The Commons at Dallas Ranch

4751 Dallas Ranch Road, Antioch, CA, 94531

Reviews of The Commons at Dallas Ranch

August 31, 2015

By Wendy36

My mom was very much neglected at The Commons. She had to be admitted to the hospital because she had malnutrition, no food, and dehydration. This place was horrible. She was in the Village, which was the memory care unit, and it was separate from the other part, which was just the senior living. She was alone in her room, I went to pick her up because the doctor wanted her to have a blood test because she wasn't doing well, and she was naked with a diaper on, with the air conditioning at full blast, and no cover on her at all. I would tell people who wanted to send their loved ones there, don't do it; just don't do it. This place was awful. The food was terrible. She wouldn't eat the food, and they wouldn't accommodate her or give her anything that she really wanted to have, so she ended up in the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration. They have to have some sort of device in the patient's room where they can signal for help other than just the bustling. I am so outraged over the whole thing. then, they wanted to charge me an additional $5,000 a month in rent because she left, and I didn't give them 30 days notice, but I said I wouldn't pay.

August 03, 2015

By girly-girl

I have a relative at this care center. And to be honest there are some ups and downs but I love their nice staff and how they have plenty of activities for the residents and their food is GREAT! But what matters most is if my relative likes it there and I think she does!

October 30, 2014

By Not Adequate

DO NOT place a relative in the dementia care unit of this facility. It is clear that the new management company could not care less about the quality of care for these residents and are driven strictly by money hunger. Believe me this company goes out of it's way to put on a good "front" by maintaining the cleansing and appearance of the facility and yet they invest nothing in providing adequate staffing to care for the residents. Residents are now piled into rooms without regard for the compatibility of residents. For the most part all of the residents are herded into a crowded TV room each day and left to vegetate without supervision throughout the day. The caregivers that are there are hard workers and truly care about the residents but they are woefully over-worked and understaffed. Med-techs, who should be focused on dispensing meds., are often called away from that task to assist with a resident. This is a recipe for disaster. The safety and security of the residents is of little concern to management as long as the place "looks good". The food quality has steadily declined and is primarily quick fix, heat and serve processed food. If you visit this facility be sure to really observe the "care" of the residents and not just the facility appearance.

October 04, 2014

By V.P. Robbins

My father has been very happy living here. There a couple of staff members that are so sweet and kind and take the time to actually talk to him. However, new manager, Mike ?, is unbelievable!!! Nice to you when in front of him however when not there...the story changes. He does not ever return phone calls...never available to meet however does take the time to meet with father to say he will now only get one bath vs three baths a week! Orginal contract was for 3......he is indignant, disrespectful and does not have a clue as to how this affects the elderly.

May 14, 2014

By icantbelieveit

When my friends first put their loved one in this facility on the dementia side, it boasted great services and care..this is what they found out after being there for a short period of time..1. consistent shortage of staff workers 2. consistent changing of the manangement staff 3. accidents of their loved one not being addressed..and these are just a few of the issues..NOW they have doubled the rates for many of the rooms..they are forcing residents to either double up or pay hundreds of dollars more...you might wonder, are they increasing their staff? NO...but they are increasing their POCKETBOOKS while dementia patients suffer from inadequate, overworked staffing...their care is very questionable and the leaders are bewildered, befuddled and disoriented and could care less if there is enough staff to adequately and safely insure the care of their residents...think twice before sending your loved ones here...and, IF you do, WATCH them and their supposed excellent care...believe me, you do not want your loved one here...there is no accountability with management..the only accountability is... THEIR income....this management team is unfeeling, uncaring, unemotional and insensitive to the plight of dementia victims..would this be the type of place where you would consider putting your loved one? I should hope not!

March 25, 2014

By Caring Niece9

I was very happy with this facility initially. Not any more. Two years brought in three different management companies. With the current management company, Aretgan, care is not the top priority but money is. In memory care, in order to keep their private rooms and bath residents have to pay $2000 plus more a month. As residence leave, those rooms are being converted in to two people room. The closets are the single door kind with shelving on one half, there is no possibility of storing a weeks worth of hanging clothes you also need to downsize to a single bed to get in more chest of drawers. They are using memory care to move in people form the assisted living side without memory issues which is causing a multitude of problems beginning with the residence complainning which you can't blame them. There you are stuck in a wheel chair being told you need to move for better care and then you have to deal with people wondering in your room 24-7, taking your things. Learned one resident was movd there because she was such a problem so let's inflict them on the dementia side, they won't remember their discomfort long enough to complain. I personally believe they were moved as their contracts, written when the market crashed had low rates. One woman was told she could move her dad back to the non memory side, or by the way, you now get to pay the street rate which is $1000 a more a month than he was paying. The food quality has fallen. The memory care side staff is not trainned, they have no clue what "he's diabetic" means. The majority of staff are tiny women who have a horrible time transferring wheelchair people. About the only good things I can say about memory care is the Director, Teresa is wonderful with the families and residence and the two male med tech and a couple of the girl med tech really do love the residence.

