Brookdale Woodward Estates

14997 Health Center Drive, Bowie, MD, 20716

Reviews of Brookdale Woodward Estates

February 16, 2016

By Mother Hubbard

Both my uncle and my aunt stayed at Brookdale Woodward Estates. It has a very nice, very engaged, and robust staff. Basically, the staff members are all friendly, and they really engage the residents in multiple ways. They really have made it a family atmosphere there. The dining area is very clean and very inviting. The food looks very appetizing and looks like there’s a large variety, but their dinner meals are often sandwiches, which is a complaint. But, the meals are very appetizing, and they get a fair helping of food, including a nice salad. Basically, they can receive as much as they want, and people are very good about bringing more or supplying desserts. One issue I had as we were reviewing the contract for my aunt was that they were going to increase her charges because once they got into Brookdale from Emeritus, they had a different billing system. Instead of doing leveled care, they were now doing individual care or whatever the person called for based on their needs. The problem I had was that they said that they were going to increase charges for my aunt because she was a diabetic and was getting diabetic meals, but she doesn’t. She gets the same meals that everybody else does, and there’s no special diet. I never saw anything done differently for her. So, while on paper it says that she would have a diabetic diet, there’s nothing different in her choices of food than any other resident. This was my complaint and the reason why I was looking at moving them as early as November. From the beginning, and it continued throughout, they had difficulties in getting the staff to be responsive when they would page them to change my uncle. He was incontinent and toward the very end, he wasn’t getting changed more than three times a day, and that’s major problem. When he passed, he had sores on his bottom because my aunt wasn’t able to get them to come and change him as often as they asked for it. At the very beginning, they assured us that they understood that under no circumstances was my aunt to be in that situation. They changed the billing system and basically charged two increases last year, but I have not seen any improvement in staff accountability for the things they need to do to warrant that kind of increase.

January 14, 2016

By Loving Daughter22

When we visited Brookdale Woodward Estates, they were in the middle of construction and doing a lot of reconstruction of different rooms. I thought the facility was a little bit large and thus would be confusing for my mother. I also thought that the rooms were too confining. The director gave me a tour. She was fine, engaging, and professional. The dining room was fine and looked very large.

August 10, 2015

By Crystal7

During my visit Emeritus at Woodward Estates, the staff there was very pleasant and friendly. The people working there were very positive about their work and enjoyed what they were doing. They were also very helpful. On the other hand, I liked the size and the layout of the rooms. I liked the fact that they had a little kitchen with a microwave and a refrigerator. I had tried eating there once, and the food was very good. They had a large dining room, and it was nice. They even had a table service. They also had scrabble, cards, movie nights, and a whole lot of things as part of their activities. I know that the doors were locked at 8PM, so the security was tight. Overall, it was a good community for seniors.

December 09, 2014

By Donna97910050

I thought Emeritus has a very nice setup. The woman who works there was very nice and helpful. The dining room was OK and fine. I would recommend the facility to others.

September 10, 2014

By Crystal5

We placed my aunt in Emeritus at Woodward Estates. My aunt needs extreme care with her medicine, and she has to have her blood drawn weekly. So, I like that they provide a nurse on board. I like that everything is done there as far as having her medicine, filling her prescriptions, and checking her heart rate instead of me taking her back and forth to the doctor. I love that they do all the lab work, and we eliminate a whole lot of doctor's appointments. I like that they have therapy right there on board. All the nurses there are really nice. My aunt really loves them all. The rooms are very nice. They just had a renovation. So, all the rooms have updated cabinetry, carpet, wood, and ceramic tiles. I had a meal there, and it was good. My aunt says they always have good food there. However, I think they can improve on the menu to give them more variety. The entertainment that they do for the seniors is lovely. They have a lot of activities, and they are always busy. The grounds are well kept, and I like that they are located right by a hospital. They are right next door to a senior center. Everything is convenient there. I will recommend them to others.

September 10, 2014

I liked Emeritus and if I were to choose, I would put mom there. I liked the people and talked to the staff -- they were very nice. The lady who did the interview with me was extremely helpful and she took me to all the rooms and the conversation was good. The rooms were of nice size. I did eat there and the food was good. The residents were happy as I got to talk to them. They do have many activities. I brought my sister to the place and she liked it, too. What I like best is that the residents seemed to be in a good state. It’s close to a major shopping and restaurant area, so there is plenty of stuff for the residents to do.

August 27, 2014

By Tamara4

Emeritus is closer to where my daughter lives. They're very cordial, they're very kind, and I have nothing negative to say. I think the rooms are spacious and very nice. Maybe they could decorate some of those a little bit, but most part they looked to be OK. The dining are was very nice and well kept. They had everything, like games they could play. They had a kitchen that they could access easily if they needed snacks. They have calendar of activities. It's calm, clean, and very peaceful.

May 30, 2014

By Joshua3

I came across Emeritus at Woodward Estates online, and I went there for a visit. The staff were very friendly. They waved and said hello. They had quite a variety of floor layouts. They had studios or companion suites. They were all pretty spacious, and that was really cool. With their activities, they have been doing arts and crafts. They also watch old movies and go on trips.

May 12, 2014

My visit at Emeritus at Woodward Estates is very positive. It was a great place, and I thought it was very nice, but I thought it was too big for my mom. It wouldn't fit her needs. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. It's probably one of the best places I've visited. I saw that they have activities, but I don’t remember specifically what they have. The rooms were fine.

April 10, 2014

By Greg15

Emeritus had larger facilities and larger living spaces to include private apartments. It certainly looked friendly enough. It was more like an apartment building with the facilities downstairs to go eat and to shop and things like that. So it was advantageous to be in a larger place because they had more facilities and more capabilities. The rooms were very nice. It looked like you could be quite comfortable there. My father is wheelchair-bound, so he's not involved in doing a lot of social activities. I did notice that they had some sort of fitness class.

