Atria Burlingame

250 Myrtle Road, Burlingame, CA, 94010

Reviews of Atria Burlingame

Caring106815650 May 28, 2015

We took my mother-in-law Monday to Atria Burlingame, and so far so good. We were there Tuesday also with her, and they wanted a stay away for about four days to get her acclimated. I think their plan was that she had to learn how to depend on them because she is blind and has difficulty hearing. She has to learn about how to use the call button as well, but we were able to arrange all her furniture almost like it was here so she didn't have too much trouble navigating to the bathroom. There was a hard time the first day, but they were helpful. We weren't looking for anything fancy because she can't see, but my husband said when he first walked in, he felt like he was on a cruise ship because the dining room looks like the big dining room when we went on a cruise. They had tablecloths and flowers on the table and silverware. I think it is more because my mother-in-law was very picky than it was anything wrong. I had a salad from the salad bar, and it was fine. It wasn't spectacular, but it was certainly adequate. It is a little different, but we haven't had too much experience yet. It is an adventure working things out because she is so fuzzy about things, but there is nothing wrong with any of the food. The place is very clean, new looking, very fresh, and nice. The staff is really nice. We chose Atria Burlingame partly for location, partly for the room layout, and partly for the people because the people were so nice and helpful.

Caring101325650 February 17, 2015

Atria Burlingame is very nice and well-kept. It is also well run. We crossed each unit, and it looked great. It has a kitchenette. We only saw a staged unit. The staff is very friendly. What is good is that they do have medical assistance there. There weren't any activities when we toured the place. There is an activity chart that they walked us through. They have bingo nights, and they have tours and excursions. It is intimate and well kept. It is also in a good location.

The Pletts Family January 30, 2015

My mom was in Atria Burlingame. We chose it because of the staff, the floor plan, the natural light, and the pricing. Basically, it was good. They had individual units. I had a meal there. They had a private chef and an open dining room with white linens, and there's linen on the table every meal. There was a waiter's service, and there was a salad bar for lunch and dinner. The staff was professional, efficient, friendly, compassionate, and kind. They were always available, and they knew everybody on the first name basis. They were very humane. They had daily activities like cakes and cookies decorating. They had tea and sandwiches every afternoon at 3 o'clock. They had bingo, card playing, guest speakers, and busses so you could go on outing. They had shopping, outing, and scenic drives.

Caring100230750 January 13, 2015

I think Atria Burlingame was old. I noticed that the furniture seemed old. The rooms were a little bit small. However, the people that work there were really great. The lady who we spoke with was very present and very helpful. She took us around. The facility was fine when the time comes for my husband. The only problem is that this facility is a little bit far from my family. However, I would probably go to Atria because the management was not bad. At least they were more approachable and more interested.

We are so happy you got a taste of how amazing our staff is during your visit. We pride ourselves on our commitment to quality which goes far beyond the building and amenities. If we can answer any questions or be of further service to your family, please feel to reach out via customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and be sure to include “Atria Burlingame” in your subject line so we may quickly connect you with the right person to help.

caring84268050 May 28, 2014

The Atria Burlingame was very nice, and we enjoyed meeting with them. What we liked about it was that it was in front of a park, and that park also had yoga classes. The staff was very helpful, they were very informed, and they followed up with us a lot to make sure that all our questions were answered. They invited us to St. Patrick’s Day. There is a variety of food and it changes all the time. They had a nice meal program.

Maria28 April 26, 2014

I toured Atria. I wouldn't say super duper, but it was very good. There seemed to be lots of services available. The staff was very gracious. I would recommend it, depending on the needs of the person who was interested. The rooms were very clean, and they were good sized, very comfortable looking. I saw the menu, and it sounded very good. The people I saw in the common areas seemed to be very content, very satisfied. Some of them were sitting around reading, some came and left. There were one or two using the special walker with the wheels, which I had to use in the past when I was recovering from surgery. Nobody seemed to be down and out in attitude or physically. To me, it would be above average but not tops.

retiredshell January 23, 2014

We are writing this letter/evaluation today having moved our mother out of Atria Senior Living - Burlingame. We want to alert any future families of the policies and practices used in the care of its residents and to hopefully prevent future residents experiencing what we have with our mother over the past ten months.

