Brookdale Castle Hills

5955 Castle Drive, Boise, ID, 83703

Reviews of Brookdale Castle Hills

Caring96163950 October 27, 2014

I used to work in long-term care and I had the feeling of that kind of environment when I went into the dining room at Emeritus at Summer Wind. People were just sitting there and eating their meals, something they had to do to get it over with. Also, the people appeared older, quite a bit older than me. They did have a few independent living rooms but it just wasn't the atmosphere that I was looking for. However, the staff was very nice and very accommodating.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Your input is very important to us and we will share your feedback to help better serve our residents in the future.

Elaine21 August 24, 2014

I moved my sister to Emeritus last July 9th. The staff was very friendly and easy to work with. She was able to get a one-bedroom apartment -- they only have a few of those, so she was able to get a bigger room, which I appreciated. Most units are studio deluxe apartments. They have religious activities and outings every so often to visit some place. They have the usual Bingo as well as arts and crafts.

Caring83109150 April 30, 2014

Emeritus at Summer Wind seemed very clean. I was impressed with this facility. The people there were very friendly and very informative. They gave me a lot of good information. They did a very nice tour and explained everything about it and how it works. They also gave me a cost breakdown. They all provided it in a very friendly way. They had basically kind of like a large bedroom with a bathroom and a little sitting area. Some of their apartments did have a small sink and a small kitchenette. However, the facility wasn't what I needed for my parents.

Caring80486050 March 26, 2014

The staff, as far as the tour went, was excellent, but I wasn't a big fan of Summer Wind. My mother wanted to be there because she's familiar with the neighborhood, and it's right across the street from her church. The rooms are adequate, and they appear to be clean. The food is institutional. Since Mom has been there, the staff have been helpful and friendly. But it probably wouldn't have been the facility that I would have selected.

Caring77304050 February 27, 2014

I visited Emeritus and I don't think it was very clean. Everything seemed very cluttered and there were a lot of stuff around, which was the biggest turn-off about the place. They had open doors where you could see residents inside. It could use updating. However, the staff was very nice, friendly and accommodating though not as enthusiastic as in some other places. Everybody seemed clean and in good spirits.

Elizabeth L December 24, 2013

Summerwind staff was warm and encouraging when evaluating it as a home for Dad. As a Medicaid patient, Dad's accommodations were limited due to restricted funding. That we understood and expected. However, the room he shared was disproportionately divided in favor of the incumbent resident and staff was reluctant to adjust the partition to even out the space. Additionally, staff goes along with an unwritten policy that is driven by residents to enable residents to develop and support cliques. At more than one occasion, when Dad tried to sit at a new table to meet new people both residents and staff asked him to find another seat as the table he initially chose was "designated" for another resident. My suggestion is staff work with residents -- current and incoming -- to devise a more welcoming atmosphere. Social involvement is critical for individuals at this stage of life and we were left with the feeling that administration overlooked unspoken segregation because of anticipated objections by those who had been with the facility for some time. Bottom line: for the first few months Dad found himself sitting alone at meal times.

Lara1 June 07, 2013

Summer Wind was a very nice, clean and fresh place. It was close to us. The people are very friendly and helpful. My husband got a shared room for his mom there because she's in Medicaid. My husband said the food is good and mom-in-law likes the food there too. There's a hair-cutting facility there and they take the residents to stores and restaurants. Overall it's very nice.

Ryanne February 22, 2012

Food is awful looking, mushy greasy, and nothing fresh. I tasted it. Staff pleasant but quite incompetent, unable to keep records well of residents or give reliable information to outside services. ie doctor ordered physical therapy. Communication between services and departments there are poor to non existent. Laundry ruins and looses clothes even if they are labeled. Is clean looking when you walk in, but resident room was dusty on the dresser and bookcase and appeared to not have been dusted in several weeks. Definitely would not recommend this place to anyone who cares about their family member.

specialhera September 29, 2011

Nutrition is an issue at this facility. Few home-made soups and few fresh fruits and vegetables are served at meal time.

From Brookdale Castle Hills

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale Castle Hills