Canterbury Gardens

11265 East Mississippi Avenue, Aurora, CO, 80012

Reviews of Canterbury Gardens

sherry G. November 29, 2015

Visited this place and I must tell you it is NOT worth it. Let me begin with the rudeness of the staff, they actually DO NOT care for your loved one! We chatted with a couple of the staff who basically were more interested in being on their cell phones than anything else. Could not find the nurse, was told she was probably out smoking or hanging out with her boyfriend? Really? Also witnessed a couple cockroaches in the dining room and out in the common area and staff didn't care. As we were about to leave, a resident had pulled us aside and informed us that we shouldn't move our loved one in here, we asked why and the resident said that the staff are only here for a paycheck, they don't care for us residents and there are all sorts of bug issues like cockroaches and was told there is a bed bug problem too? Could not talk with the administrator, she was at the front reception desk yelling at a resident. Horrible place, worth zero stars but caring.com wont let you leave a zero score.

Thank you for your comment. While we do apologize for this unfortunate interaction you had at our community. We can assure you that staff can and are able to be reached at all times of the day, so there must have been some miscommunication. We also have Terminix come in and work in rooms if there are ever problems. We would love to have you come back to give you the real Canterbury Gardens’ experience, and see all of our new renovations!

Resident Mort November 10, 2015

I wish to commend that maintenance department of Canterbury, John (the manager), Adam and Marcus. They do an excellent job of maintaining the buildings. They must be recognized by corporate for their excellent job at Canterbury.

Resident, Morton Litvak

Thank you for acknowledging what wonderful work out staff does day in and day out! We really do appreciate your feedback.

Ann-Marie S. November 08, 2015

The choice for elders to move to assisted living is often a painful one. Finding the right one for relatives even harder.

What I can say is that Canterbury Gardens is a place with heart and soul, something I didn't find everywhere. It is a very large, and possibly not for all situations, but for my mom it was perfect. She was not overly compromised but needed medications, meals, and the occasional guidance.

I don't know if the facility has higher levels of care, but she was very independent and needed a place that respected that, which Canterbury staff did. It is not upscale, but the vintage wooden hallways and rooms are beautiful and roomy compared to many sterile environments I have seen. My mother had a sliding glass door to a nice patio, a large bathroom and an easy short walk to a lovely dining area near her room.

I found the staff always responsive to issues and open to solving even the most unique problems. It is amazing to me how they do it.

Now that she is gone, I am really happy that she got to spend her final couple of years in such an open and easy environment with people around her who cared about her.

I know from the journal which my mom kept that she walked freely day and night and always felt safe.

Thank you Canterbury. Your staff and facility made a positive difference.

We appreciate your response! It is our goal to provide excellent care for your relatives, and make this their home. We are glad your relative had such a wonderful experience with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

Rockn robin October 29, 2015

I like the pricing of Canterbury Gardens. The surrounding is very nice. I saw that the residents are happy. With regards to their activities, they go to the local grocery stores, swimming, and others.

Thank you for your response! We appreciate your feedback and we are happy to hear of your positive experience with Canterbury Gardens.

Caring113957850 October 05, 2015

Canterbury Gardens seemed nice, but it was too far for us. We didn't really get to see the rooms because they didn't have any to show us. Also, we didn't see any activities. However, I was there for a very short time. I would recommend them if they live over that area. The facility looked clean too.

Thank you so very much for visiting Canterbury. We appreciated your stopping by and also taking the time to give us some feedback on your visit. We take great pride in making sure our community is welcoming and clean and are pleased that you noticed this during your short visit. We are truly sorry that a room was not available for you to see and are making every effort going forward to ensure that during all visiting times we have rooms available for our visitors to view and someone alongside to answer any questions that arise.

We are a very active community, with outings most every day as well as staff and resident hosted activities in all of your buildings. Should you be interested in stopping in again, we’ll be certain to include more details and visibility into what is happening at Canterbury! Thanks you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Leigh4 July 29, 2015

Canterbury Gardens wasn't as updated or modern as some of the other ones, but they had this really cute apartment that overlooked an inside screened courtyard where people could sit and socialize. They were working on renovating the rooms, and they were tinier than the other ones, but they were nice. They had a nice dining room. They had the typical activities like bingo. The staff was very helpful.

