HORRIBLE! We visited my Mother-In-Law and found her outside at the front gate trying to get out. There was no caregiver around or even aware that she was outside trying to get out the front gate. There are alarms on the doors, but they go off so often that the caregivers have become desensitized by the door alarms. That's not good when you have a relative wanting to escape. With 36-40 residents, and only a handful of caregivers, there is no way they can keep track of them all.
Also, this facility is absolutely filthy! The worst of it for my Mother-in-Law is the bathroom. First off, the portable hand rails around the toilet was completely missing the seat. There was no way for anyone to be able to sit on the "over the toilet" seat because there wasn't one. The toilet itself had urine and feces on, in, and around the outside of the bowl, including the floor at the base of the toilet. It looked as if the bathroom hadn't been cleaned in at least a few days.
The facility overall is very run down. It was VERY DEPRESSING to visit my Mother-in-Law there. We tried to get her out into the sunlight (since residents are virtually on top of each other hanging out in the hallways), so we went out into the "garden" patio. It was fine, UNTIL another resident joined us and begging us or a cigarette. Then a caregiver came out and gave him a cig and lit it up near us. I was in SHOCK! Elderly people who are ill already (including my Mother-In-Law's roommate who gave my mother-in-law a respiratory illness), absolutely do NOT need to be further poisoned by first hand and second-hand cigarette smoke. Again, I was in SHOCK that there was NO regard for us sitting in the ONLY outside location available at this facility, that the caregiver would actually light up a cigarette for another elderly resident in our presence. Where were we to go for some peace and quiet???? Back inside the depressing and dark building??? There is no where to visit within my Mother-in-law's room since the small room is filled with 2 hospital beds, 3 nightstands and dressers and a single recliner. Me and my husband left there simply mortified with the condition of the place, the cigarette smoking (of which I'm incredibly allergic to - so we had to cut our visit short), and the fact that it felt more like a nursing home.
OH, I also failed to mention that the residents all look like they need a good bath. The most shocking was to see an elderly gentleman walking around BAREFOOT and with no shirt on. It was obvious that this man had been barefoot a very long time since his feet were black on the bottoms. Then he eventually had no shirt on walking around outside in the cold. He was this way for at least the 2 hours we were there visiting. It was heart wrenching to watch.
ONE visit with my Mother-In-Law and we're immediately looking to move her out of this very depressing facility!