Country Meadows of South Hills (Pittsburgh-South Fayette Township)

3570 Washington Pike, Bridgeville, PA, 15017

Reviews of Country Meadows of South Hills (Pittsburgh-South Fayette Township)

Anonymous108629350 June 21, 2015

Country Meadows were too expensive. It looked nice, but I think the rooms were kind of small. It has been around for a little bit, so the rooms could use some updating. The dining area looked pretty.

Thank you for considering Country Meadows during your search. Our campus is undergoing renovations to several areas and we invite you for a return visit to check out the updates. Please contact us if we can be of assistance, whether you need advice or even a reference to another retirement provider. We appreciate you paying us a visit. Best of luck to you.

Douglas5 April 28, 2015

We put my mother-in-law in Country Meadows. We like the facilities, and their services are very good. She loves it. They do everything they can for the people in there. When she first went in, she was reluctant to do anything, and now she is doing everything. They always include her. They make sure she has her meals or medication. They check on her 24/7. The people are so nice, and my mother-in-law likes everybody there. She has a shared room with two beds that are separated by a large bath. The dining room is very nice and clean. She loves all the food. There are activities going on all day long from 8:00 in the morning to 8:00 at night. They have church services, sing-alongs, bingo, horse races, games, and touch therapy. I would recommend this to everyone. They keep her sugar level in the right area. They check her three times a day and make sure that she eats right because she is a diabetic. She has been there for two months now.

We love to read success stories like this one-thank you for sharing! This is a perfect example of how life gets better at Country Meadows

Lovemymom27 March 25, 2015

My family member is here after a four-month stay at another facility. The "other facility" was awful. Country Meadows is an older facility but the staff that is caring for my family member is wonderful. Calls are usually answered within 3-5 minutes if not sooner, even when my family member's roommate calls constantly. The first weekend my family member was there I was asked if there was anything they could get ME! I almost didn't know how to respond. They were so nice to me. Ice is freely available as is coffee, water, and lemonade. Visitors can help themselves to ice cream and ginger ale for their loved one. The doctors, nurses, and aides are wonderful. Are there some that are not as good as others? Sure, but you'll have that anywhere. They have a wonderful Bistro that is open daily so I didn't have to leave to go buy food when I stayed all day. This place is well thought out and very well run.

Wow-thank you for your kind note. We are blessed to have a wonderful team of co-workers who give their all to offer the best care to our residents AND their family members. Our residents, co-workers and visitors especially enjoy the ice cream available 24/7 on every one of our campuses. Please don’t hesitate to ask a co-worker if your family member, or you, need absolutely anything. Thank you for choosing us.

Caring96227750 December 03, 2014

My mother-in-law is at Country Meadows. She has been there for about a year now. The place is nice and clean, but it is very expensive. She is in a shared room, but she is by herself. The room is big in size, and there are nice furnishings. The staff is good, but I really think they're short-staffed. They do have a calendar of activities up for the residents. Regarding their food, I believe they do get adequate meals, and they're very nice meals. They will work with you if you talk to them with whatever diet that you need; you do have that option. The grounds are beautiful, and the community is beautiful. The only problem that I see is that sometimes they have part-time workers that come in on a weekend that aren't really trained that much. The rooms look beautiful, they're nice and clean, but sometimes you do have to bring the smell to their attention.

Visitors are often surprised that our food is very good. Country Meadows is proud of our culinary team which consists of highly trained chefs and even a full-time baker. We truly believe that our residents deserve the best. Thank you for noticing.

Every co-worker, whether full-time or part-time, is required to complete a large amount of training, and additional opportunities are available to them to help advance their careers. If you notice someone on our team who might need a bit more education, please share that with a member of our management team. We want our team to be the best! Thank you for choosing Country Meadows.

lisaisme October 29, 2014

I myself was a patient. I have very mixed feelings some very good and some very bad. I had the best wound nurse (Wendy). Some aides were good and some were not. Follow-up from admin. was not the best. I had some awesome PT and OT. I had to laugh because when it came to the last day I got less therapy. I was told I only got 1/2 hour which okay - if thats what I get I would take well I got like 7 MINUTES if that. When I was leaving the nurse was annoyed because they had to go over my medication list which the pill amount was false, I had ?s however I was told he had to give other patients meds and didnt have time, I also was told I would have an exit interview on my stay well that didnt happen, Well things cant improve if patients are not giving a chance to voice there point of view of there staff. I do thank the indviduals there who do care about there patients and there jobs. Some need to move on we are people and should be treated as so. This one thing that happened still bothers me today. I was walking and on a different hall this elderly women was in her wheelchair in the hall yelling nurse nurse I adv her I wasnt a nurse she said she wanted to go to bed. Iwasnt far from the nursing station I looked up and the aide was there I told her what the women wanted she said yeah I know. I said maybe then you should help her. She just looked @ me. When I walked back again which was sometime the women was still in the hall!!!