December 23, 2013

By Hula Mama

I was in dire need of a vacation and was concerned about leaving my husband at home with minimal supervision. He has early stage Parkinson's Disease and a chronic pain issue. I heard from a trusted friend that The Commons/Assisted Living @ Dallas Ranch offers excellent respite care. I was going to be gone for one week and knew I'd feel so much better and enjoy my time away more if I knew a team of caregivers were attending to my husband's needs. My husband (of almost 50 years) was willing to give The Commons a try after meeting with their intake director, on-site nurse, and staff who would be providing his medication and meal service. I'm pleased to report it was a good fit and successful match. In fact, he said to me when the time comes that he needs care I can no longer provide at home, The Commons would be his first choice for assisted living. He liked the extra attention he received from every staff person, starting with strawberry dipped chocolates waiting for him the day of his arrival and a few days later his favorite milkshake when a craving for a strawberry shake crossed his mind. It took a little extra effort on my part to make sure I met The Commons guidelines for a short term resident stay but that was a small price to pay knowing that my husbands safety, security and comfort were of paramount importance to them and to me. In conclusion, his week away from home was restorative for him plus I had a delightful time in Hawaii while attending an event for our daughter, who wanted mom to be present when she received an award. Everyone was happy!

October 09, 2013

By Friend of the elderly

I chose this facility for a family member as it was clean, reasonable priced, good meals and low turn over of employees. In the past two years it now has it's 3rd new management team and with each change numerous new faces. Changes made were for the most part uncessary and are causing stress for the residents. I am all for change if it is necessary but some things are not necessary. The residents of this facility are the seniors among seniors. Change causes them anxiety and leads to memory issues so why, since it was not a safety issue would you change the day their room is clean. I am told it was for the convenience of staff. Be it not better for staff to pop around this facility then making 80 and 90 year olds find another day and activity to keep themselves busy when their rooms are cleanned. Why switch tables around, they like eating with the same people which is not possible when you go from a 6 person table to a 4 person table but the biggest thing is replacing the front loading washer with top loading washer. Due to limited motion they may get the clothes loaded but have difficulty unloading. A stool could mean slipping. Jumping up could mean cracked ribs. These management companies are suppose to be familiar with the elderly and their their needs such as limitations of motion and should know from experience changes are hard on them. The other day my family member was told to return to their room for their medication, in the past, they would see them in the lobby and give it to them. Is it not better for the worker to find them rather then make them go to their room? A year ago I would have given this facility a 5 star rating. This year, they barely make 3

August 01, 2013

By Tony15

The Common at Dallas Ranch was clean and very nice. The staff is great.

August 08, 2011

By shelley1

I considered this facility for my mom. Although it was very beautiful, well decorated, friendly staff, there were a couple of things that I didn't like. My mom would have been on the 2nd floor and she would have to take an elevator down to the dining room. I believe if she opted to have dinner in her room, it would have cost extra. And in fact, the deciding factor was price. Although the monthly price was lower than other facilities, the services all cost extra. If my mom needed help with a shower or shampoo, extra$$. Help dressing, extra $$$. Who can afford NOT knowing what your monthly bill will be. Certainly, not I.

July 06, 2011

By Q1

This facility is in a really suburban neighborhood and somewhat upscale on one side, and the other is working class. It has a Lucky's and a Safeway about a mile from the facility, and there are some restaurants nearby as well. The grounds are immaculate. They have a beautiful garden, and there is walking outside the residents' rooms with lots of trees. The residents' rooms range in size. There are small studios that are about 450 square feet. The rooms go up to two-bedrooms, which are almost 1000 square feet. Each room has a refrigerator and kitchenette, though the residents have to provide a refrigerator. The common areas are really nice. They have a library with Internet access. They have about four common areas total with a gym. The staff was really welcoming. The marketing director gave me a tour of the facility, and the workers who were engaging with the residents appear very vigilant. The food was actually really good "“ I didn't taste it, but I viewed the kitchen. They have a three-course meal at breakfast, lunch, dinner, plus an all day snack and hydration area. The food smelled delicious. The residents were out at a casino when I visited. They have a full monthly calendar of activities, including exercise classes. They recently held a silent auction where the Alzheimer's patients painted the pictures that were sold and the money they raised went to Alzheimer's research. You could certainly refer someone here who is independent, and if they needed assisted living or memory care, they could transition into those units. One nice thing is that there's a resident council there with a president and other officers, and they're the ones who create the activities.

Photos of The Commons at Dallas Ranch

Services & Amenities of The Commons at Dallas Ranch

• Minimum Memory Cost: $4200/month

About The Commons at Dallas Ranch

Nestled within the well-regarded Dallas Ranch area of South Antioch in the heart of Eastern Contra Costa County, The Commons is a warm, inviting community that provides a service-enriched lifestyle and high quality person-centered care in a comfortable, contemporary family-like setting. We are conveniently located close to shops, restaurants, a multitude of recreational opportunities and excellent medical services. Antioch senior living at The Commons at Dallas Ranch is as active and carefree as you desire. You can choose from a variety of social and educational opportunities while benefiting from our service-enriched lifestyle. Whether you or your loved one enjoy one of our gracious assisted living apartment homes or require the support of our specialized memory care neighborhood, Connections for Living by MBK℠, our team of dedicated associates is committed to enriching your life and providing a warm, friendly environment with the finest services and amenities; and the most attentive support and care, everything to make you feel at home here.

Map of The Commons at Dallas Ranch