Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg

201 Wheatland Court, Christiansburg, VA, 24073

Reviews of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg

Gail27 December 07, 2014

There are some very nice people who work at Commonwealth Assisted Living, but they are severely understaffed. My husband pays on a daily basis, so the amount is never the same from month to month. It is based on a number of days and for each extra thing that he needs, so it fluctuates from month to month. His daily rate increased by 2.5%, which isn't too bad on his anniversary date. He has been very dissatisfied with the food. He has a spacious room, and I think they call it a suite. There is a little living room area, and then a bedroom separate from that. It is what he needs, and he doesn't feel cramped.

They can do very little besides maybe bandage up a wound, dispense pills, give baths, and they put him in a Jacuzzi, bathe, and shave him. I know they have CNAs, but they don't have any RNs or LPNs, and then they had other people who work there, but no real medical people. Some of them are very friendly, and they are pleasant to talk to, but they are just so busy that they don't really have time to do a lot of socializing. Some of the administrative people have to pitch in; they help to serve meals. They are all very nice. I never had any problems with any of the administrative people. It is just that everybody is overwhelmed with what they have to do because they don't have enough people to do it. I think that if they had more staff, it would definitely be good.

They are going through a massive renovation, so it is noisy right now, and because of their elderly residents, they only work between 9 and 3 in the afternoon. They did the dining room first, and it has been a disaster. The dining room looks nice now, but they moved everybody out of it, and there was mass confusion. Last year they also had the neural virus go through the facility twice, so people were really sick, and when you got people who cannot walk well or get themselves to the bathroom in a timely fashion, you get a mess. So, we've had some kind of bad experiences although the people have been nice enough, but it just has not been a happy situation.

Gail27, On behalf of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We are dedicated to providing high-quality senior housing, personal care and comprehensive services that are responsive to the needs and preferences of residents and their families. As you mentioned, our community is undergoing renovations to make it more welcoming and allow us to provide our residents with the highest-quality care. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and discuss your experience in person. My e-mail address is areynolds@commonwealthal.com and my phone number is (540) 585-4384. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you. Alice Reynolds, Executive Director at Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg

A.C. St. Jean November 14, 2014

I am writing this to relate my recent experience working with Ms.Sutphin, Ms. Heath and the staff at Commonwealth Assisted Living in Christiansburg, VA.

My uncle had been living independently in a CCRC in Baltimore, MD. After suffering a mild stroke, it became apparent that he would require additional support. The community he was living in could not provide the services or environment he required. As his primary caregiver and living approximately six hours away, I began my search for a community that would meet his needs and ensure a continued high quality of life. Recommendations from friends brought me to CAL Christiansburg.

My initial meeting with Ms. Sutphin immediately put by mind at ease. She was more than generous with her time, providing my wife and me with a complete tour of the facility while explaining the services available to residents. She never rushed us and answered all the questions we had in a compassionate and professional manner. Her experience handling situations like my uncles was evident and I found this to be especially reassuring at a very anxious time. Ms. Sutphin came in on the weekends to accommodate my work travel schedule and was there on a Sunday afternoon to personally welcome my uncle and make him feel at home. She and Ms. Heath were persistent advocates for my uncle when working with the medical and administrative personnel at his previous CCRC. I was impressed and very appreciative of the manner in which they handled the details of his approval to CAL and the seamless transfer they arranged while always keeping me informed. Ms. Sutphin even arranged for temporary furnishings for my uncle until his could be moved from Baltimore.

My uncle is 85 years old and having lived in Baltimore his entire life, as expected, he is experiencing some transitional anxiety. Ms. Sutphin is going out of her way to address his every concern from food, to social integration to the parking lot lighting outside his room. I have found her to be honest, knowledgeable and extremely supportive as my uncle continues to move through this difficult transitional period. As his primary family care provider, I feel blessed to have found someone like Ms. Sutphin to help guide me and answer my questions. Over the past month that I’ve worked with Ms. Sutphin, it is clearly evident to me that she takes a personal interest in each resident, and treats everyone she meets with care, dignity, and respect.

Michael Blankenship November 04, 2014

It is very difficult to adequately express our appreciation for your wonderful care of Elvis during the past 3 months and we will be forever grateful to you. It is extremely painful to see a charismatic, charming, and courteous parent gradually lose ability to think for himself and to carry on daily activities. However, the staff made that process so much easier for us and even more importantly, for Elvis, always affording him the greatest dignity and treating him as an individual.

Caring for the elderly cannot be an easy job, however, throughout his stay, every member of the staff team made a difference in his day. We know he is happier now and doing all the former things he could do. Thank you again for all the smiles, hugs, and love you showed Elvis.

Holly16 July 31, 2014

Wheatland Hills was a very nice and very clean property. The rooms were very nice. They were in the process of remodeling the dining area, which it would be a hotel set up. They had plenty and good social recreation. They had a bus that took people around the community. They were probably the best one that I had seen.

Caring70749650 February 27, 2014

My brother has been in Wheatland for about three months. It is a really nice place. No problems whatsoever with the staff, they've been okay. It just stood out more than the others. It's recommended by friends or by the people we had there. Some of Norman's friends had been there and one of them had a relative that was living in one of the facilities. The food was really good when we went over there.

He has early stages of dementia so he's in the dementia wing which is not quite as nice because they keep the doors locked up all the time. They can't get out. Where he is at now at assisted living, and home health care comes to give him therapy. With the special needs that he has, Wheatland is about $5,000 a month.

Relpha June 17, 2013

My grandmother really likes the apartment at Wheatland. They have different activities and people there are really nice. Everything was really nice. I guess the first impression was the cleanliness of the building.

snuggles20 November 22, 2011

understaffed and not much for the residents to do,plus it was very expensive.

Zulu September 21, 2011

My father-in-law lived at Wheatland for 2 years. He was cranky and hard to deal with, but staff never lost their patience with him, and treated him with respect. They helped him with dressing and toileting when needed, managed his medications, and tried to keep him engaged with staff and other residents. The food is wonderful, and the dining room is clean and appealing. Residents always seemed content, and there was a lot of interaction. My father is nearing the point of needing assisted living, and we will place him at Wheatland. I have been very impressed with them on all levels.

From Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg

Welcome to Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg, a premier senior living community in Virginia with a variety of living choices for seniors with a wide range of needs and lifestyle preferences. Our community provides comprehensive services for residents in a caring and home-like atmosphere. We believe in meeting the unique needs of all of our residents and offer many types of care, including spacious rooms in our assisted living community and cottages for our more independent residents. Our convenient location in Christiansburg is one of our community's many distinctive qualities and allows easy access to healthcare facilities, shopping and entertainment.

Our residents have access to many fabulous amenities and special programs for our independent living residents as well as our memory care residents. For instance, our signature Sweet Memories program, which received a best practice award from the Virginia Assisted Living Association, is designed specifically for those with memory care, Alzheimer's or dementia. Our full-time activities director coordinates daily activities, trips and social programs. Residents enjoy private or companion suites with a private bath and their pets are welcome too! With no expensive entrance fees, enjoying life at Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg is an affordable option. We also believe in personal and dignified care which is why team members are on-site 24 hours a day and we develop an individualized care plan for each resident. We understand that everyone has unique needs and we tailor services to our residents, such as medication management and assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing and grooming.

At our community, residents experience all the comforts of home plus maintenance-free living surrounded by friends, neighbors and compassionate caregivers! With a variety of living options, you'll be sure to feel right at home. Explore Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg further and schedule a tour today.

We are under construction to have more desirable dinning and the common are is being renovated for more home like. Our care for our residents regardless of level we can provide that care without moving out the community to relocate them to another building to provide the care.

Features of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• 24-hour security gate
  • Pool
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services

• Private services

• Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $3,600/month

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 55

• Licenses: Memory Care - Sweet Memory

• We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Christiansburg