Take a Break
The Best Way to Spend Your First Break of the Day
Last updated:September 21, 2011
The word breakfast literally means to break the fasting period of your night's sleep so you can refuel for the day. You've been told since you were a schoolkid how this makes it the most important meal of the day. You might not realize how easy preparing a super-nutritious version can be.
Try microwaving a half-cup of oatmeal (soluble fiber) with equal parts water and skim or 1 percent milk (calcium, protein). Add cinnamon (thought to lower blood sugar), walnut pieces (one of the most antioxidant-rich nuts), and blueberries (one of the most antioxidant-rich fruits). The result: low-fat energy that keeps you feeling fuller longer, for under 500 calories. Or try a bowl in place of a later meal, or when you need a hearty, keep-you-going snack.
-- Paula Spencer Scott
- Stretch for More Energy
- Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: How Accurate Are Movies on Aging?
- How to Write Away Your Blues
- Three Questions to Help De-Stress Your Holiday Season
- Surround Yourself With the Smell of Relaxation
- Call a Favorite Person, Face-to-Face
- Stop Multi-Tasking to Ease Stress and Get More Done
- Escaping in a Book Has Never Been Easier
- A Soothing Reason to Build Snack Breaks Into Your Day
- Creative Visits Boost Friendships "“ and Your Health