State Driving Laws in Florida
Specific rules for older drivers
- Starting at 80 years old, drivers must renew every six years and pass a vision test.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every eight years if no driving infractions.
- Renewal conditions: In person, online, or by mail for active military members only.
- Vision test: Yes, at in-person renewal and for drivers aged 80 and older.
- Written test: May be required, based on driving history, signs of physical or mental impairment based on observations of a department clerk, or a report by a law enforcement officer, a physician, a family member, or another member of the public.
- Road test: May be required if there are signs of physical or mental impairment, based on observations of a department clerk or in response to a report by a law enforcement officer, a physician, a family member, or another member of the public.
For more information
Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles
Neil Kirkman Building
2900 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0500
Stay Connected With Caring.com
Get news & tips via e-mail