The Jefferson

900 North Taylor Street, Arlington, VA, 22203

Reviews of The Jefferson

December 05, 2014

By Vicki W.

My mother recently used the Jefferson to rehab following a stay at Virginia Hospital Center. While I did not directly witness her care, I later learned there were some issues/concerns primarily with readily available, critically needed medical equipment and call response times. Based on my mother's experience, you should verify equipment is in working condition and if not, replacements are available and quickly located. Do not accept substitute alternatives dependent on staff monitoring. Though staff response to call button was generally acceptable there were times it exceeded 30 minutes. On a positive note, the Physical Therapy Department was impressive. Although my mother only had an initial assessment it was apparent the entire PT staff was caring and dedicated. I avoided addressing the doctor issue because when at Jefferson he is in charge! Although morally I think he should have discussed with VHC doctors and my mother before he overrode instructions. Also, consider the language issue because technically they spoke English but some (most) not too well. I'm told that is what you get in those kind of facilities in large cities. Given my mother's hearing problems it was an even more difficult problem.

Thank you for your review. We'd like to learn more about your experience with Sunrise and please know that all concerns are taken seriously. Please email us at Information@SunriseSeniorLiving.com Thank you, Sunrise Team

October 16, 2014

By Beth25

My father started in The Jefferson in their rehab hospital, and we were very impressed by their care. I really feel that the staff is incredibly tolerant and helpful. The rooms are clean, and what’s nice is that they have specialized assisted living, so my father has some significant needs that other assisted living wouldn’t provide for him, but he gets round the clock care, checked on every two hours, and help with things like toileting and personal hygiene, which some assisted living don’t really help with. So the staff gets the level of care that he needed, and that was really important. I’ve spent some time there, and I have noticed that people are dealing with difficult patients but they never lose their cool, and they’re always kind and professional.

September 23, 2014

The Jefferson wasn’t too bad. My father was in the rehab section for 3 or 4 months. It wasn’t staffed quite to the level it probably should be for a rehab. There were a couple of good people and then a couple of people who were probably too busy to do much of anything. So it was when you’re trying to make sure that medications are being administered and food is being delivered and provided. The food was nothing spectacular. They have a full calendar and a lot of activities going on, but it’s also a condominium facility. It could have been better, but they were missing things. Each staff member would take the blood pressure. They weren’t really communicating together, so it was too many unconnected people dealing with the place. They could coordinate the treatment and tell people what’s coming as opposed to dropping in when it’s convenient for the doctors and have the doctors schedule the time.

August 13, 2014

By Irina1

The only thing I didn't like about The Jefferson was that there was no parking. Parking was really bad. The people are nice and friendly. It was all clean; it smelled good. They did have people who were cleaning up or picking up or doing something while I was there. There are different things for different people, including card games. They take you on bus tours. They also show movies there.

May 28, 2014

By howard6679

The Jefferson is very organized and comfortable, it just felt right. The room I looked at was a one-bedroom with a den that you could use as an office or TV room, a living room, a small kitchen, and another room, which you could use as a guest bedroom. The one I looked at was carpeted. The staff I met was quite nice. The entire facility was very clean. They had exercise classes in their pool. They had a gymnasium and a library. They had a series of events sponsored there.

January 24, 2014

By Rochonuscg

We visited The Jefferson over a year ago. It is not in the location that we want. It's in a congested area of Arlington. It didn't give us the homey feeling. The place was quite large. But the staff were very nice and accommodating. There was one young lady who gave us most of the time. The common area was nice too. There was a little party going on. I thought the dining area was nice. It was very clean as well.

November 21, 2013

I was impressed with The Jefferson. The facility was very nice. They did have a setup for eating and the way they get people together at mealtime, I think this was very beneficial for the people that live there. The food was good; I've eaten there myself.

July 24, 2013

By HappyToVisit

I was impressed with the rooms of Jefferson and the closet space. They are situated in downtown Arlington and a block from the Metro. Their food was tasty, we had lunch there and they had an attractive buffet. The server was attentive. The apartments are well insulated and soundproof but once you are outside, you are assaulted with all kinds of street noise and we decided we wanted a quieter location. Also, they did not have activities that we were looking for.

December 12, 2012

By pme

My mother lives in the memory care unit at this facility. Overall, my family's experience has been very positive. My mother is well cared for and seems very comfortable in her environment. Above all, the caregivers have expressed genuine concern for my mother and our entire family. We began hospice care several months ago and the staff at the memory care unit have worked seemlessly with the hospice providers to assure the best possible care as my mother's health declines.

September 01, 2011

By Tom2

Another property run by Sunrise. This is a highrise property in Ballston VA. It is located very close to the metro so if urban high rise living is what you are looking for this is a good match. The apartments and furnishings are attractive and the staff is very attentive. The only big downside in my view is the location in that it is right in the center of a very busy part of town. There are lots of activities including trips into downtown DC for events at kennedy center and elsewhere.

Photos of The Jefferson

About The Jefferson

Just one block from the Ballston Common Mall and the Metro in Arlington, Virginia, The Jefferson is a condominium retirement community making a lasting impression in senior living. From its dramatic architecture to its lovely living room, dining room and common areas, The Jefferson offers comfort and elegance. Our residents are proud to have family and friends visit, and often invite guests to lunch or dinner, especially to our Sunday champagne brunch. Our proximity to the nation's capital allows The Jefferson's residents to enjoy a variety of intellectual, cultural and social activities - inside and outside the community.

Sunrise Independent Living is for seniors who want to maintain their rich and rewarding life without the responsibilities of running a household. Here, you?re given independence and options. We offer a choice of apartment floor plans, restaurant-style dining, housekeeping services, exercise and wellness programs, and much more. It's ideal if you're an active senior who wants to focus on the things you enjoy most in life, but yet have assistance available should you need it.

Map of The Jefferson