Brookdale Chatsworth

20801 Devonshire Street, Chatsworth, CA, 91311

Reviews of Brookdale Chatsworth

Caring113343950 September 29, 2015

Brookdale Chatsworth (Formerly Emeritus at Chatsworth) was very nice. Their rooms were very spacious, and the prices were a lot better. We didn't meet too many people there, but the people that we met were very nice. We had not seen any activities, and they did not seem to have as many opportunities as the other place we visited, but the atmosphere seemed nice.

Marilyn40 March 07, 2015

I have my sister in Brookdale, and it seems to be working really well. She has a new roommate. She is really capable of taking care of herself, but they take care of all of her meds. She loves to play bingo and watch the movies, and she does the exercise. For her, she is very happy with the way the facility is set-up. Most of all, she is very happy there, and she really likes the food. She has no complaint about anybody. We asked for a couple of things to be added like an extra bar in the bathroom for the shower, and they have it done on the same day. When we have something that needs to be repaired, the person comes in and fixes it the same day. Truthfully, I don't see any issues with that company right now.

Anna21 January 13, 2015

I like the cleanliness of Brookdale, the people, and the cafeteria. They have a menu with a good balanced diet and snacks. They do have activities. It's a very nice place, but it’s huge. The rooms were nice; it could be private or shared. They were clean, nicely kept, and they were also adding more rooms to the place.

The staff was very friendly and very nice. I wasn’t able to make an appointment, but she was able to tour me. They’ve done a fantastic job. They had exercise, a waiting room, movies, they go on outings, and they’ve been pretty active.

Caring98088350 November 29, 2014

Emeritus at Chatsworth is fine. I liked the rooms, but my mother-in-law, who is living there, doesn’t like being there. There are a lot of activities, she does not participate; she doesn't want to. She likes the food though. I liked it because people were friendly, it was clean and didn't smell horrendous, it was open and airy, and it seemed to have a lot of things that we thought she would like.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our community. Your feedback is always considered and appreciated!

Caring69383750 November 29, 2014

Emeritus at Chatsworth was fine, and that was where my mom was supposed to go before she passed away. It just seemed to fit her needs, and the cost was reasonable. This was an older place, but we didn't have a lot of money at that time, so we were looking for something that would fit that. It could use some updating, but it was OK. The staff was very knowledgeable, very helpful, and very accommodating. The room was just adequate; it wasn't too big or too small -- it was just average.

Paige1 November 29, 2014

We went with Emeritus at Chatsworth because of the price, and it was clean and smelled good. They have lots of classes, and my mom is active because of the classes she's in. The meals are really good, and the food choices are good. They keep it clean, and they do her laundry every few days and make up her bed, so it is really nice. They do care from people that they are worried about falling to those who are pretty independent -- which is my mom -- and all the way to people who need getting dressed and taking baths. It is an older building and stuff, but they do a good job keeping it clean, and everybody is really friendly. We are happy with everybody there. We were impressed with how friendly the people were and how much they offer for the amount of money that it costs.

Caring83987250 October 25, 2014

I looked at Emeritus which I thought was pretty nice. It has all levels including Alzheimer's, and the units were OK size-wise. It was the first facility my mom visited, and she didn’t like it at all. She felt that it was cold, and it was not very greeting. I think it was a converted hotel one time. It had long hallways; the rooms were nice. They took me on a tour, and they were very nice. They explained everything.

What impressed me is that they had the full RN facility. If you went to the hospital, they have RNs, and if you needed specialized nursing, they have it there. I’ve heard everybody just loves this place, but I wasn’t impressed.

Donald21 July 19, 2014

We used to live at Emeritus at Chatsworth. I was there about a year and a half. Excellent food. There was a chef, and he made the most excellent dinners and lunches and everything. They had a tremendous spread every morning for breakfast: oatmeal, cream of wheat, raisin bran, fruit, beverages, anything you could want. It was the biggest living room in the whole building, and they had actually put in a drywall at the back to make a bedroom and a little space beside it where I kept my computer and my office files. It was very nice. That's why we went over there, so that somebody would always be around to take care of us and somebody else would do all the grocery shopping and the cooking and the dishwashing. It was very expensive, though. I didn't get along with the executive director. I was popular, and she resented me because I think I became more popular than she was. The ratio of men to women is about 3:1, and most of the women are widowed or divorced. There was a shopping center just about a half a mile away. My companion and I used to go out and take walks around the block in the neighborhood.

Caring85068850 June 30, 2014

I really like the layout of Emeritus at Chatsworth. The rooms are good, and they seem to have a lot of good programs available for those who need them. I met with the kitchen staff, and they were phenomenal. They knew the residents by name, and everybody seemed to love them. Their staff all seemed to be in a place they wanted to be. The rooms were very clean and laid out really well. They provide things for you if you need them. The rooms are very bright.

Caring85867950 June 26, 2014

Everyone at Emeritus is very pleasant. The place is clean. My mom likes most of the food. They have a lot of events going on, like bingo and word games. Everyone's easy to work with and friendly.

Cheryl32 June 26, 2014

Emeritus was very well maintained. We loved everything about it. Everything was great. The interior and the rooms were very spacious, very nice and clean, like an upscale hotel. It had a closet, a bathroom, and the tubs had a cut-out in the middle at one end, so you can just step in without having to climb over into a tub. The bedroom area was a good size. But you bring your own bed and furniture, so we would be able to bring her TV or dresser, her bed, and her nightstands there. There's a refrigerator and microwave..

We didn't get a chance to taste the food, but the smell was fantastic and the menu was really great. The hallways were clean. If there was a resident who needed help, there was always somebody walking down the hall to help them. The door is locked at a certain time. It felt very nice there, and I thought my mom would love it. She could pay the price that they wanted, but then there was like $3,250 which was non-refundable. She can't care for herself, so somebody needs to come in and make sure she takes a bath and be there to help her. She takes the wrong medicine at the wrong time. She's a diabetic, and she doesn’t take the shot when she's supposed to. So they have somebody do that, and that costs extra. We were looking at almost $4,000 a month. But she only gets $2,000 a month.

Mildred5 February 28, 2014

My daughter chose Emeritus at Chatsworth for me that's why I'm in here. The environment is very good and the people very nice, kind, and understanding. I've been treated very well and I like it a lot. Their work attitude seems to be fine to me. They are all a bunch of nice people. My room is bright, well ventilated, and very nice. Their dining room is big, clean, and very nice. The food is great as well and I have no complaints or whatsoever.

Caring77717850 February 24, 2014

Mom is at Emeritus at Chatsworth. The facility is clean and up to date. It gave you more like a hotel or community feeling. It has nice grounds. The staff is nice.

Caring82030850 December 30, 2013

Emeritus at Chatsworth was the one I selected for my mother-in-law. I chose it for its location, room size, and the reasonable place. The staff are friendly and caring. They seemed concerned about your needs. The rooms are spacious. We had a meal there and the food is very good. The dining room is large and well-staffed.

Margaret21 September 14, 2013

Emeritus at Chatsworth would have been my first choice if I had the money. This place is very, very nice. The people that are working there are splendid.

Michelle27 August 01, 2013

The staff is wonderful at Emeritus at Chatsworth. The nurses are very kind and on top of things. One nurse in particular, Pat, is so sweet. She is very attentive and also very good in taking care of my mom and having her call me every day. As far as I understand, Mom is well taken care of. The facility is clean. The food is okay. I think they have great activities. They have movie nights, the walking club and bingo. However, I wish I had known about their community fees. Their payment plan was okay, except for the fact that when the second month came, they just charged the balance. It was contrary to what they said they were going to do which was to charge it in increments over three months. It is $900 of her monthly fees and that is only a third of the community fees. When I call, the woman in finance again was very nice and very apologetic, but said there is no easy way to get that back to us. That is frustrating because that is like an additional $2,500 that I really wasn't budgeting for within the next three months. However, that's the only thing. It is a very good facility and I still choose it for my mom.

Tamara3 June 13, 2013

Emeritus at Chatsworth is probably one of the best ones out there. It's very clean. It looks like a hotel rather than a facility, so it's very nice. The staff are very good, informative, and willing to answer my questions. But the cost is not just the right fit for us. It's very expensive, but I would still recommend it.

Susan35 April 17, 2013

We were treated very well at Emeritus. The person we talked to was personable, very attentive and helpful. She gave us a lot of information. The staff was perfect. Everyone was friendly. Even the residents would acknowledge you when you walked down the hall, so that was cool.

We were very pleased with that facility. It was not too far from where my sister-in-law works. But now that we found out we can't get any benefits, she is going to go to different avenues.

helper1231 July 28, 2012

Emeritus is definitely an older facility but recently has been remodeled. The place looks fantastic. When I went to work with the staff, they treated me with ultimate kindness and respect. The rooms are well insulated and living conditions are amazing for elder people to enjoy their stay. The occupants are always kept busy and the staff is always working with utmost patience towards everyone. The place is also kept very clean.Rooms have a nice view of the outdoors. I have also heard that the price to stay here is very reasonable. When I volunteered, everyone was nice including the elderly people staying there. Just a quick note for volunteers, it is a great place to volunteer at if you want to work with a great staff. It is a very pleasant environment to be in and I would recommend this place to anyone who lives in the near vicinity.

YippyKyYay July 28, 2012

Clearly this is one of the older facilities in the Emeritus family but they just did a major remodel and the rooms and common areas are beautiful. The rooms are good size and they offer assisted and independent living. The staff is wonderful and seems to enjoy their jobs. They are friendly and caring and this comes through their interacting with the residents. The activity calendar is full of wonderful events and excursions. They keep the residents busy and active to lessen the loneliness factor. The work they did upgrading is also reflective in the rooms and apartments. If you're looking for a reasonable priced community that will take care of your loved one this is a perfect choice. Emeritus knows this business and never disappoint. You will be happy if you make this your choice.

Caring53 July 20, 2011

They answered all of my questions both during the tour and e-mails after the tour. My aunt needed a large studio and this facility had the largest room with the most reasonable price.They are in the middle of remodeling but have not raised prices.I would highly recommend this facility.

From Brookdale Chatsworth

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale Chatsworth