Brookdale Riverwalk

350 Calloway Drive, Bakersfield, CA, 93312

Reviews of Brookdale Riverwalk

Pat101406150 January 22, 2015

The rooms at Glenwood Gardens were really big. They were well staffed. They were very clean. The meals looked very nice. It was a cushier scenario, and the price was higher than all the others in the area. They had a wonderful activity program. They had trips for the ones who could go out. They had activities going on at different times every day. The lunch that I had when I went to a nursing conference there was very good. I would give them a 5 provided you could afford it.

Caring95691650 September 30, 2014

Glenwood Gardens is a pleasant facility. They have double rooms as well as triple rooms. I really don’t know exactly with regards to their activities, but I think they play bingo. The staff were very pleasant and really nice. We had a meal there and it was good. They had a nice variety to choose from.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Please be assured that we are always trying to engage our residents through scheduled programs and outings designed with their interests and capabilities in mind. From fitness and education programs to cultural and social events, there is something for everyone!

John89753450 July 19, 2014

I've been to Glenwood Gardens visiting someone down there. It was the cheapest one I saw. I have the money to get in there, but they won't take me. They had nice rooms. They have nice equipment. They had all sorts of different games, and they have some people come in and put on music and sing. They have a living room and kitchen combination, and they have a separate bedroom and a big bathroom. I ate dinner several times; it was very good. It was a real nice dining room. It could be like a hotel.

Caring87234450 June 28, 2014

The rooms in Glenwood gardens were of adequate size. They have options for studios versus one-bedroom apartments. I saw some people around, and they seemed OK. The dining facility is cafeteria style, and they have two or three different choices. They have a fairly active calendar. They took residents on tours, they’ve got game nights, and music comes in sometimes.

Barbara79763750 February 27, 2014

Glenwood Gardens has a memory care unit but they didn't have anything that went in between the memory unit and the regular care. Everybody seemed happy and friendly. The residents seemed well cared for, happy and friendly and it seemed like a nice living environment.

Sheri5 November 27, 2013

The staff at Glenwood Garden seemed very nice. The lady that took us around was very professional and very nice. The facility looked clean and well taken care of. The rooms looked good and I was very impressed with it. They do have activities and every time we went to visit my dad when he was there two years ago, there was something going on or something planned.

Peggy22 November 20, 2013

If I would have my choice in Bakersfield, I would want to live in Glenwood Gardens. Actually I went there for my physical therapy after my stroke. That was a wonderful place. The people there were wonderful too. They did have a menu of several different things. They have a section there at mealtimes that you can choose what you want or they have waiters or waitresses that come to your table. It was just like in a restaurant. I would like to be in Glenwood Gardens, but it's very expensive. I can't afford to live there.

caring10251 October 27, 2012

Glenwood Gardens was very nice, but I couldn't afford it. It was like the Four Seasons. The staff was very nice. They do have wonderful social activities for their residents.

bigdeezle September 18, 2012

very expensive facility. everything provided for the live in patient. staff was helpful on occasions and. they had a restaurant you could take your family to that was very high end. the food was good. they had a very nice gym that was never busy but fully stocked with all the gym equipment you could ask for. they kept the living facilities very clean and the grounds were kept nice. there was constant security day and night. i never heard of any problems going on with any crime or anything related.

Amy Grant May 19, 2012

The grounds were beautiful and thoughtfully planned out for ease of mobility. Everything was clean. The staff are kind and efficient. Our family friend saw her caregivers as extended family. The room was well appointed. We were impressed by the salon and workout areas on site. The food was good and our friend said it was better than some other places she had been. The independent living cottages are nice if that is an option for you.

From Brookdale Riverwalk

Brookdale Riverwalk, formerly known as Glenwood Gardens, is a senior living community in Bakersfield, California that provides everything from independent living to skilled nursing care. The community is the culmination of a mission to provide the best possible care for its residents, whether they want to live independently or require assisted living, require memory care, or skilled nursing.

The community’s staff encourage residents to maintain a full and healthy life, in part by helping them keep up with favorite hobbies or engaging them in new ones. The community offers various levels of support tailored to individual residents and developed with help from residents’ families, doctors, and therapists.

Considering Costs

Costs at Brookdale Riverwalk are charged on a monthly basis, similar to paying a lease on an apartment. Monthly fees include the price of housing, meals, housekeeping, transportation, and a host of community amenities including a pool, gym and library and a full calendar of activities and events.

Several financial support options are available to residents depending on their individual circumstances. Staff support to help residents sell their homes is also available, and Elderlife Financial provides low-cost bridging options to support the initial move to Brookdale Riverwalk For veterans and their spouses, veterans’ benefits can help cover monthly costs.

Amenities

Brookdale Riverwalk provides a variety of amenities within each apartment and for the community as a whole. Each home within the community includes a living and sleeping area, private bathroom with shower, patio access, kitchen with full-size refrigerator and microwave, and basic cable TV.

The community’s facilities are designed to foster a communal feel and promote its residents’ physical and mental health. Residents have access to the community’s heated pool, along with high-speed Internet in the Center for Learning, a garden terrace and an outdoor dining patio. Meals are cooked fresh and served up in the community’s dining room, with a range of menu choices offered daily.

Never a Dull Day

Residents are encouraged to become full members of the community, both within Brookdale Riverwalk and the surrounding Bakersfield community. Onsite, residents can take part in everything from board games and puzzles to Tai Chi, water aerobics, and Wii bowling alongside organized movies nights and happy hours. Staff typically organizes several group outings each week to local shopping centers, restaurants and churches.

A Focus on Memory Care

While Brookdale Riverwalk caters to a wide range of senior health needs, it is best known for the care it provides to residents with dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. These residents live in a secure care wing where they receive extra support and take part in daily, organized activities aimed at maintaining memory and boosting brain health.

The community’s “Mind Body Awareness Club” is an integral part of this program. The focus on care for cognitive impairments makes this community ideal for seniors with dementia or other memory impairments requiring extra support.

We are the only community in Bakersfield that offers 24/7 day a week nursing care. We are also the only gated community. We are a beautiful Continuing Care Retirement Community in a resort like setting.

Features of Brookdale Riverwalk