoying thier surroundings. Any little thing we mention to staff is taken care immediately. He is very happy there and we are gratefull for his care. I am in the health care field and know what to look for in the care. This care is excellent.

Caring106289850 February 17, 2015

Our visit to Sunrise at Bonita was great because the environment was very clean and organized, and the staff was accommodating and nice. The people here were very friendly and looked happy.

karmalee April 30, 2014

The customer service here is deplorable - you can call and leave a message and you will never receive a call back from anyone. They also like to incorrectly assess your loved one so you are happy with the cost at first, but then they move him to a higher level (without notice/warning). We were so unhappy after moving dad in ( he was unhappy too) that we moved him out to a much much better facility within 2 weeks of moving him into Sunrise. Be careful with this facility!!!

We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our community. We take your comments very seriously and would like more information. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details. Thanks, the Sunrise Team

Caring77952050 January 31, 2014

My dad is at Sunrise at Bonita now. I looked at a lot of others and this place was the medium size that I like that's why I chose them. Also, because my dad has a little dementia, so it was important to me that they could drive him to the doctor's appointments and take him up to the doctor's office and not just dump him off the curb. I like this place. My first impression was that there were a lot of older people down in the lobby, which was good for me because it made me feel like they feel comfortable enough they could just hang out downstairs. For accommodation, my dad is in a private room. It's big enough and it has a really nice bathroom that is modern. The food is great. They have a very nice dining room. It's spacious enough for wheelchairs. The staff is great. Their work ethic is really good. For activities, they would take the residents out on outings, they have happy hour, exercise class and holiday meals with families invited. I like this facility but I did have two problems with them. The first one is that they changed the rate on us immediately after we moved him in. They started the rate increase at January instead of the moved-in date and we moved him right before January. I thought they misrepresented themselves when they made me an offer on the rate. Also, when I called to schedule a doctor's visit for them for my dad, they use a regular notebook and they can't find it, so they shuffled me around from person to person. Then they forgot to put it in the book and it's just a constant struggle.

We're glad to hear about your positive experience with our community, but sorry that there have been some areas of concern. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com so we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

Robert77986950 January 31, 2014

My wife stayed at Sunrise for three weeks. It was not a large facility. It probably had about 60 residents and it was designed to look like a home. I liked the rooms which were semi-private rooms and 99% of the people who worked there were very good. They all had a good attitude, very friendly and caring about the residents. They had a flat rate for the room plus a flat rate for the assistance she received.

Nancy25 December 16, 2012

My father chose this facility as his home. He secured a great private suite that allowed us to put many of his existing furnishings inside to make his new home as familair and comfortable as his condo. He fully enjoyed the meals and comraderie of his table mates as well as the opportunity to go on outings to Balboa park, Viejas Casino, and local shopping excursions. The staff was caring and responsive and I found them to be meticulous in insuring he received his medications. Sunrise also had funny and entertaining activities daily whioch kept my Dad's interest up as well as providing entertainment. I highly reccommend Sunrise for your consideration in placing your loved one.

commercesd March 13, 2012

My friend and I went to check out Sunrise of Bonita while looking at places for he and his wife to live in the area. They have lived in the region for many years and want to remain in the area to stay connected with friends.

We noticed right away that the grounds were beautifully landscaped and very nicely maintained. There were plenty of places to enjoy being outside and safe areas to walking around. They also have a resident dog and cat, which adds to its homey atmosphere.

They can adjust their care levels according to how needs change, which we really liked. My friend and his wife have a relatively active lifestyle. However, that may change over time, so they are looking for somewhere that can change with them.

Each of the interior areas featured many places to enjoy peacefully and were lovely and very easy to access for the seniors. The entire interior was designed with beautiful views in a current décor and lots of fresh air and light.

The social rooms offered easy ways for seniors to easily socialize, make crafts, play games, watch TV and films and participate in the many stimulating activities.

Seniors are encouraged to use the exercise facilities to take classes or use equipment. They may also go on walks around the property.

Private living spaces were airy, spacious and nicely designed. Bathrooms and all facilities were designed with safety in mind.

Healthy food options for all kinds of diets were available on the menus. The dining rooms was nice and the food we saw looked and smelled appetizing. Snacks were offered whenever requested and all day and into the evening.

The regular outings included trips into town for local sight seeing, nature walks and visits to all of the great activities that Chula Vista offers.

All of the seniors here looked as though they were enjoying living in this retirement community very much, served well by kind and caring staff.

From Sunrise of Bonita

Step into the Sunrise at Bonita assisted living community in Chula Vista, California and you can't help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, comfortable community areas and choice of suites, to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you'll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Sunrise at Bonita is built on a commitment to our residents and their families. We believe no two people are alike, so the services and attention we provide should never be exactly the same. That's also why we offer a variety of lifestyle, service and care options. By providing these choices, we not only offer solutions for today, but we provide the security of knowing that there are options for tomorrow.

Features of Sunrise of Bonita

• Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• Pets: All pets allowed
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): 374603394