Thank you for your note and for choosing Country Meadows. We’re sorry you had these experiences and thank you for sharing them. We value input from former residents very much since you can provide insights we might miss. We encourage you to please reach out to Carolyn Bercosky, our Vice President of Skilled Nursing Services, to share your concerns. She can be reached at 412.257.2474. Thank you.

LovelyLady5 March 31, 2014

Country Meadows was fine. It wasn't quite as nice because it's a little bit older. It seemed like their presentation and the food were good. They had a lot of activities going on. My father-in-law was there, and it was quite adequate at that time. The sanitation was OK.

Thank you for choosing Country Meadows to care for your family member. While caring for our residents is our number one priority, we also are undergoing renovations to many areas of our campus. Please pay us a visit some time to see the updates.

Caring75039450 January 30, 2014

We had a great visit at Country Meadows. We really like the facility, but it was out of our price range. The place is very clean and nice. The people there seemed very friendly. I would definitely recommend this facility. The other thing that we really like is that they are connected to a nursing home so that was probably one of the things that really sold us.

Thank you for your visit, and for your kind comments.

Caring75279050 January 18, 2014

We were referred to Country Meadows by someone who has somebody there. The place was nice. They did have four floors but it's complicated to get around there. I just thought it was too elaborate and you have to take elevators to go up and down and everywhere. I also thought that place was sort of too overdone. It looked like four hotels put together, so I didn't like it. Also, when I first walked in, the staff wasn't friendly. I wasn't even greeted by a regular staff; instead I was greeted by one of their residents. I would recommend them to somebody else.

Thank you for your note. Country Meadows is a large Continuing Care Retirement Community which offers all levels of care for seniors. This does make our community quite sizeable to accommodate a number seniors as well as common areas for dining, playing games, socializing and therapies. There are many senior care providers out there and we hope you find the right choice to meet your needs. Best of luck.

GNorman233 November 15, 2013

My mom was at Country Meadows for rehabilitation for her hip. Everything from the therapy, to the food, to the cleanliness of the rooms and common areas was excellent. My mom made a full recovery from her surgery and rehab and now is back at home. I would highly reccommend Country Meadows to friends, family, or anyone looking for quality care.

We love to read success stories like this and are thrilled to see folks return home! Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

bossslj October 30, 2013

Very strong odor of urine throughout the hallways(you know what that means....), incompetent and very rude staff, call bells ringing for hours with nobody answering the residents needs, staff acting like they are bothered with helping the residents. I am appalled and disgusted with everything about this place.

Thank you for vising Country Meadows. I’m sorry that you had a negative experience. This seems unusual compared to other family feedback.

Country Meadows prides itself on hiring caring, qualified staff members whose number one concern is our residents. Our nursing center has a staffing ratio higher than the state requires and we utilize a rigorous pre-employment screening process to ensure we have the best caregivers working with our residents. I work in this building nearly every day and have not noticed incidents such as those you reference. I encourage you to contact me directly so we can further discuss your concerns, and if necessary, I can look into these allegations. Both mine and Country Meadows first priority is the health and safety of our residents and co-workers.

Thank you for your comment.

Caroline Bercosky-Vice President, Skilled Nursing Services, 412.257.2474

Caring9324 September 23, 2013

I went to see Country Meadows and they had a very positive staff. They were working for the facility rather than being rented out. The people were very happy with their care. However, it seemed like it was a very tired facility. The people there seemed to be older and sicker. They did had an at home program which I might be interested though not at this point.