Thank you for visiting Canterbury Gardens. Our community has been undergoing renovations the past year, and we are continuing improvements daily. Canterbury Gardens takes pride in providing the highest quality care and attentiveness to our residents. We are more than what meets the eye, and we encourage you to come in and tour today!

Caring109751550 July 15, 2015

I like the location. I think they are pretty updated, and they were painting the interior when I arrived; they just completed that. The exterior, landscaping, and cosmetic look on the outside is above average, as well as the inside, so I can’t say anything negative about it. It is called the Canterbury Gardens. I moved in here in May.

WOW- thank you for your kind note! We are so happy that you chose Canterbury Gardens. Our wonderful team is continuing to work hard to improve our community every day, and we appreciate you noticing.

Caring103806350 January 04, 2015

Canterbury Inn is close to where my mom used to live. The staff is very nice and accommodating. The room was adequate. I thought the food was OK, but mom doesn’t like it as she is used to her own cooking. They have Bingo, card games, outings, and all kinds of things going on.

Thank you for choosing Canterbury Gardens to care for your mother. We understand that not being able to prepare your own meals can be a difficult transition. Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

Ed29 December 26, 2014

I like the way that this part of the assisted living at Canterbury Gardens is set up. Basically, I've got my own one-bedroom apartment, it's got a small kitchen area with a refrigerator, and I've got my own microwave, my own bathroom, and shower. They don't have nursing staff, but they got resident assistants who basically have no training at all. The company that owned it for a while brought in a new management and they are kind of getting the grounds, so they are looking a little better. We get three meals a day, and the food is getting better, but it is not the greatest. They go to lunch once a week and then have like a trip down to Walmart or Target about once a week or to the grocery stores.

Thank you for choosing Canterbury Gardens. We appreciate you expressing the positive changes that we are making to improve the overall experience at Canterbury Gardens. Our wellness department is comprised of a full time licensed nurse, and caregivers which receive ongoing training to meet the resident’s needs. Furthermore, our dietary manager is meeting monthly with the residents to discuss their dietary desires and make updates to the menus.

Mrs Murphy August 17, 2014

DO NOT SEND YOUR LOVED ONE HERE . THINGS ARE STOLEN FROM YOUR APARTMENT STAFF DOES NOTHING WHEN REPORTED . TWO PEOPLE WERE ATTACKED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT BY SOMEONE WALKING IN OFF THE STREET

Thank you for your note. Canterbury Gardens is a large community that caters to assisted and independent residents. Our community has an all new leadership team and has made changes to address all of your concerns. We would highly recommend you come visit and tour our community to see the changes for yourself.

;ld August 08, 2014

Kitchen shut down by Department of Health on July 26, 2014 due to many issues.

We appreciate your comment, and acknowledge your concern. Canterbury Gardens has changed our kitchen operations and management to respond to health department concerns. We would love to have you come in to see for yourself the progress and advances we have made.

thankfully gone from here February 26, 2014

THIS IS THE WORSE PLACE. THE FOOD IS HIGH FAT THEY SAY YOU HAVE CHOICES BUT YOU DON'T. THEY PROMISE A LOT BEFORE YOU MOVE IN BUT WHEN YOU GET THERE IT IS NOTHING LIKE THEY PROMISE. THEY LOSE YOUR MEDICATION,LAUNDRY,MAIL. IF YOU NEED HELP THE PANIC BUTTONS DON'T WORK. HIGH R.A. TURN OVER DO NOT SEND LOVED ONES HERE

Thank you for your feedback. Canterbury Gardens is sorry for your negative experience. We have changed our whole leadership team since your review, and have made enhancements and updates to all areas of our campus. We would love to have you come for a tour to see for yourself.

Toni3 October 30, 2013

I'm not happy with Canterbury Gardens. The facility is not clean and they promised me a lot of stuff. They had this rugged curtains and they even lost my laundry. The food is not tasty at all. They had to transfer that to our area and by the time they transfer the food to us, it's already cold. With regards to their activities, they go to different places and they play cards and bingo. I would not recommend that to my dog.