We preface are remarks by saying that the Atria mom moved into on Feb. 14, 2013 was in no way the Atria she left on Dec. 10, 2013. During the span of her stay we experienced three Executive Directors, two Life Guidance Directors, two Financial Directors, two Head Chefs, several Front Desk employees, a maintenance man, a bus driver (who has not been replaced), two head chefs and several care giving staff. This lack of consistency resulted in a lack of care for the residents on the Life Guidance floor where our mother resided. As the management changed Atria Burlingame became a dishonest money hungry facility that protected itself rather than their residents!

In an effort to provide for our mother’s advancing dementia condition we sought out a facility that would provide for her needs. Each director assured us that Atria could care for her as her symptoms progressed for the duration of her life. Each director also assured us that their facility had a Hospice waiver which would compliment the care needed in the final stages of life. Unfortunately, the more symptoms that appeared, the less care she received as detailed here:

-As her legs became weaker and she became wheelchair bound, we were informed that she could not continue living at Atria because she needed a two-person assist which was against Atria “policy”.

-As she lost the coordination to use her eating utensils and needed to be fed, we were informed that she could not continue living at Atria because it was against their “policy” to feed their residents.

-The directors suggested the use of finger foods which they never consistently prepared for her. Foods such as soups, spaghetti, stews, etc. are not finger foods. Finger foods that sporadically came were sandwiches with potato chips – by no means nutritious!

Because one or more members of our family were able to be on the Atria premises daily, we were able to witness mom’s care. Our communications with the latest directors in person or by e-mail, although always cordial, were non productive and often not even addressed. Please note the following incidents:

-Upon visiting mom one afternoon, my sister found mom’s room locked with her and one of the male caregivers inside. Finding this event completely inappropriate, we immediately brought this incident to the Executive Director and the Life Guidance Director who explained the innocent reason for the locked door and the promise that they would look into this on a regional basis, not just their own local “policy”. Nothing more came of this.

-Recently mom was left unattended sitting on the edge of her bed about 5:00 a.m. while the caregiver on duty went to check on another resident. Mom slipped off the bed. This should never have happened as it was documented in her care plan that she was unable to support herself at anytime. Fortunately, there were no injuries. Our emails to the Executive Director were never addressed, and the email to the Life Guidance Director was acknowledged and he noted that he was not at work and would look into the matter upon his return and then get back to us. The Executive Director, who was not even on site, denied that this could have happened and dismissed the incident.

It became very clear to us that our mom was becoming too much work for them and that our continual presence was not appreciated or wanted. Following these last incidents we were summoned into a joint meeting with both directors at which time they announced that they could and would no longer care for our mom and that we would have to find another care facility for her. Although we were stunned by this announcement, we quickly realized that mom should not stay in a care facility that did not want to care for its residents. Without realizing it, Atria forced us to find a facility that DID care about its residents, which we did. It truly has been a blessing in disguise. The main reason for this letter, of course, was the care of our mother. Please know that there are many, many issues that directly relate to Atria’s relationship with us, her daughters (lack of communication, care levels, fee schedules, financial notifications, monetary refunds, termination notice, removal of personal property). Now that mom has moved, these issues have become moot for us, but not for those still residing at Atria Burlingame. Actually, our bargaining power was stripped from us by the directors as they labeled each issue as a “policy misunderstanding” , a “miscommunication”, and finally a “You are wrong!”. The contract “Residency Agreement” we signed on 2-14-13 does not discuss the “policies” that the directors continued to refer to and stated as reasons for our mother no longer residing there.

In closing, the “patient oriented” Atria we first experienced became the “policy oriented” Atria by the time we moved mom away at the expense of each resident, especially our mother!

Your comments regarding your mother's experience are very concerning to us. We would like to discuss this matter with you personally to get a better understanding of the situation. Please contact us directly at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com, including Atria Burlingame in the subject line.

Caring44611 June 07, 2013

Atria Burlingame from the outside looked okay, but when you get inside it wasn't really much better. The rooms were dimly lit and extremely old-fashioned with old tiled floors. They were very unappealing. Regarding the staff though, we were only able to talk to the managers who took us on tour and they were very friendly.

I am very happy to say that, since your review, Atria Burlingame has undergone an extensive renovation and now boasts new modern common areas that the residents seem to be enjoying very much. I encourage you to stop by for another visit any time to see for yourself. If you have any questions at all, please let us know at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

Tiffany6 December 08, 2012

Atria Burlingame was not designed very well for Alzheimer's patients. The food was absolutely dreadful. The staff would not assist with feeding. They would be very extremely understaffed. They had 30 patients and they only have one person working at night. I would really caution anyone with a relative with Alzheimer's who's going there because they would not be able to accommodate the individual for a very long time. My father needed more help and they were unable to provide it. It did have odor and smell, definitely not clean. It's not secure either because it's really easy for patients to get off the floor. It was horrible for being an extremely expensive place.