March 20, 2014

By Cat4

I visited Emeritus. The environment was clean and seemed comfortable. The people were nice and friendly. The rooms were also clean and comfortable. I liked that they had a large rehab.

September 27, 2013

By Valerie15

I had an inquiry at Emeritus at Woodward Estates. They called me back and I went there for a visit. The lady that I talked to was very nice and she showed me around. The facility is very nice and clean. It's felt very homey. It's also a convenient place for us because it's not far from where I live. The owner was very, very friendly. The residents that I've seen there seemed to comfortable and looked like they are doing okay. The staff that toured me did say that they take the residents to church or to their doctor's appointment. She told me that the residents can also take part in planting flowers so that they feel like they are in their homes and can also help out plan the meal or even cook the meals.

September 26, 2013

By caring51411

My friend chose Emeritus because the price is right. The facility is very, very nice. I tried eating there and the food was good. I would recommend this facility.

September 25, 2013

By terriblecatlady

My grandmother has been at this facility for 8 years and it is terrible. Her daughters won't accept the facts, but even now as she is near death and needs round the clock care, they won't remove her. The food is not very good, the facility never remembered her birthday and the staff is not attentive enough. I have had other relatives in assisted living residences in other parts of the country and they were always much nicer places with employees that care much more. I don't enjoy visiting my grandmother because I get depressed with the care she is or is not receiving. Do Not put your relatives here! Find another place.

August 08, 2013

By annoyedd

Do not under any circumstances put your loved one in this place. The employees are rude and do not answer the calls of the residents. The food is horrible, there is no organization there. The other day the power went out and it was total chaois there. It was as if no one was in charge. There were dementia residents roaming the halls on the first floor looking for their rooms when they live on the second floor. The elevator was dark and there were residents going in the elevator with no supervison from the staff. My mother is very capable and has had to pull up the pants of other residents, cut up meat, etc. The place is a disaster waiting to happen. I am thinking of calling a news organization to do a under cover story on the place.

July 12, 2013

By Howard6

I visited Emeritus at Woodward Estates for myself. The facility itself looked fine. Everything looked really clean and freshly painted. I looked at an efficiency apartment and a one-bedroom apartment. All the rooms were nice and clean. They were okay. They were nice-sized rooms but I want something bigger. The efficiency apartment that I saw was big enough for a chair, a TV and a little table. Of course they have a microwave too. There was no stove in there because they serve all the meals and you have them at the dining room. Their staff was very nice and helpful too. For an efficiency apartment that includes all the meals and all the amenities, it was $3500 and that wasn't too bad, but that's more than I can really afford. Therefore, I have decided to move in with my son.

July 10, 2013

By Gloria12

Emeritus was very nice but I don't know if I could afford it because it was a little bit high. The man showed me everything including the amenities. Everything is contained there and they had people to come in and take care of you. The people were very friendly including the ones who lived there.

August 07, 2012

By Dancing317

I can't wait to get my mother out of here. Took them 45 min to come check on her after hitting the call button. So my daughter and I had to help her to the bathroom and change her etc. I timed them and another 30 min to come and get her to bring her down staris because we we were leaving.After waiting for along period of time we proceeded to take her down stairs and here come to nurses to assist her. Someone else there who is a resident said it takes them a very very long time to come and assist him after he hits the call button. My mother said it always take a long time and that's even if anycomes at all. I noticed how upbeat and friendly everyone was when you toured and got ready to sign the agreement but after that the friendliness changed and the price that I was quoted and was written on paper for the next month had jumped up over $2,000 and all of a sudden you felt like you are bothering someone. I am ready to move my mother in with me and my family so that we can take better care and watch her better. So far since she has been ther she has had 5 falls. Wondering how long it took someone to check on her. Very Disappointed.....One thing that I can say if you loved one is alert they get better treatment because they can tell but for someone like my mom who has some memory issues that get treated differently because they can't remember. For the price that we pay for her to stay there she shoud be treated like a queen. Even an employee said please watch over your mother and visit all the time. You know what I mean. I read between the lines.. Enough Said.

July 24, 2012

By Joonlee20

I thought the assisted living provider was excellent. It was very clean and had a very good environment. The facilities were very clean and open to anyone that could come in. It was very open as I can say, the staff were enlightening and very kind. They helped me find my friend's name as soon as I got there and explained to me more about the details of the facility. When I got to meet my friend, he told me about how good care they give him and that he wouldn't be alive without this kind of excellent facility. Overall, I was very impressed with the inside and outside of the assisted living provider here in Bowie, Maryland. Everywhere I looked was clean and even the restrooms were spotless. The only problem that I dealt here at this assisted living provider was that the hallways were a little too small, and it became very crowded as people walked both ways in the hallway almost causing a traffic. However, other than that the facility and outlook of the living provider was in very good shape.

February 24, 2012

By timf2856

The assisted living was for my aunt. She is relatively in bad shape. She can't do a lot of things on her own so she needs to be assisted in her living. We sent her to this facility because it seemed like a good option; however, after she was there we quickly found out that it was not a good choice. They rarely helped her so relatives had to go there almost every day to help her out. We continued to ask them to help her and they always told us that they would but after we left she told us about how they didn't help her after we left. We continued to help her trying to transition into the new place but she was unhappy there and the people started to become very rude to us. We eventually grew so unhappy with them we decided to move her to another facility. We were very unhappy with this place.

Photos of Brookdale Woodward Estates

Services & Amenities of Brookdale Woodward Estates

About Brookdale Woodward Estates

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Woodward Estates