We appreciate your feedback. We are sorry you had these experiences, and thank you for sharing them. We value input from former residents. Canterbury Gardens has taken your feedback seriously, and have made appropriate changes to improve all areas of our community.

Garnet1 June 28, 2013

There was a vacancy at Canterbury Gardens when I was about to leave out of the rehab that's why I came here. I love my apartment. I'm on the back side of the pond, here with ducks and frogs. I love seeing the greenery. It's wonderful. But they as a company, I feel so bad. They don't have a CNA or RN. They just had a residential aide and so if anything happens to you, you better be able to call 911. This is totally misconstrued to me and my children who visits here. I want to get in a better place. I hate to be so negative about the company, but they just can't keep employees.

So glad to hear that you are one of the many happy residents that enjoy a thriving lifestyle at Canterbury Gardens. As you are well aware we have made changes in the overall quality of staff and do have a full time wellness director who is a licensed nurse, and many of our care givers are CNA’s. In addition, our staff are trained in monitoring residents for change of condition and responding appropriately to the individual resident’s needs.

lagower May 02, 2012

"Canterbury Gardens" was a caring and social environment. There were always interesting persons in the "garden" area of the facility. The apartment that my aunt and uncle resided in was a perfect size for them to feel comfortable. It was furnished and yet they were allowed to bring in their favorite chairs and lamps, pictures, etc. The staff facilitated their move by helping mount pictures and arrange furniture. My aunt and uncle had the option to cook, but were welcomed into the dining area and they chose to have their meals provided. The staff was wonderful and caring.

Thank you for your note! We appreciate your feedback, and are thrilled you had and are having such an amazing experience with Canterbury Gardens. We strive to be the best, and when people notice it makes us feel great! Thank you again.

hlutze May 06, 2010

Overpromised and Underdelivered, Very Neglectful Assisted Living Center Beware

At first visit Canterbury Inn was a beautiful, well run facility with decent scores by Medicare. But the proof is really in how they treated my father after his arrival. I want to warn anyone thinking of putting their loved one here. They are a Medicaid approved facility and thus take "any warm Medicaid approved" body they can regardless whether they can care for them or not. My father had a complete assessment by their staff, they said they could care for his needs and he lasted three days before we had an ambulance remove him out due to lack of care. I understand needed to keep a facility full. But how dare they accept my father, promise to care for him and not deliver on their promises. Their sales lady is brillant and very personable. She knows how to fill rooms. Don't be fooled. Once you leave your loved on alone , they are on their own. So if you have a loved one who needs a pretty high level of care and is not self-sufficient, DO NOT put them here. Take them to a real nursing home where they are trained staff to assure their safety and care. We all want to provide a safe and independent lifestyle for our seniors but carefully look and assess their needs and the care the home provides. This is for "highly functional, low care" seniors ONLY. Even one of the staff members WARNED me about the high turnover and theft that was part of this facilities issues. She even said "don't trust what they tell you he will receive from a services standpoint". Hope this is helpful in your decision making process.

Thank you for your comments. Canterbury Gardens has changed ownership since your loved one was in our community. Our community has made tremendous enhancements to several areas and we invite you to return for a visit to check out our updates.

From Canterbury Gardens

Canterbury Gardens provides both Independent Living and Assisted Living.

Independent Living has both one and two bedroom apartments. Included within rent, our residents receive two hot meals a day, their choice, all utilities, basic cable via Comcast, and weekly house keeping.

Assisted Living has studio or one bedroom apartments. Our assisted living residents will receive three meals a day, snacks and beverages, medication management, weekly house keeping, weekly laundry, all utilities, basic cable via Comcast, and more!

All residents can participate in both leisure and group activities, as well as community outings.

Canterbury Gardens is an affordably priced independent Living Community, as well as a Medicaid accepted Assisted Living Community. The best kept secret in town.

Smoking Community (only in designated areas) - Medicaid Accepted without Spend down - Gardens & Pond

Features of Canterbury Gardens

• Technology extra: Emergency call system

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• General store
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental