Sunrise of Lincoln Park

2710 N.Clark Street, Chicago, IL, 60614

Reviews of Sunrise of Lincoln Park

Caring Son30 January 30, 2016

We were impressed with Sunrise and with the fact that they have pets that lived there. The residents were allowed to keep pets. That was a sign they were paying attention to the residents. It was very nicely maintained, decorated, and the feel was very nice. They have an exercise room, and an activity room.

Veronica10 January 14, 2016

Sunrise was a big facility and seemed OK. I met the staff, who were great. The rooms were of a nice size. They seemed to have a lot of activities.

Anonymous Sister November 30, 2015

My sister-in-law was admitted at Sunrise of Lincoln Park, and I really like it a lot. The staff is cordial, professional, and give good, personal care. I like the fact that they have a care manager. The nurses are competent and knowledgeable.

Judy Kalina March 12, 2015

Tom and the entire staff were so friendly and informative. The facility is beautiful. If we had not decided to move our mother out of state nearer to another sibling, we would have chosen Sunrise.

Concerned loved 1 October 13, 2014

Since our mother has been with Sunrise, we have had many negative experiences. Below is a synopsis of some of our interactions with the Sunrise Senior Living at Lincoln Park. I want to add that there are some wonderful aides who are just overworked. Also, we are only asking what was promised when we signed the contract.

When we signed the contract with Sunrise, we were told that there is an 8 to 10 minute wait after a resident presses the call button for an aide to appear. One evening I was getting ready to leave when mom said she had to go to the bathroom. I pressed the call button by her bed and the waiting began. I walked the halls to try and get help but everyone was busy assisting others. We waited TWO HOURS for aides to appear to assist mom in the bathroom. At that point, mom had already urinated and defecated in her pants. I took this issue up with the managing director. No one at Sunrise ever got back with us about this incident.

Another evening, I was in mom's room and pressed the call button at 6:30 pm because mom needed assistance in using the bathroom. I stepped out to make a phone call. An aide arrived in mom's room while I was out and turned the call button off without taking mom to the bathroom. I returned to mom's room and found out that the aide had not taken mom to the bathroom. I found the aide on the 1st floor and the aide said that she thought I was gone for the evening and would assist mom after her break. I requested the aide help mom before the break. Once again, we spoke with management and no one ever got back with us.

Mom had to use the restroom after lunch. The aide manager (the one who does the aide training), looked at us and said “she went an hour ago'' and acted like she did not want to help. My brother explained to the care manager that mom needed assistance in the bathroom and finally the aide manager took mom into the bathroom. We spoke with management and no one ever got back with us.

Another time, I pulled the call button by mom's bed and the aide manager arrived and told me not to pull all the call buttons in the room. As I was telling her I only pulled the one by mom's bed, the aide turned and walked away. Another aide witnessed this and said “don't let her spoil your day''.

Understaffed, underpaid and frustrated staff. One aide showed me a list of the eight residents she was responsible for the day. Keep in mind, the majority of these residents are beyond assisted living and are more in the realm of nursing home care.

Another aide, out of frustration, told us that the facility was severely understaffed. Also, the aides phones didn't even work so they were not receiving pages from the residents. Speaking of being understaffed, on October 9th the aides arrived at approximately 8 am and told mom that they would be back after breakfast to clean her up. At 1:45 pm., no aides had arrived so my brother asked the receptionist who mom's aides were. At that point, the aides arrived and gave mom a bath. During this time, mom's sons and daughter were the ones giving mom water and feeding her applesauce.

One evening, my mother was having a hard time breathing and was in extreme pain. I pressed the call button and when an aide did not arrive, I went to the nurse's station on the second floor but was unable to find anyone. I found two aides on the third floor and explained the situation. It took 20 minutes for the nurse to appear to administer the oral pain medication. When the Hospice nurse spoke with the Regional Director of Nursing for Sunrise, she told the Hospice nurse that a 20 minute wait when someone was in distressed breathing and in pain was acceptable. Because of that situation, a doctor's order was placed that two syringes of medication were to be given to one of mom's adult children at 3 p.m. so they would not have the medication on hand throughout the evening and not have to wait for a nurse to appear to administer the medication. At one point a nurse was uncomfortable with leaving the medication in the room. My brother was able to convince her it was a doctor's order to give him the medication to have on hand so we would not have to wait for help.

Because of the above mentioned situation among others, our Hospice nurse set-up an appointment with Sunrise's regional director of nursing to address some concerns (i.e., inadequate care, red marks appearing on mom's back, etc.) and also talk about mom's care so we would all be on the same page. Hospice representatives, along with my brother and I, met in the Sunrise lobby at the appointed time. That is when the regional director of nursing yelled from across the room that she had another appointment because the Hospice nurse never verified the meeting. The Hospice nurse said “Confirm the meeting? We spoke and agreed on Thursday at 10:30 am''. The nursing director just kept walking. Our Hospice nurse said she had never had to deal with anything like this before.

Caring61190350 March 27, 2014

Sunrise was a beautiful facility. This was the one that had a memory care program. However, my mother had other health issues, and when they told me that they had one doctor who comes in, I looked at it from the standpoint of, "Would he have more than a nurse or one assistant?" When going into an emergency, which patient would he go to, whichever one is most critical? I just thought they needed to have an appropriate number of staff for the number of patients.

Caring76677650 March 21, 2014

I took a tour of Sunrise. I thought it was a very nice environment, but it wasn't appropriate for the level of care that we need. I thought the rooms were nice, spacious, and bright. It was a very nice, homey environment. It seem like they're very caring people. They have a very nice area for more than dementia patients. They also had a room where people could de-stress.

They seem very involved in activities. They were sitting in a table engaging people in games. They seem very caring and attentive. There was follow up from the administration to see if there was an additional need for their assistance. The little bit of exposure with them was very good. It would have been a place I would definitely move my father if it would have been appropriate. I just wasn't able to travel to come back to Chicago.

Pelican13 December 05, 2013

My relative lived at Sunrise/Lincoln Park for 6 months. The staff was wonderful when we visited, but after we signed the contract it all changed. I watched as my relative was transformed from a spirited, happy person to a lethargic, broken spirited individual. The monthly bills were always more than I had been told they would be and they increased every month after I asked a question about the billing. She was charged at the maximum care/medication levels and I never could get the details on what each category included and why she was in that category. She definitely did not receive maximum care. This facility is probably OK if the resident is totally compliant and submissive, but not if their behavior is a challenge in any way (as with forms of dementia). After she became a resident, the staff did not communicate with me (her POA), did not reply to e-mails, did not answer questions satisfactorily, their "psychiatrist" prescribed strong anti-psychotic medication without my permission (or knowledge sometimes) and told me he would not to talk to any family members when I finally was able to meet with him in person (he happened to be at Sunrise one time when I was there). My relative showed visible fear around some staff members (although some of the staff she seemed to like). The food was not good and she was often given items she was not able to cut and had no utensils to do it even if she could--no one assisted her. The food was just plopped in front of her and then taken away later whether she had eaten anything or not (although there were times when some of the staff tried to feed her). I would not recommend this facility to anyone as our experience with Sunrise/Lincoln Park was very unsatisfactory and I intend to pursue my complaints with the corporate offices of Sunrise Senior Living.

Cindy32 November 27, 2013

My sister is in Sunrise. It is a very nice, modern and clean place. It is very well maintained. The people are also very nice. The staff is very accommodating and I have no complaint. They have entertainment come in. They have bingo, cards and different games. The food is very good.

Paul17 August 26, 2013

The program of activities looks great. The building and dining area is nice. The outdoor courtyard is so inviting.

penguingirl December 08, 2012

they were unable to care for my father properly, and continued to insist they could over and over. He has Alzheimers, and was extremely difficult to take care of. We found him constantly covered with bruises and cuts, and no one was ever sure how they got there. Most likely from the care givers fighting with him. It seemed as if they were grossly uderstaffe to be able to handle such a difficult person. They had to get so many residents ready for bed, for example, they couldn't keep coming back and checking in with my father to see when he was ready to copperate. It had to be on their time, and so he would get very angry, thrashing and hitting them away from him. The nurse was very difficult to deal with, and very inaccessible. They finally kicked him out, and when we moved him to a new place he was never violent or beligernet again. His bruises healed, and he was a different person. I don't know if they are understaffed for such difficult cases, or untrained. But if your loved one is at all difficult, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Bubz12 November 28, 2012

My grandmother is so happy at Sunrise Senior Living. It is located in Chicago's Lincoln Park community so she has nothing but the best around her at walking distance. The staff are so nice and so caring. My grandmother really enjoy the other resident and its just an easy living for her.

jobeermoney October 23, 2012

This facility is located in the city of Chicago, and many buildings here are prone to feeling crowded. However, I felt that this facility had such a design as to allow "breathability". I visited several floors, and each appeared very clean. The staff was very helpful, making sure that I was escorted (for security reasons) to the residents I needed to visit. They have a huge dog that barks at you when you walk through the door but the receptionist assures you she is harmless. The apartments that I visited were nice and roomy and the residents appeared in good health and spirits. Everyone I came in contact with during my visit were very helpful and accommodating. I thought this facility was lovely, very upscale and way out of my price range and probably out of the price range of most people, although there was one woman in charge who seemed rather "uptight," about my being there and making sure that I was being dealt with properly. If I were a family member I'd probably appreciate that about her.

afasdfasdfasd October 22, 2012

Love the care my grandma used to get here. All downhill since new management

tanyaegl June 29, 2012

The staff and residents were nice. They have a huge dog that barks at you when you walk through the door but the receptionist assures you she is harmless. The facility itself was ok. The carpets and couches smelled like urine, mostly dog urine, the apartment that we where shown was nice and roomy and my grandmother liked it but it wasn't very clean. My grandmother is a neat freak and was totally turned of by the not so clean apartment and the horrible smells of the couches and carpet.

ClkJester May 29, 2012

My grandmother was slipping deeper into Alzheimers, with very severe dementia, and the staff there made her years comfortable and happy as they could have been. The food was supposedly excellent (to the point where Grandma would occasionally blow off dinner with us to eat with her friends), the staff was helpful and extremely friendly, and Grandma often told us how happy she was.Overall they did a wonderful job, and turned a bad situation into something that was, at the least, managable.

baileys April 28, 2012

the neighborhood of the sunrise of lincoln park is enough to fall in love with this facility. the neighborhood has just enough so you will never be bored, but not too much to overwhelm you. upon walking in, the lobby was very clean, very well kept and inviting. there were beautiful fresh cut flowers in the lobby, huge windows, and even bigger chairs. the patio was amazing, along with the large activity room for games and fun times. the employees at the facility were very warm and inviting. Everyone I came in contact with during my visit were very helpful and accommodating. i left with enough information to give to my friend to help them with their decision to move in or not. no one was overly pushy, or trying to persuade me to make a decision then and there either. i was encouraged to take some time and think about my options.

Caring201973 January 09, 2012

I thought this facility was lovely, very upscale and way out of my price range and probably out of the price range of most people. I was there to visit with a resident.

This facility is in the heart of Lincoln Park, great for city folk. There is limited parking for visitors in the back of the building. You can see a great view of Clark street and the goings on on the street from the first floor lobby and also from some of the bedrooms. The lobby is comfortable, albeit elegant. There are big windows and lots of light that comes in. There are comfortable chairs and there is a big dog that comes and greets you and likes to lay on the stairs. There is also a cat. Residents enjoy throwing the dog's toy and he plays with them. The dog is apparently trained to be gentle. The place smells wonderful and staff told me that they go out of their way to make sure that the smells are good. The residents' rooms are plush. There is nothing institutional about them whatsoever. There are fresh flowers throughout.

The staff and management of the facility are very professional and friendly, although there was one woman in charge who seemed rather "uptight," about my being there and making sure that I was being dealt with properly. If I were a family member I'd probably appreciate that about her. I think the residents get excellent care there. The majority of residents have alzheimers.

While I was there, residents were friendly and seemed happy. They seemed to enjoy the dog. There was also a "bistro" where residents can eat. It looks like a fun gathering place and people were chatting and eating.

Overall, Sunrise Assisted Living is beautiful, and I would recommend it to anyone although I am sure it is not affordable to the average senior. If you have the money, I would by all means recommend it.

acespad1 August 05, 2011

My mother and i interveiwed with this facility because we were shopping around for the best care for my great grandmother. While at the site we saw that it was very very clean and spacious. They had an entire wing of the facility dedicated to recreation. The also had a travel program, where they would transport either you or your family member if you were a resident. Overall my mom and I were very pleased with this agency, and we liked there programs that they had for the elderly. The only reason we did finalize everything was because my grandmother passed before we had that opportunity.

arjayeph June 27, 2011

In attempting to locate appropriate facilities for several senior family members, we have become quite familiar with Sunrise- a nationwide network of Senior Care facilities With a handful of locations in the Chicago area. While each Sunrise we've seen has its unique character, there is a very obvious formula that they attempt to follow. Physical location aside, how well a given facility follows the corporate guidelines would seem to be the most important difference between the facilities.

This relatively small (68 residents) location is quite new, and located in a very active and well-kept Chicago neighborhood. Definitely not for those seeking a pastoral or rural environment, it is ideal for those who appreciate being "in the middle of things", as this facility is surrounded by an eclectic and vibrant mix of shops, restaurants, cafes, and vintage architecture. However,despite its surroundings, the facility deftly allows residents to isolate themselves from the bustle if they are feeling overwhelmed.

The building is fresh both inside and out, the decor a well-calculated and very tasteful blend of traditonal elements and modern amenities. The impresive lobby is flanked by a communal area on one side and a combination "bistro" and dining area on the other. The Bistro is a cafe-like area with coffee, tea, and juices that is always available for interaction between residents and/or guests, and the large windows in the airy dining area allow one to dine in relative luxury while observing the street activity.

Other communal areas include a library, numerous small lounge areas scattered about the residential floors, a theater/activity room, a large game/recreation room, and a truly charming interior, open-air patio area, filled with resident-tended plants, and used for activities and cook outs as weather allows. Another nice touch is a private dining room which residents can reserve to "host" a family gathering.

Like some other organizations, Sunrise seems to favor "companion-living" suites to maximize space and thereby offer a lower basic rate. These units feature two separate sleeping areas or rooms sharing a common sitting/kitchenette area. Though suitable or even ideal for some seniors, others may find this option unacceptable, especially since, though at the lower end of the Sunrise rate scale, the rates are comparable to individual units at similar facilities. As for single units, Sunrise Lincoln Park offers three basic variations, the smallest being about $4500/month, about $1000 more than their lowest rate. It should be noted that these rates are only for basic residential services- meals, laundry, cleaning, and access to all activities and areas. Those requiring actual assistance with their daily activities will be assessed an additional $600 to $2050/month, depending upon exactly which level of care a resident is determined to require.

In fairness, though the rates here are defintely on the high end of the spectrum for this type of facility, the units themselves are spacious and well-designed. Also, for those of you unfamiliar with Chicago, the rents for even conventional apartments in this area are at the high end of the spectrum in a City where the average rent is high to begin with. The point here is, while this is definitely not a bargain when compared to assisted living facilities elsewhere in Chicago or the surrounding area, it is by no means unreasonable when one takes into account the location. For seniors just transitioning into assisted living, or even those experiencing certain mental or physical impairments, this is an excellent location for those who still enjoy, on one level or another, the many opportunties and sights that Chicago has to offer.

The overall demeanor here is cheery, if perhaps a bit reserved. The staff that we encountered was friendly and welcoming, but brings us to a possible caveat. Having had extensive prior experience with another Sunrise in the area, we were less than ecstatic with the service we and our mother received at times. While most of the staff was conscientious, there were repeated gaffes over the course of her stay with them, both by the caregiving and management staff. While it may be unfair to judge an entire facility, or especially another facility merely within the same company, based on a few issues with perhaps only a few staff members, we feel that there should be minimal tolerance for errors when entrusting the health and safety of a loved one to a facility, especially when one is paying that organization a handsome sum for their services. Our problems were primarily based in what can most politely be termed as poor communications. Elements of care were not quite as initially presented; monitoring and observation of our mother's behavior was repeatedly shown to be inaccurate or,at least, inconsistent. This may sound minor, but when one has no dependable way of knowing how a woman suffering from advancing dementia is behaving on a daily basis, it can be very disconcerting when one finds that significant changes are taking place yet is unaware if they have been/are being addressed. Again, while our experience was with a different Sunrise facility, one must wonder how carefully each facility is monitored.

Like most assisted living locations, there is a well-designed schedule of activities. We were happy to see the residents enjoying the beautiful weather on their patio, something we'd never witnessed at the other Sunrise. They also feature a secure memory-care floor, dedicated to those with considerably-advanced dementia. While physically similar, the higher level of care brings expectedly higher monthly rates. Though we did not eat a meal here, we'd expect the food to be similar to the other Sunrises, with meals having daily features along with a standard "go-to" menu. If it parallels other Sunrises, the quality is sufficient, if unimpressive, and notably light on fresh fruits and vegetables. Prepared to carefully avoid waste, failure to arrive near the onset of a meal might mean that they have run out of a daily feature item.

Truthfully, I would give this facility the benefit of the doubt. The fact that it is new, relatively small, and probably at the upper end of the Sunrise quality spectrum would lead us to believe that it will provide care more comprehensive than that of its sister location. While comparable care and amenities can easily be had at lower rates (there is also a sizeable, non-refundable "community fee" required upon move-in) at other assisted living facilities, one would be hard-pressed to find a nicer assisted living facility for those who might still revel in the bustle of city life.

From Sunrise of Lincoln Park

Sunrise of Lincoln Park is located just minutes from Lincoln Park Zoo, Wrigley Field, Butterfly Museum, Lake Michigan's beaches, downtown Chicago and an eclectic array of small shops and restaurants situated in the heart of the beautiful, upscale, near north neighborhood of Lincoln Park. The community sits close to Michigan Avenue (The Magnificent Mile), world class restaurants, shopping and museums, and an endless variety of theater, music and entertainment. We pride ourselves in providing the Sunrise standard of care in our beautiful five-story brick building. Our activities and food service are geared toward the city mentality and offer an opportunity for the Sunrise of Lincoln Park resident to continue to benefit from the amenities they have enjoyed for most of their lives.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can?t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you?ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Features of Sunrise of Lincoln Park

• 24-hour security gate

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• 24 hour nurses: Available during business hours