Buck O'Really September 27, 2012

The facilities were are clean, the grounds were well maintained and the staff was helpful. Food was ok, but I am a fairly picky eater. They had excellent ice-cream cones, which they seemed quite proud of. The seniors there seemed happy, and if not happy at least content. This was not run like a prison, as some are. The seniors were allowed as much freedom as they could safely manage. At the same time they were all well taken care of. Over all I would rate this as an excellent facility, and although I hope never to be placed in such a place, this one does not seem like a bad place to live by any standard.

jonathan43571 September 20, 2012

Country Meadows is a nice facility and it is located in a very lovely area of Pittsburgh. I thought this facility was nicely decorated, although it did seem a bit institutional to me compared to others we had visited. The residents seemed happy and content, and there seemed to be many activities for them to enjoy. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and they seemed to genuinly care about the residents. I thought the rooms were a decent size, but again, a little institutional as far as decoration. The food seemed nice, nothing special, but they would accomodate special diets. Overall this was a nice facility.

Mike11 July 14, 2012

Very clean, friendly staff, no odors, residents were up and about, individual rooms were well kept.

dear one of Mort July 06, 2012

The facility is clean, the decorations aren't bad and the staff seemed friendly and caring. But it had a very institutional feeling. I would not willingly place my husband there nor would I willingly become a resident there.

Thank you for visiting Country Meadows of South Hills. As a provider of senior living services ranging from Independent Living to Personal Care, Memory Support, Restorative and Rehabilitative Care as well as Skilled Nursing, one of our greatest challenges is to achieve and maintain a comfortable, homelike atmosphere. Our staff works to update accommodations and we are working on several campus renovations. However, by far, our greatest concern is to provide cutting-edge, quality care and services to our residents. To achieve this goal, we have many experts on our staff to provide guidance in programs for persons with Alzheimer's disease, rehabilitation, restorative care and more. I'm proud to share that we were recently honored with a "Best of the Best" award from the Assisted Living Federation of America for our programming.

I welcome you to contact me directly so we can further discuss and address your concern. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We welcome all comments and view them as an opportunity to strengthen our organization. Thank you, Suzanne Keddie -- Executive Director at (412) 257-2855.

WeArePennState May 18, 2012

I was extremely impressed with the facility at Country Meadows. I had envisioned a worst case scenario for an assisted living facility. The dark and dreary, smelly and cramped rooms I had pictured are not at all what I saw. I am glad Country Meadows has changed my mind on the perception I once had. The staff seemed very knowledgeable and friendly, you can tell that they enjoy their jobs and that they know what they are talking about. The facilities were clean and well taken care of. I was impressed in the number of activities residents could be a part of and how much they tried to make it feel like home. I felt good about the idea of my grandmother choosing this place to live. The staff also made it seem as though they would be very inviting to any family that comes to visit. I would not mind coming here to visit my grandmother daily.

From Country Meadows of South Hills (Pittsburgh-South Fayette Township)

Impressive trees pepper the 23-acre property Country Meadows of South Hills (Pittsburgh/South Fayette) property. This community provides a range of options so residents never have to move if they don't want to. Here you'll find independent living, assisted living, memory support options, plus a 202- bed skilled nursing area (nursing). This brings a lot of comfort to residents and their families, because they know they won't have to make difficult decisions about housing more than once.

Country Meadows of South Hills is in South Fayette township, near Washington Pike, a beautiful region of Pittsburgh. Nearby you'll find restaurants, churches, theaters, and shopping. The community even has its own stop on the Port Authority Mass Transit bus line, so residents can get around the area quite easily, traveling to shows at the Little Lake Theatre in Canonsburg. (And as a bonus, they ride for free.)

On campus, residents enjoy working at the gift shop and classes at the computer center. Also popular: ice cream cones from the on-site ice cream parlor, enjoyed on the sun porch with shaded pergola walkway. Evenings are lively with social hour, movie nights, and even a pool sharks club.

Country Meadows Retirement Communities is a multi-generational family business, founded by former Pennsylvania Governor George M. Leader and wife Mary Jane. For over four decades, the organization has remained family-owned, with the founders still sitting on the board. Adult children Michael Leader (CEO), David Leader (COO), and brother-in-law, Ted Janeczek (CFO), now run the establishment. There are a total of 10 communities owned by Country Meadows -- nine in Pennsylvania, and one in Frederick, Maryland.

The organization's family mission is to keep residents self-sufficient and independent as long as possible. How independent is independent? The answer differs for each resident. As we age, we lose ability to perform certain tasks -- but there are other tasks we can still do. Country Meadows assesses each individual to find out what he can do and where he needs help. Country Meadows meets residents where they're at. For example, a man who can no longer drive might be able to help with directions; a woman who can't use a knife to chop carrots safely might be able to fold napkins or tear lettuce.

