Ocean Park

984 Parkview Dr., Brookings, OR, 97415

Reviews of Ocean Park

redwooddancer January 27, 2012

First, my qualifications to make my comments: my friend moved here almost three months ago and I was her un-paid caregiver for several years prior. So I have no financial incentive to speak anything other than the plain truth. I am also an RN, with current licenses in both Oregon and California, and I have knowledge of this field.

The concerns posted by the first reviewer are all potentially valid, yet I question the means of resolving them. With all the time spent writing such a long review, I wonder if it couldn't have been better spent in following through in resolving any of those concerns? Also, many complicating reasons could be behind these concerns, but I don't see any evidence of this being discussed in the review.

For example, many questions come to mind about the resident who was potentially given the wrong medication. What are angiebpaz's qualifications to assess whether this is indeed true? We also are not told whether this resident was herself able to make an accurate assessment. Remember, the ENTIRE facility is a secure dementia facility: this means a resident is required to have a diagnosis of dementia to be admitted. One would not know this from angiebpaz's review. If all residents have a diagnosis of dementia, can any of them be relied on for a clear assessment of anything? This is not to minimize any potential problems, but this fact must be included in any balanced discussion. In another concern, angiebpaz talks about a medical device not being received in an apparently timely manner, despite being prescribed by the resident's physician. What we aren't told was what that device was, so I can only guess at this. Several questions immediately arise, based on my many years working in healthcare: Was the device something that had to be specially ordered? Was it, perhaps, out of stock? Brookings, OR, while beautiful, is not a major population center by any measure and things can take a long time to get here. Who was paying for this ordered device? Perhaps the resident was on Medicaid and this particular device was not covered? Perhaps there was an error in the prescription itself; we all should know by now that doctors are human like the rest of us, and are therefore just as capable as us of error. Hopefully you can see where I am going with this: I don't believe, that based on what the reviewer angiebpaz has written, that angiebpaz is necessarily qualified to give such a negative review, or for that matter, perhaps any review at all, unless based ENTIRELY on concerns with her relative or friend. The only part of angiebpaz's review I can honestly agree with is her description of the facility, although the one thing I thought too harsh was the push for grass, especially since many of the residents are unstable and the facility is on a hill. There are garden areas to view and spend time in, there is even a bed with strawberries for the residents to harvest in season. Many roses surround the facility and residents delight in seeing and smelling them.

Now for my review: My former neighbor has been in the facility for almost three months and seems to be settling in well. The facility even allowed her to move in with her cat. I visit one to two times a week and I never call ahead. I also come on different days of the week and weekend, yet I have never in this time seen anything amiss. This doesn't mean nothing ever happens, but that staff deal with incidents in a professional manner. Staff are also demonstrably loving and truly caring. There was an event yesterday in which everyone helped out with direct resident care, even the maintenance man, the cook, the housekeepers and the front office! This isn't a one-time occurrence, but I have seen this many times. The entire facility recently went through a carpet cleaning that took a week and floors look very good. Residents are kept clean and well-groomed, rooms, halls and common areas are clean, uncluttered and well-lit. Residents are not unreasonable restrained and are allowed to move where they want and to associate with whom they want. Staff are loving and professional with all residents, but especially in the constant guidance and redirection of the more severely memory impacted residents. Honestly, it would be "easier" to restrain someone who constantly wanders into other residents rooms and takes their things, or who is combative, but this facility doesn't take that route. Residents in this facility are all equally treated with respect. Family are expected to participate in the care of their family members. The facility does the best it can, when there is limited or no family to help out. The one thing I think could be improved would be to offer more fresh fruits and vegetables and less processed food. This obviously would not be appropriate for all residents, but I still think it should be pursued. Another thing to note is that I believe many of the residents are receiving Medicaid. The rules for this support are extensive and arcane, but all should know that no one is turned away from this facility due to troubled finances, unlike ALL other senior residences in the local area, which limit the number of Medicaid residents they will accept. I would give this facility five stars.

crboyd December 13, 2011

I don't know where the other review got their information, but I disagree with most of what they said. My husband has been a resident since Feb. 2010. And I do not believe that he could get better care anywhere else in the area. In my opinion the staff, caregivers,kitchen, laundry,maintenance and office help are all number one. They really care about the residents and family members. When I had my husband at home, I was getting stressed out and worried, but Ocean Park took all that away for me. My husband is happy and that makes me happy. THANK YOU ALL AT OCEAN PARK.

About Ocean Park

Ocean Park is an assisted living facility in Brookings, OR that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact Ocean Park for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Location of Ocean Park