Harbor View Home Assisted Living

3900 Shore Parkway, Brooklyn, NY, 11235

Reviews of Harbor View Home Assisted Living

October 25, 2012

By lordofshadow5

It seemed really great at the facility and the people were very nice. I wasn't really sure what to think of the facility as a whole, but I liked it a lot from what i saw. The people there seemed quite happy and the food looked great. It was a very good facility.

October 19, 2011

By Ginka's Daughter

Harbor View Assisted Living is an apartment-style complex in the Sheepshead Bay section of Brooklyn, New York catering to senior citizens who need a little extra help with the activities of daily living. It is close to the bay and many of the apartments have a view of the water from the windows, which is one of the nicer features about these units. I was a frequent visitor to Harbor View when I lived in New York, as several of my former neighbors ended up living there after they could no longer stay on their own.Harbor View offers the basic services that you would expect to find at any assisted living facility, which includes help with dressing, bathing, medication management, transferring and toileting. The residents also get three well-balanced meals a day, activities and transportation to medical appointments. Some physicians do come to Harbor View, so it isn't always necessary to leave the premises. The food is not very fancy and there isn't a large variety, but they do provide Kosher meals for the residents of the Jewish faith. Most of the meals are prepared with very little seasoning or salt, so it does taste a little bland if you are used to more robust flavors.Since Harbor View is located in the metropolitan New York area, it is very expensive for anyone choosing to live there. And while you do get a nice, clean room, it is extremely small and may present a problem to anyone who is moving there from a larger apartment or house. You are not able to fit a double or queen bed in most of the apartments and those in wheelchairs have to be creative in the type of furniture they decide to bring. This is not a criticism as much as a cautionary comment. The rooms are clean and simple and it is in a nice neighborhood. It is close to Coney Island Hospital, so healthcare is pretty accessible.Most of the residents seem clean and well-cared for, but many of them are depressed. There are auxiliary services available (for an extra fee) that includes counseling and psychiatric services. My personal opinion is the residents would be well served by arranging for more activities that involved interaction with outside groups.Harbor View is one of the better assisted living facilities in Brooklyn, and if you do have to relocate to one, this should be on your list to check out.

October 05, 2011

By Dedicated Heart

Harbor View is located in the heart of Sheepshead Bay. It faces the water as well as the Belt Parkway. In my opinion this facility is a bit on the dreary side. I was not pleased with the administration. I found that the director seemed somewhat annoyed when having to answer the many questions I had. I did not get a warm feeling at all. They are the only assisted living in brooklyn that accepts Medicaid, so I was hoping that it would be a place I would feel comfortable leaving my loved one. The other major concern I had with this facility is the fact that it is so close to the highway. My fear was that my loved one who suffered from dementia would wander outside, as the security did not seem to sound. I would not reccomend this facility.

September 29, 2011

By Phoebe818

I visited this facility with a friend whose grandmother is living in. It was my first time to visit such place and I was impressed with everything that I saw there. I had always have a negative feeling towards nursing home and I thought this one will be the same. I was wrong, it was probably the best place for an elderly person to be. Starting with the staff, they were very welcoming and helpful; one of them walked us my friend's grandmother's room. The room was a nice size with breathtaking view. The facility also provides personal assistance to its residents from bathing to legal counseling. Most importantly, it has full healthcare that the residents can use anytime. Other than those facilities that they offer, I think it is crucial to see that these elderly people are comfortable and healthy as they are being taken care of, and they have friends around them as company.

Photos of Harbor View Home Assisted Living

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: 331-F-282

About Harbor View Home Assisted Living

Welcome to Harbor View Home Community

For more than 40 years, Harbor View Home has been the community where seniors turned to for the best care in New York. For all these years we have never stopped working to earn your trust and approval, and together, we will continue doing so for many more years to come.

At Harbor View you will be treated like family. Our staff has been together for years and will welcome you in with open arms. Your every need will be tended to with the sensitivity and dignity you deserve. Doctors and nurses are available to make sure that our residents stay healthy and well. We provide a full range of services including medication assistance, bathing and showering, social activities and much more.

European chefs will present you a culinary experience that is not only delicious and filling but is also custom designed to meet your dietary needs.

Our on-site physical and occupational therapy department is staffed with a team of the most dedicated licensed therapists available. We never settle for “good enough” and our therapists don’t stop until the job is done.

The days are just packed at Harbor View! There is never a dull moment at Harbor View! Our library is always current and our weekly theatre group is sure to provide entertainment and companionship. Enjoy the steady parade of comedians, soloists, musicians, and contemporary artists who grace our theater. Whatever your taste, whatever your interest there is sure to be something for you.

The doors of our synagogue and chapel offer a full range of services. Beautician services will make sure you always look your best as your stroll through our patio gardens, relax on our spacious sundeck, or just spend some leisurely time in one of our many social and recreational areas.

Come see why so many people are proud to call Harbor View their home. One step inside and you will indeed feel that you are home. Please give us a call and schedule a free tour.

As our name indicates, we sit majestically overlooking the New York Harbor, in the Sheepshead Bay neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY. Our facility provides both independent and assisted living and has earned the reputation of providing the highest quality care in a most warm and inviting environment.

Map of Harbor View Home Assisted Living