Take a Break
Oprah's Secret to Happiness
Last updated: Jul 13, 2011
Oprah popularized the idea of keeping a gratitude diary, or journal, when she confided to her viewers and readers that she writes in one daily. There's good science behind it, too: An "attitude of gratitude" seems to make people happier.
Start simply: Each morning or evening, write down, in a designated notebook (or special fancy blank journal that you buy just for this) one thing for which you're grateful. The coffee that keeps you going? A beautiful sunset? Your loved one's unexpected smile? This simple exercise forces you to think about your life -- and caregiving situation -- in a different light, and can make dark times seem a little lighter. Then, once you've been at it for a few weeks, you can use the journal to brighten bad moods by looking back on your entries.
"“ Paula Spencer Scott
- Stretch for More Energy
- Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: How Accurate Are Movies on Aging?
- How to Write Away Your Blues
- Three Questions to Help De-Stress Your Holiday Season
- Surround Yourself With the Smell of Relaxation
- Call a Favorite Person, Face-to-Face
- Stop Multi-Tasking to Ease Stress and Get More Done
- Escaping in a Book Has Never Been Easier
- A Soothing Reason to Build Snack Breaks Into Your Day
- Creative Visits Boost Friendships "“ and Your Health