Golden West offers both independent living and assisted living. I'm more familiar with the older assisted living part, which offers subsidized HUD housing. I've had clients there and have been there many times. But they also have a newer building for independent living residents.
Overall, Golden West has a good reputation in the community. It's right in Boulder"”and has incredible views of the Flatirons, the rocky cliffs just west of town.
- The community room on the top level has awesome views.
- The resident's rooms all have big windows, which let in lots of light.
- The direct care staff is good, diligent, caring, well trained. They're very clear on who's a good fit and communicate that clearly to families.
- The ownership is non-profit, independent. They've been there a long time and have a good reputation.
- The activities are good: They have a lot of outings, which are popular, and entertainment, like a piano player and such. There's also an onsite fitness area, which is popular. And there are lots of informal groups in the independent living part of the facility.
- Parking can be a challenge for visitors.
- There's not much outdoor space for residents.
- Some rooms in the assisted living part of the facility are pretty small.
- The subsidized, older assisted living building feels dated compared to the newer building.
- The food is institutional"”not bad, but not restaurant quality, either.
- They don't offer memory care.