We're very sorry to hear about your experience at Atria Burlingame and we will use your review to make improvements wherever possible. You are correct that our staff do not feed the residents. This helps maintain their independence, which is very important to our residents and their families. We regularly assess our residents to make sure that our community is appropriate for their needs, and family members are notified if a resident is having difficulty eating or is not eating enough.

I am concerned about the unpleasant smell you wrote about. Atria takes pride in offering communities that are clean and odor free at all times, communities that are inviting to guests and residents. I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate staff to ensure that we maintain the highest standards of excellence. If you have any further feedback to share, we would love to hear from you. You can always contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com (be sure to include the community name).

ktac93 July 13, 2012

The care facility seemed to be fine at first, but problems began to occur after only a couple months after our family member moved in. This family member suffered a fall and since has had dementia-like symptoms. The symptoms continued to heighten during her stay at this facility, and the caretakers did nothing to help her adjust or feel better. She was considered too difficult to care for, after several issues occurred with her not "behaving" even though these occurrences where happening because she was having trouble remembering. She fell again while staying at this facility, and was treated harshly by the employees in charge of taking care of her. One of her more precious belongings disappeared at some point. I don't mean to rag completely on the facility though, because it seemed like there were definitely some very understanding and patient employees that truly cared about her. Overall, then center probably wasn't a good fit for her because she needed more care than it offered, but she was still not treated the way she probably should have been.

Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate hearing from friends and family so that we can constantly improve the service we provide to our residents. I am sharing your review with the appropriate people at Atria Burlingame who can help ensure that all of our residents are being provided with the highest level of respect and quality of care. If you would like to share further details about your family member's stay with Atria, we welcome you to email us directly at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and include the community name in your message.

anonymousinSF June 22, 2011

The facility's location on Washington Park is lovely, especially for those who are mobile or have someone who can come and take them out. Burlingame Avenue is also nearby, which has lovely shops and sights to see "“very appealing for those who want a little outing close to home.

About 18 months ago, they opened a memory care unit in the facility; it's run by a former care provider who has a real knack for working with people who have dementia.

The main part of the assisted living facility is comparable to what you would find somewhere else"” not really distinguishing in any way. The staff is professional, but doesn't give you the sense that the community has a unique personality or offering.

The assisted living activities offered are predictable and "˜uninspired'. However, in the memory unit, they use themed activity boxes to engage residents. For instance, a person who enjoyed crafts might be shown some yarns of various colors and textures, be asked to sort some buttons by size and color, and have a chance to run a handknit baby blanket across their hands.

Overall, Atria Burlingame is more appealing than some other facilities in the Burlingame/San Mateo/Millbrae area; there aren't that many choices in the area. But there is little that is extraordinary about it.

KiahBlack June 10, 2011

Visited this facility

When my family arrived to visit our grandmother we where greeted by friendly and assertive staff that attentively alerted my grandmother of our arrival. When she came down she told us about her stay so far at Atria and said it had been a really pleasant experience. She really enjoyed the social aspect! Though very happy to see us, we could tell even out visit was holding her from doing back some activity she was looking forward to. Overall I have to say my grandmother seems very comfortable and very happy. She has many new friends and has lots of things to keep her busy. She even said the food isn't bad!

From Atria Burlingame

Set within the City of Trees on the San Francisco Peninsula, Atria Burlingame offers a progressive community for active older adults. We’re located across the street from Washington Park, which provides scenic views for nearly every apartment. We are also convenient to the shops and restaurants of downtown Burlingame and San Francisco, with easy access to the San Francisco International Airport. Residents delight in our warm environment and intimate, family atmosphere. Our 24-hour staff sees every resident request as an opportunity to deliver a more fulfilling experience, and we’re always ready to provide discreet assistance whenever needed. We also offer specialized memory care services in our signature Life Guidance® neighborhood. We welcome you to visit us today to see more.

Atria Burlingame is located in a quiet neighborhood adjacent to the historic Washington park and Burlingame Recreation center. We are within 5 blocks of the Burlingame Cal Train station and the charming Burlingame downtown which offers fine-dining and shopping experiences.

Features of Atria Burlingame

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Italian
  • Spanish
  • Tagalog

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Staff patient ratio: 1 to 5