Take a Break
How to Slow Your Heart Rate and Quiet Your Mind
Last updated:June 15, 2011
It's not quite as relaxing as sneaking off to a spa for a week, but sitting still and doing a series of deep breathing exercises can have a powerful, relaxing effect on your body. And you can achieve it in minutes, without having to pack or arrange alternate caregiving!
Try this: Breathe in through the mouth for a count of five. Hold it for a count of seven. Then slowly exhale through the mouth for a count of eight. Repeat five to ten times. You'll slow your heart rate and quiet your mind -- and feel better for it.
-- Paula Spencer Scott
- Stretch for More Energy
- Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: How Accurate Are Movies on Aging?
- How to Write Away Your Blues
- Three Questions to Help De-Stress Your Holiday Season
- Surround Yourself With the Smell of Relaxation
- Call a Favorite Person, Face-to-Face
- Stop Multi-Tasking to Ease Stress and Get More Done
- Escaping in a Book Has Never Been Easier
- A Soothing Reason to Build Snack Breaks Into Your Day
- Creative Visits Boost Friendships "“ and Your Health