Country Meadows staff also customizes exercise programs to each individual's ability. Classes are instructed according to levels of proficiency for optimum physical, mental, and spiritual benefits.

Country Meadows strives to help residents find meaning in their lives. The staff knows that giving back to the community can be extremely gratifying to seniors, even as they themselves are receiving assistance. For example, a resident might need assistance getting dressed because it hurts to lift her arms -- but that very same resident might be able to participate in an arthritis advocacy walk. She is giving back and making a difference, and her contribution matters. Country Meadows has partnered with numerous charitable organizations to make opportunities like this possible, because they know that senior lives are made richer when they can help others.

One secret of Country Meadows' Success: they recruit and retain the best staff in the area. They've been deemed "Best Place to Work in Pennsylvania" eight times between 2001-2011. This is no accident: Country Meadows management strives to create a culture of fulfillment and passion by providing ongoing training, education, and career enhancement opportunities. Employees are happy to be here, and families notice that they are gracious, approachable, and helpful.

Community Features

• Skilled nursing center
  • Close proximity to libraries, senior centers, banks, churches, temples, doctors' offices, veterinarians' offices
  • Shared areas for amusing guests, mingling, and unwinding
  • Gazebo
  • Sun porch
  • Shaded pergola walkway
  • Fitness center: equipment specially designed for seniors
  • Computer center with access and instruction
  • Housing organized according to peer groups
  • Ice cream bar
  • Gift shop: resident-staffed
  • Beauty shop
  • Barber shop

* Apartment complexes are grouped according to level of care

According to Director of Advertising, Mandi Block, "It's all about you." Classes are organized by differing levels of ability. Some activities are actually run by the seniors -- for example, one small group regularly watches opera on DVDs together.

• Nautilus: exercises are devised for seniors
  • Tai Chi
  • Gentle yoga
  • Wii bowling league: all locations of Country Meadows compete against each other annually
  • Additional computer games include golfing, tennis, and baseball Life-long learning programs
  • Balloon toss
  • Life-long learning programs
  • Volunteer opportunities. Walking clubs for exercise and fundraising: ten cents per mile donated by Country Meadows on behalf of senior walkers for the Alzheimer's Association and the Arthritis Foundation
  • Art classes
  • Painting courses
  • Piano lessons
  • Cooking presentations
  • Current events exchanges
  • Support groups including groups for grief, Alzheimer's, and memory care
  • Social hour
  • Picnics
  • Field trips to museums
  • Organized travel ventures

Services

• Devoted fitness staff to assist with exercises
  • Day-long dining: snacks and beverages
  • Regular, high-caliber meals served three times per day
  • Dressing assistance
  • Speech therapy
  • Massage therapy
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Weekly linen services
  • Transportation to appointments, errands, shopping, and church
  • Full-time, onsite chaplains with referrals to clerics for other religions

Benefits

• Potential residents learn total costs immediately, as the rental fee is all-inclusive with services
  • Rental fee covers all utilities plus cable television and wireless internet access
  • No buy-in fee
  • 24-hour trained, compassionate staff
  • Pet-friendly

Country Meadows has proven through four decades that it walks its talk. Goals are to:

• Promote a Genuine Sense of Community
Housing Categories:
  • Independent Living
  • Assisted Living
  • Skilled Nursing Care
  • In-home care services (our company also operates an in-home care agency serving non-residents in their homes)
Cleaning Services:
  • Laundry services: Clothing (staff washes residents' clothes)
  • Laundry services: Linens (staff washes residents sheets/linens)
  • Private laundry (residents can wash own laundry on site)
  • Housekeeping (staff provides housekeeping services to residents)
Activities:
  • Organized offsite activities (outings, etc.)
  • Arts
  • Woodworking
  • Crafts
  • Games (bingo, bridge, etc.)
  • Religious services
  • Bocce ball
  • Happy Hour
  • Themed dining events
Guest Services:
Pets Allowed:
Dining Options:
  • In-room kitchenettes
  • In-room full kitchens (includes oven, etc.)
  • Meals delivered to residents' rooms
In-Room Technology/Entertainment:
Privacy Options
  • Private
  • Semi-private
Transportation Options

Features of Country Meadows of South Hills (Pittsburgh-South Fayette Township)

• Spanish

Location of Country Meadows of South Hills (Pittsburgh-South Fayette Township)