It’s almost 2 years since my parents moved to Brandywine. Like every transition, there are blips with getting used to a new place and new routine. But at this point, both of my parents are at ease, content, safe and well cared for. My mother kept thinking of Brandywine as a sacrifice she needed to make for my father, but when she was in the hospital and rehab, she said “I can’t wait to go home” referring to her new home at Brandywine.
I had a good feeling about Brandywine from the first time I met the Senior Administrator (who is also a nurse). She made all of us feel very comfortable and listened to all our concerns from size and type of room to finances and cost. She told us that the main goal was to have residents “age in place”. Even when other facilities feel the need to transfer to a nursing home, Brandywine will try to keep the resident. The facility looks like a resort with plenty of activities and compassionate nurses and aides to assist. Events are run by young, active fun loving people. You can see the lift that it gives the residents. All the employees know the residents by name along with their preferences and routines.
Some important things to consider:
• Doctor’s appointments can be arranged by the facility and a driver can take the resident.
• Nursing is 24/7. Most facilities have nurses during the day but evening and weekends, nurses are only on call. There is a doctor for the facility that typically comes once a week.
• Medication can be administered by the nurses. The pharmacy delivers 2 times a day.
• A separate wing for Dementia / Alzheimer patients. The director of the unit is very affectionate and aware of the resident’s needs. She makes each person feel special while bringing out the most they can do.
• Somerset Medical Center is the local hospital with excellent rankings. I can personally vouch for their outstanding service and care when both of my parent’s needed it.
• Beauty Salon on site.
• Physical Therapy on site. This is an excellent perk. When someone returns from the hospital and acute rehab, the PT provides the sub-acute care to get the resident back to normal. Therapy is also available without prescription (for an extra charge).
• Exercise classes for all levels.
• Laundry is done by Brandywine but there are “personal” laundry rooms if the resident prefers to do some items themselves.
• Restaurant style dining with 2 new choices each day at each meal as well as a standard menu.
• Jitney bus service to Church on Sunday.
• Bus rides to local stores, restaurants, bowling, movies, plays, etc.
• Some religious services scheduled on site.
• Entertainment—weekly cocktail parties with music and special events.
• Picturesque outdoor garden with pond, waterfall and seating.
• Make sure you are comfortable with the commute from your house to Brandywine. You’ll be visiting and coming often!
Communication is excellent. I tend to do things by email and would always receive a quick response to any of my questions or concerns. Our family stress level is down and our satisfaction level up. Brandywine is the best decision that we made.